• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler

JackO

Instructor

The drum looks very interesting.
5 lbs of SS pins for 1000 223 cases - BS. Besides, 1000 223 cases will never fit with all the required SS pins in a 1.8 gallon drum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice setup. It's got a built in run timer too. Found it on optics planet, list price is $230.

5 lbs of SS pins for 1000 223 cases - BS. Besides, 1000 223 cases will never fit with all the required SS pins in a 1.8 gallon drum.

I have an old (1970s vintage) Lortone Rock tumbler. Got it free. (School where I taught had Earth Science classes back in the day and changed to Environment classes. The ES stuff was getting dumped during a renovation.) I have been processing a lot of .223 brass. I can load 350 or so into my tumbler along with five pounds of pins and around 3 quarts of water. That fills it up around 3/4 full. I agree that 1000 cases is BS. The bag of brass that he pours in at around 17 seconds looks to me to be about ~150 cases. He seems to have much more when he is rinsing them. I would not recommend using a magnet on the pins. Part of the beauty of the tiny pins it that they can get inside of the case and primer pocket. I think that if they become magnetized and stick together in clumps that this will no longer happen. I use a large plastic Tupperware dish to pour the contents of the tumbler into after I am done wet tumbling. I put a 2 foot square piece of metal screen over the dish and then put a metal basket on the screen. Pins collect on the screen, Cases collect in the basket. A little shaking and most pins are on the screen. Still have to do some hand separating. I find that wet tumble (Bullseye ultra/Dawn/Lemi shine) for 45 minutes, dry overnight, dry tumble 45 minutes (Zilla Reptile bedding/Black walnut shells) works good.
White Feather

Nice setup. It's got a built in run timer too. Found it on optics planet, list price is $230.

To add to this post,

It doesn't look like they've officially released an MSRP on this yet. Grafs.com has it listed for $180. I'm really curious about how much this thing is going to cost. I was planning on getting a model B soon, but if this is in the same price range (or hopefully cheaper) I might get this instead.

I'm also doubtful of their claim of 1k pieces of .223, but anything is better than the dual drum harbor freight tumbler I'm using now [laugh]

I'm also doubtful of their claim of 1k pieces of .223, but anything is better than the dual drum harbor freight tumbler I'm using now [laugh]

For what it costs (with a 25% off coupon) + warranty, it is a heck of a deal to get started. Just can't tumble tons at once. I'm interested to see what actual retail will be when this comes out. Something to think about when it's time to upgrade from the HF tumbler. The fact that it comes with the media and that magnent (I think) makes it a pretty decent deal if it come sin under <200.

I bought a Thumblers Model B. Happy with it so far. I do like the magnet though.

Back
Top Bottom