1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Franklin Park Zoo, worth the admission?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chuckster, Jul 10, 2018.

1. chuckster

chuckster NES Member

Wife wants to take our Granddaughter to the Franklin Park Zoo. Is it worth the price of admission or is it a craphole??

2. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry NES Member

Very nice but Southwick is safer/cheaper/cool too.

3. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Southwick is better, but its further away. Franklin is good. Go on a clear sunny day and bring a good zoom camera.

Tinkermatic and Frizzle Fry like this.
  4. SERE

SERE NES Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. new guy

new guy NES Member

The zoo itself is not a crap hole. It is very hot in the summer though, which makes the animals slow down. I also feel like I’m sweating my ass off every time I go. My vote is to go on a cooler day. And not a weekend.

6. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Echo the others that southwick is better

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  7. sharona

sharona

My opinion nothing in Boston is worth the admission

Palladin likes this.
  8. new guy

new guy NES Member

May as well throw Roger Williams into the mix too, unless you’re north.

Drix and commodon like this.
  9. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

Never been to the zoo, but the area around it is a shit hole that I wouldn't bring my family near.

10. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

I vote for southwick or Roger willams
    Go first thing in am on a cooler day if possible. We always bring a picnic lunch.

11. kurtb

kurtb NES Member

I live near Southwick - dont forget to check out the red bat. Its pretty cool and one of a kind.

johnnymac101 and Sauer Grapes like this.
  12. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

Franklin Park Zoo is pretty decent but the real zoo is on the other side of the walls...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  13. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

ah, the memories...

WEEI radio has suspended talk show host John Dennis for two days without pay for making a racially charged comment, as several city councilors and minority leaders urged he be taken off the air permanently.
    In a segment discussing news during Monday's "Dennis & Callahan Show," Dennis said that Little Joe, the gorilla that escaped from Franklin Park Zoo, was "probably a Metco gorilla waiting for a bus to take him to Lexington." Metco, the Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity, is a voluntary desegregation program that enrolls Boston students in suburban schools. The program provides transportation to some schools.

14. NickLeduc

NickLeduc NES Member

Check your local library. They often have free tickets to places like the zoo. We just went to Southwick for free from our library.

15. quincy

quincy NES Member

Not to mention the block party bbq’s on weekends in the main parking lot brought to you by the local FSA. Parking is very bad.

16. Inside Out

Inside Out NES Member

Roger Williams is a solid zoo. Lots of big animals (elephants, giraffes), a sort-of water park for little kids and cool playground, big enough but not too big, free ample parking.

And yes, I just wrote a review of a zoo at 12:24 a.m.

Drix and new guy like this.
  17. FormerlyIndifferent

FormerlyIndifferent NES Member

We've been to Franklin Park and whatever the price was, it was "worth" it.....there were plenty of animals, interesting exhibits, stuff for the kids to do, etc.

As far as the "dangerous" neighborhood it's in......you're not walking the neighborhood(s) at night; you're driving there in the day. We've never had any reservations about the zoo's location. We just throw the kids in the car and go, when we feel like it. (Besides, I thought NESers all "carried" and would shoot muggers/bad guys/terrorists if needed? What's the big deal? /sarc)

When we were kids ourselves, we went to the Stoneham Zoo, because it was closer. In the 1970s and 80s, the place was awesome. Lots of large animals, elephants, giraffes, etc., lions, a polar bear, deer, penguins, and a walk-through aviary with all kind of cool birds in there. There was an outside pond with ducks, geese, ostrich, peacock, etc. The Stoneham zoo also had sea lions, zebras, and a large central building with several species of monkees. At night, if the wind was right, you could hear the lions' roars from miles away. I particularly remember this on stormy nights.

In the early 1990s, the Stoneham Zoo shut down for budgetary reasons and all the cool animals disappeared. When it reopened, it was never the same. They pretty much had dogs, chickens, a few birds, a llama, and a couple other animals........and you'd walk through there with your heart broken over the place you knew it once was. The wonderful aviary was razed; so well did they erase all traces of it, that you can go to right where it was located (on a hillside) and if you didn't know what was once there, you'd never know. There's no trace of it. Even the young staff there don't know.....ask them about the aviary (we called it the "bird house"), and today, some staff there don't even know there once WAS an aviary there. You get the "Huh? Wha?" look from them. For a long time, it was painful to go there.....the place was telling you that it was still "the zoo", but deep down you knew it was not. It sucked. The giraffe house even got turned into a gift shop!

In recent years they've made some improvements, and it's better than it was in the 1990s, but it has never again been what it was in the 1970s and 80s. They just redid the front entrance and I hear that a new aviary is being built. I have not been there yet to see these changes.

But to answer your question......Franklin Park is fine. We've been many times.

18. Oldarmy

Oldarmy

The wife and I used to go to Franklin Park years ago and it was pretty good. What was really cool was the huge antique outdoor bird aviary.

19. chuckster

chuckster NES Member

Thanks everyone!

20. Lip

Lip Army Veteran NES Member

I ran a group of kids from my daughter's school there. Not a great zoo but good. Totally safe. Now I'd rather not take them there at 9pm.

21. new guy

new guy NES Member

Buttonwood Zoo isn’t terrible either, especially if the kids are on the younger side.