1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Franklin Park Zoo, worth the admission?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chuckster, Jul 10, 2018.

1. chuckster

chuckster NES Member

Wife wants to take our Granddaughter to the Franklin Park Zoo. Is it worth the price of admission or is it a craphole??

2. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry NES Member

Very nice but Southwick is safer/cheaper/cool too.

3. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Southwick is better, but its further away. Franklin is good. Go on a clear sunny day and bring a good zoom camera.

Tinkermatic and Frizzle Fry like this.
  4. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. new guy

new guy NES Member

The zoo itself is not a crap hole. It is very hot in the summer though, which makes the animals slow down. I also feel like I’m sweating my ass off every time I go. My vote is to go on a cooler day. And not a weekend.

6. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Echo the others that southwick is better

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  7. sharona

sharona

My opinion nothing in Boston is worth the admission

fencer and Palladin like this.
  8. new guy

new guy NES Member

May as well throw Roger Williams into the mix too, unless you’re north.

Drix and commodon like this.
  9. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

Never been to the zoo, but the area around it is a shit hole that I wouldn't bring my family near.

LTCRN likes this.
  10. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

I vote for southwick or Roger willams
    Go first thing in am on a cooler day if possible. We always bring a picnic lunch.

11. kurtb

kurtb NES Member

I live near Southwick - dont forget to check out the red bat. Its pretty cool and one of a kind.

Arto, johnnymac101 and Sauer Grapes like this.
  12. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

Franklin Park Zoo is pretty decent but the real zoo is on the other side of the walls...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  13. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

ah, the memories...

WEEI radio has suspended talk show host John Dennis for two days without pay for making a racially charged comment, as several city councilors and minority leaders urged he be taken off the air permanently.
    In a segment discussing news during Monday's "Dennis & Callahan Show," Dennis said that Little Joe, the gorilla that escaped from Franklin Park Zoo, was "probably a Metco gorilla waiting for a bus to take him to Lexington." Metco, the Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity, is a voluntary desegregation program that enrolls Boston students in suburban schools. The program provides transportation to some schools.

14. NickLeduc

NickLeduc NES Member

Check your local library. They often have free tickets to places like the zoo. We just went to Southwick for free from our library.

15. quincy

quincy NES Member

Not to mention the block party bbq’s on weekends in the main parking lot brought to you by the local FSA. Parking is very bad.

16. Inside Out

Inside Out NES Member

Roger Williams is a solid zoo. Lots of big animals (elephants, giraffes), a sort-of water park for little kids and cool playground, big enough but not too big, free ample parking.

And yes, I just wrote a review of a zoo at 12:24 a.m.

Varmint, Drix and new guy like this.
  17. FormerlyIndifferent

FormerlyIndifferent NES Member

We've been to Franklin Park and whatever the price was, it was "worth" it.....there were plenty of animals, interesting exhibits, stuff for the kids to do, etc.

As far as the "dangerous" neighborhood it's in......you're not walking the neighborhood(s) at night; you're driving there in the day. We've never had any reservations about the zoo's location. We just throw the kids in the car and go, when we feel like it. (Besides, I thought NESers all "carried" and would shoot muggers/bad guys/terrorists if needed? What's the big deal? /sarc)

When we were kids ourselves, we went to the Stoneham Zoo, because it was closer. In the 1970s and 80s, the place was awesome. Lots of large animals, elephants, giraffes, etc., lions, a polar bear, deer, penguins, and a walk-through aviary with all kind of cool birds in there. There was an outside pond with ducks, geese, ostrich, peacock, etc. The Stoneham zoo also had sea lions, zebras, and a large central building with several species of monkees. At night, if the wind was right, you could hear the lions' roars from miles away. I particularly remember this on stormy nights.

In the early 1990s, the Stoneham Zoo shut down for budgetary reasons and all the cool animals disappeared. When it reopened, it was never the same. They pretty much had dogs, chickens, a few birds, a llama, and a couple other animals........and you'd walk through there with your heart broken over the place you knew it once was. The wonderful aviary was razed; so well did they erase all traces of it, that you can go to right where it was located (on a hillside) and if you didn't know what was once there, you'd never know. There's no trace of it. Even the young staff there don't know.....ask them about the aviary (we called it the "bird house"), and today, some staff there don't even know there once WAS an aviary there. You get the "Huh? Wha?" look from them. For a long time, it was painful to go there.....the place was telling you that it was still "the zoo", but deep down you knew it was not. It sucked. The giraffe house even got turned into a gift shop!

In recent years they've made some improvements, and it's better than it was in the 1990s, but it has never again been what it was in the 1970s and 80s. They just redid the front entrance and I hear that a new aviary is being built. I have not been there yet to see these changes.

But to answer your question......Franklin Park is fine. We've been many times.

fencer likes this.
  18. Oldarmy

Oldarmy

The wife and I used to go to Franklin Park years ago and it was pretty good. What was really cool was the huge antique outdoor bird aviary.

19. chuckster

chuckster NES Member

Thanks everyone!

