Fraud, identity theft?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So long story short, my son was up in RI, not doing to well, running with the wrong crowd, bad folks. With the help of a great friend and fellow NESr, I got him home to MO.

Anyways, his old running buddies and deadbeat girlfriend have been opening credit cards in his name and trying to cash checks in his name. We've been getting mail here in MO requesting an address change back to RI and he calls some card company almost daily to alert them that it's not his card and what not.

He doesn't even have a credit card....

He knows all these people, where they live and all, but they're just professional scumbags and dealers. They had broken into his place when he wasn't there and stole his birth certificate and other important documents, then demanded money to get it back! Well, he got his stuff back somehow, but that's sketchy as all hell. Cops don't seem interested at all, but what the hell, I don't think it's right to just sit here and fight this crap off as it comes up.

He's doing great here, working a good job 40hrs a week and as much OT as he can to get on his feet and looking at going to the local Tech school in the fall. Kids trying to do all the right things and just wants to get this crap off his back. Any ideas?

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Yup.. put a hold / freeze on all the credIt reporting agencies

also contact the social security administration. They have links For identity theft and if you have tried everything, could even issue a new number

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At a minimum, your son needs to put a lock/freeze on his credit report with the reporting agencies. That might throw some red flags / stop the credit application if someone tries to open a new account somewhere.
this, like yesterday

btw there are four agencies, get them all

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
He should get a couple of credit cards, max them out and blame it on the Rhode Island crew. Blade cuts both ways...

^^^ Obviously tongue-in-cheek...

1593474710683.png1593474756232.png

Last edited:

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
there's credit cards out there with his name on it? then he has credit cards in his name. i hate to say it but his credit now is fried. where are the bills going from these fraudulently opened accounts? anyone making even a small effort of payments, whoever gets those bills?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yea, it's sleazy as heck. We're getting USPS change of address notification of them trying to change his address BACK to RI. It's pretty slam dunk I'd think but probably small fries in the big picture of problems authorities have to deal with.

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yup. Credit lock with Equifax and then go through his current credit report account by account. Will cost some bucks but cheaper than the alternative.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Well then, that sounds like MAIL FRAUD and carries its own risks for the Bad Guys...
Open a complaint with the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE.
gonna go out on a limb at say this is nothing compared to the day to day crime postal inspectors are dealing with. yeah, open a complaint but i wouldn't expect much in return.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long story short, my son was up in RI, not doing to well, running with the wrong crowd, bad folks. With the help of a great friend and fellow NESr, I got him home to MO.

Anyways, his old running buddies and deadbeat girlfriend have been opening credit cards in his name and trying to cash checks in his name. We've been getting mail here in MO requesting an address change back to RI and he calls some card company almost daily to alert them that it's not his card and what not.

He doesn't even have a credit card....

He knows all these people, where they live and all, but they're just professional scumbags and dealers. They had broken into his place when he wasn't there and stole his birth certificate and other important documents, then demanded money to get it back! Well, he got his stuff back somehow, but that's sketchy as all hell. Cops don't seem interested at all, but what the hell, I don't think it's right to just sit here and fight this crap off as it comes up.

He's doing great here, working a good job 40hrs a week and as much OT as he can to get on his feet and looking at going to the local Tech school in the fall. Kids trying to do all the right things and just wants to get this crap off his back. Any ideas?
Clark's the man. Every link and phone number you will need is here:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As always, the info and help is appreciated. It looks like they want to change his address back to RI so they can continue applying for CC's and what not. He had filed for unemployment when he lost his job due to COVID, and we got a letter from RI with an appointment for a phone consultation. All the contact info for the appointment, phone number etc, was the contact info for this scumbag in RI? Sheesh, feel sorry for the kid, hes busting his ass to catch up and doing al the right things, then has this to worry about. He works 0500-1700 so getting time to sit on hold calling who he needs to call is even a pain.

We'll keep plugging away at it, one step at a time.

hillman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Friend of mine's daughter had a similar situation with an ex doing that to her. In the end, after years of hassle, she ended up with a new SS# AND changed her name. She now goes by her middle name as her first, legally. It'll be another few years before she repairs all the credit damage too. Good luck. Those bad dudes in RI will never stop trying until it get's too hard and they move on to someone else.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Friend of mine's daughter had a similar situation with an ex doing that to her. In the end, after years of hassle, she ended up with a new SS# AND changed her name. She now goes by her middle name as her first, legally. It'll be another few years before she repairs all the credit damage too. Good luck. Those bad dudes in RI will never stop trying until it get's too hard and they move on to someone else.
With that much effort on behalf of the perpetrator, you'd think there's more than enough evidence to send someone to jail or at least levy a hefty fine and deter that behavior?

hillman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
With that much effort on behalf of the perpetrator, you'd think there's more than enough evidence to send someone to jail or at least levy a hefty fine and deter that behavior?
It has been my experience that local PD are not inclined or equipped to handle identity fraud once it leaves the downtown area of their jurisdiction. File a report, make an insurance claim, move on. There's tickets to write and stuff to confiscate, quit bothering us!

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It has been my experience that local PD are not inclined or equipped to handle identity fraud
I was rear ended at a stop light. His paperwork was an expired license and registration was a bit shaky. I called the cops and he left the scene before they arrived, and I still had his paperwork. The cop went looking for him, so I left and called the PD with his info. The PD said, file the claim and were not interested. They said it was an insurance problem. I asked the officer if driving without a license or properly registered vehicle was an insurance problem. He hung up.

Gees....

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Feds have a website for identity theft. Walks you through the steps to deal with it.

Local cops were not interested either but its important to get a police report.

hillman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Eventually one of these identity thieves literally falls into the police's hands, in which case all that work you put in filing reports, claims, and forms to fix things will result in that window licker getting a slap on the wrist, or turned loose.

Top Bottom