Free Chinese Hack WiFi Gear?

MaverickNH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A URANT WiFi Range Extender showed up on my doorstep addressed to me - this is a pic of the model taken from Amazon but it had no Amazon ship markings. I never ordered the unit from Amazon or elsewhere - it shipped directly from URANT according to the shipping label. No records on Amazon or any email receipt. Just my wife at home and she didn’t order it.

After last year’s news about cheap Chinese wireless cameras that had a back donor hack I don’t think I’ll be putting it online.

61910FF2-70EF-4478-A422-8E67E4C9E0C5.png

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A URANT WiFi Range Extender showed up on my doorstep addressed to me - this is a pic of the model taken from Amazon but it had no Amazon ship markings. I never ordered the unit from Amazon or elsewhere - it shipped directly from URANT according to the shipping label. No records on Amazon or any email receipt. Just my wife at home and she didn’t order it.

After last year’s news about cheap Chinese wireless cameras that had a back donor hack I don’t think I’ll be putting it online.

View attachment 329359
Donate it to the DNC

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Legit company, ive bought those before they do work... (although i hate extenders, but different rant) Amazon probably just f***ed up a delivery

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just curious, do you ever write Amazon reviews? I could see companies sending unsolicited products to people that have reviewed similar items on Amazon.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I remember hearing stories about usb sticks dropped in front of companies that were pre-seeded with virus' hoping someone would plug it into their companies network PC.
Probably Urban Legends.....or not

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Legit company, ive bought those before they do work... (although i hate extenders, but different rant) Amazon probably just f***ed up a delivery
THIS. Never used that model, but remember, an extender is just an amplifier / repeater. It will amplify / repeat the signal AND any noise in the area.

As for the hack-ability of it. It just depends on whether or not the thing tries to phone home to somewhere in China. If you are in a rural area and you can control your firewall to limit what is allowed to leave your network, you really don't have anything to worry about. If a Chinese agent starts parking in your driveway, I think you know how to deal with that threat. :)

commodon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember hearing stories about usb sticks dropped in front of companies that were pre-seeded with virus' hoping someone would plug it into their companies network PC.
LOL, not an urban legend. ;)

I could go into greater detail, but suffice to say I've worked with quite a few companies and organizations where this was a common methodology to compromise computers associated with a target.

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Not an urban legend. The .gov got hacked this way some years back and after that we were all issued .gov approved thumb drives.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
First Annual NES Chinese Spying Hardware Shoot.

Where, when, and .... Oh wait.

These devices are small. Far smaller than a car. NES members would never even hit one.

Nevermind.
Yes, but quantity has a quality of its own... Eventually we'll hit them all...

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See how many pieces it breaks into when hit with a high speed wireless freedom seed!!
Always keep a healthy supply of Freedom Seeds, just in case of emergency!
I keep mine in these handy storage containers

1580842303535.png

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
For a couple months we got every kind of Chinese products from Amazon delivered, that we did not order. I concluded that it was a way for
companies to become 'certified' buyers so they could write their own reviews; they order their own stuff and ship to a random
customer address. After I complained to Amazon, Amazon said they couldn't do anything to stop it, yeah they don't care the reviews
on their products are all but worthless now. Eventually the stuff stopped coming. I got a cool knit cap with a flashlight built in,
an apple power supply, some bluetooth headphones, a Bluetooth bathroom scale and a bunch of other stuff, some of it pretty reasonable.

Top Bottom