• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FRANKLIN ARMORY’S DIGITAL ACTION TRIGGER INNOVATES AT SHOT

Actually it sucks for ban states. Because this shouldn't be in the first place. I appreciate their ability to make a work-around, but UGH!

How the hell do you get a 4.5lb trigger that has to extract a spent case and tension the charging spring at the same time?

"We are looking for a release date of..."
(Stares at gun waiting for an answer)

"And our price point will be ...."
(Stares at the gun waiting for it to speak)

How reliable will this be when it starts to get dirty?

Good questions, but bear in mind none of this matters because nobody serious is buying this. This is for jingoservatives in commie states that have never owned a gun before. They will buy it, naybe fire a few boxes out of it, clean it possibly, and it'll collect dust in their safe for the next 20 years or until their wife badgers them into selling it... sad but we know it's true.

No I mean releasing the trigger closes the bolt then you have to pull it again to fire it. Bolt locks open release it closes etc. etc. Also doesn't the open bolt thing only apply to certain designs like the Sten?

Because that would use the energy of the cartridge to load a new round, it would be semi-auto, and not be a solution to anything.

No I mean releasing the trigger closes the bolt then you have to pull it again to fire it. Bolt locks open release it closes etc. etc. Also doesn't the open bolt thing only apply to certain designs like the Sten?
Open Bolt refers to guns that have a fixed firing pin on the bolt, and the action of closing the bolt doubles as a strike with the firing pin. They were reclassified going forward as machine guns by the ATF because they were considered too easily converted to giggle mode. There was also a Kimber (I think) open bolt .22.

The ATF issued a ruling converting open bolt guns to NFA weapons (by edict, not by gunsmithing) effective in 1982 (various dates for specific guns). I do not know the effective date for guns not mentioned in that ruling, but I believe pre-1982 ones remain non-NFA as long as they have not been modified for full auto. That ruling also shows the hard line the ATF has drawn on the use of full auto AR parts to build a semi-auto EBR.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58146/download

in a few millenia archeologists will dig it up and will try to understand what the f*** are these.

For the amount of effort spent for all these workarounds, it would be much cheaper just shoot a bunch of politicians and their commie voters.

Or at bare minimum, put them in the trash...

Ok then what I'm describing would also be semi auto got it. I wasn't sure. I know they have have these "semi" auto rifles in Europe for huntng that you have to manually shut the bolt with a thumb lever and they have something like this for AR's also.

Ha! I have this old .22 that's "half semi-auto". Same deal. (except no magazine)

Pull the trigger, it fires and ejects the spent case, but the bolt stays open and you have to close it manually.

Weird mechanism, I didn't realize there were euro-spec versions because laws.

Ha! I have this old .22 that's "half semi-auto". Same deal. (except no magazine)

Pull the trigger, it fires and ejects the spent case, but the bolt stays open and you have to close it manually.

Weird mechanism, I didn't realize there were euro-spec versions because laws.
Australia too, I'm told.

Simple mechanical advantage via levers, gearing or the like.

You realize you just said, "because technology", right?

How long is the bolt throw? It has to be *at least* the length of the magazine plus the locking lugs. 9mm Glock magazines are about 1-3/8" long, plus locking lugs (another 3/8" at least) puts the total bolt throw at *at least* 1.75 inches. A *long* trigger pull (based on a couple revolvers and DA semi-autos in my safe) is about 5/8" If you extend that to 7/8" (which is freakin' huge) you have a 1:2 leverage ratio on the bolt.

Which is to say, the force required on the trigger is *double* the force on the bolt. There's no way around that. Even with a perfectly frictionless system if the bolt travel is double the trigger travel, the required trigger force is double the force on the bolt.

The bolt has to extract the spent case and insert a new cartridge.