20. Lip

Lip Army Veteran NES Member

I ran a group of kids from my daughter's school there. Not a great zoo but good. Totally safe. Now I'd rather not take them there at 9pm.

fencer likes this.
  21. new guy

new guy NES Member

Buttonwood Zoo isn’t terrible either, especially if the kids are on the younger side.

22. fencer

fencer NES Member

Wasn't the Stone zoo the one where the two boys decided to climb into the Polar Bear exhibit? I am pretty sure it happened when I was in high school. I remember reading reports that when the cops showed up two polar bears were fighting over a torso.

It was an awesome zoo. I went several times as a little kid. I remember the monkeys and the orangutan and the aviary as well. Which was always hot and humid and reeked of bird shit.

Roger Williams is nice but there is something about looking up at rte. 95 traffic while looking at the giraffes that bothers me.

Southwick is probably the best locally and they just finished a huge building project which includes a really good restaurant. They have some pretty cool exhibits including lion, rhino and elephant. Not going to be a cheap day, but still worth it.
    Also, you pass right by Liberty safe to get there. :)

FormerlyIndifferent likes this.
  23. FormerlyIndifferent

I have a vague recollection of that story, but don't know for sure.

I can tell you, that it is the site where portions of an early 1970s "sex ed" video aimed at adolescents was filmed. They showed it to us in 6th grade (1982 ish) and we were all howling out loud....."THAT'S the STONEHAM ZOO!!!!!". The jist of the film, which from what I remember, covered everything from wet dreams to jerking off, to girls getting their first period, to intercourse......was that animals all "do it".

The Stoneham Zoo scene was the part of the film that was telling the audience that "penis size doesn't matter; they all do the same thing regardless of size". The kid in the film was going around to grownups asking about what penises do, and what if your penis is too small, so he went to the zoo to ask about animal peckers......and some zookeeper dude was explaining it to him ("size doesn't matter", he said). I think they showed a giraffe pecker and a monkey pecker for size comparison, with the Stoneham Zoo giraffes and later the aviary, in the background of the scene. We all recognized the location, at once.

It was as retarded, and as hilarious, and as ridiculously over the top as it sounds. If I can find it online, I'll post a link to it.

24. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Stone Zoo is managed by the same group as Franklin Park Zoo, and is accredited.

My grandfather worked there, after retirement, in the late 60's and early 70's. It used to be quite a zoo back in the 70's. It went down hill in the 80's but has seen some major improvements all around in the last decade or so. Going to the zoo and then the Hall Memorial Pool were often a good way to waste a summer day. There were too few of these days. BTW the pool just got some improvements, too. https://www.bgcstoneham.org/hall-memorial-pool/

Matt

Stone Zoo - Wikipedia

The zoo underwent major renovations in the 1960s under the guidance of zoo director Walter D. Stone; state-of-the-art exhibits were built, including a large free-flight aviary. Also from the renovation project, the zoo began featuring elephants, giraffes, zebras, pygmy hippopotamus, sea lions, and many other large animals. On March 14, 1969, the zoo was renamed the Walter D. Stone Memorial Zoo in honor of Walter D. Stone,[2] after his untimely death in 1968.

View: https://twitter.com/zoonewengland/status/1022209982517993472

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  25. fencer

fencer NES Member

I was mistaken. It was a zoo in Brooklyn where the mauling took place.
    Crime History: Child who sneaked into zoo mauled by polar bears.

"Go get help. They're biting me hard," were Juan's last words..."
    Who lets their 11 year old wander around by themselves? And even at 11 years old, you would think they would be smart enough not to go swimming in the polar bear moat.

Sorry to derail

FormerlyIndifferent and SERE like this.
  26. FormerlyIndifferent

And here it is........a 1970s sex ed film, called "Am I Normal?", the clip below of which, was filmed at the Stoneham Zoo.

Listen for the sea lions, and don't blink or you'll miss the aviary (what we called "The Bird House" back in the day). Also there's a few moments that the doorway to the "giraffe house", can be seen.

Those of you who went to the Stoneham Zoo in the 1970s and 80s, will recognize it at once.

This entire film had our class howling when we saw it in school in 1982-ish.

Laugh as you will at this, but the zoo scenes in this clip will likely never be seen again in Stoneham. The place was pretty awesome in its day.

fencer and Inside Out like this.
  27. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

I loved the Franklin Park Zoo when I was a little kid, it was awesome. As a grownup taking my kids, I thought it was very nice, just a few years back. Seemed to be well maintained and interesting new exhibits.

28. rep308

rep308 NES Member

Last time I drove their my parked car got broken into.

29. fencer

fencer NES Member

That is hilarious. A white kid asking a white zoo keeper if penis size matters. And of course the zoo keeper answers, " Nah, it doesn't matters at all." LOL. Then the zoo keeper goes back to sweeping up shit and never mentions that his wife left him for Big Richard Richardson. Yeah, it doesn't matter to you, but good luck finding a wife if you are hung like a mosquito.

30. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    The best zoos are located in crapholes. See the Bronx Zoo as an example.