To insert a new cartridge the bolt has to have enough force to push a live round off the top of the magazine insert it in the chamber, and lock the breech. If you've ever unloaded a magazine you know how much force it takes to push a round off the top of a magazine. It also has to overcome any frictional forces in locking the bolt. *all* of that energy has to come from a spring, because the trigger only pushes the bolt *backwards* (at least based on the video)

Now, where does the energy that goes into that spring come from? It can't come from firing the cartridge, or it would be semi-auto. Therefore it comes from the trigger, at an unfavorable 1:2 leverage ratio.

Maybe there's a bunch of cams and levers that hold the next round out of the way so the magazine spring doesn't provide friction on the bolt's motion, or the force on the trigger is not consistent so you can use extra force when necessary but not over the entire travel (like those pliers that move a lot until they grab and then the mechanical advantage gets huge)

^ Do you know for a fact that no energy from the cartridge firing is stored in the action that would require the trigger to only draw back a very lightly sprung bolt? Notice how lethargically the bolt returns in the video. There is very little energy behind it. A fired 9mm case generally takes insignificant force to extract. Your assumption is that all energy required to function the action is via trigger squeeze?

The mechanical advantage doesn't need to be an advantage to move greater loads with the application of a lesser load. It can be to move something a greater distance with the input being of lesser distance.

And, yes..."because technology"...ancient and simple though it may be.

^ Do you know for a fact that no energy from the cartridge firing is stored in the action that would require the trigger to only draw back a very lightly sprung bolt? Notice how lethargically the bolt returns in the video. There is very little energy behind it. A fired 9mm case generally takes insignificant force to extract. Your assumption is that all energy required to function the action is via trigger squeeze?

The mechanical advantage doesn't need to be an advantage to move greater loads with the application of a lesser load. It can be to move something a greater distance with the input being of lesser distance.

And, yes..."because technology"...ancient and simple though it may be.

I know that one of the definitions of "semi-auto" includes using energy of recoil or gas from firing to eject and load a new round, so, unless they're selling a semi-auto, there's no energy being recovered from the firing.

I know that one of the definitions of "semi-auto" includes using energy of recoil or gas from firing to eject and load a new round, so, unless they're selling a semi-auto, there's no energy being recovered from the firing.
Energy could be recovered and stored with no extraction and, therefore, no chambering of another round. We're not talking about a traditional action here.

Or at bare minimum, put them in the trash...

Most of the people over there who are doing it are vets who were shot at, so their tolerance for politicians who cooperated with enemy is somewhat limited. We are just not at that point yet. This is equivalent of tarring and feathering ... we could do it once, but not anymore.

Energy could be recovered and stored with no extraction and, therefore, no chambering of another round. We're not talking about a traditional action here.

Why the hell are you even arguing with me on this?

I asked, "how the hell does that work", you said, "technology".

You don't know either.

Why the hell are you even arguing with me on this?

I asked, "how the hell does that work", you said, "technology".

You don't know either.

I never stated that I knew how this particular action functions so, where am I 'arguing' with you? I will officially change my answer to your question "How the hell do you get a 4.5lb trigger that has to extract a spent case and tension the charging spring at the same time?" from 'technology' as you put it (which I didn't even write as the response) to 'MAGIC'. The reality is we don't know how or even IF it works. I don't know of any evidence that this rifle has actually fired a single round.

They state all gasses go out the barrel so perhaps it's short recoil operated. Perhaps it uses a 1921 Thompson style hammer. I don't know...I haven't gotten any memos from them.

And I'm sorry you feel victimized by my non existent arguing.

You realize you just said, "because technology", right?

How long is the bolt throw? It has to be *at least* the length of the magazine plus the locking lugs. 9mm Glock magazines are about 1-3/8" long, plus locking lugs (another 3/8" at least) puts the total bolt throw at *at least* 1.75 nches. A *long* trigger pull (based on a couple revolvers and DA semi-autos in my safe) is about 5/8" If you extend that to 7/8" (which is freakin' huge) you have a 1:2 leverage ratio on the bolt.

There are no locking lugs this is a PCC. Still good questions, though.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom