• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper™ Electronic Powder Scale and Dispenser

Need your video review on the Intellidropper.

Yeah...im not a video guy

Pretty much like the you tube video. Easy to set up. Easy to run on your phone with Bluetooth.

I just loaded 50 .308 cartridges while watching TV in between. You can really get a decent rythm going where you aren’t waiting on the scale. 41 grains of h4895 and every one was right on. I did the internal powder calibration prior to loading.

Im going to recheck on my other scales and see if everything agrees.

Saving money per se is not and has not been my goal. I shoot chiefly milsurp - M1s, Lee-Enfield, K98, etc. 303 British is not always easy to find. The only shop local to me that I know carrying it wanted $1/round. I can reload a box of 20 for about $7.50.

What are you using for .303 Brit projectiles?

Ran more loads with Varget. Everything going pretty seamless so far. Scale measures almost dead on with my Hornady.

As far as metering if anything I get a very light under charge by 0.1 grain. But 99 percent of the time its right on.

The App runs great, and ill start storing loads in there. Im not sure what will happen if I change phones. I dont want to have to put all of that data back in if I get a new phone. Im likely overthinking this but I have no idea.

This thing definitely speeds up weighing and makes it much more brainless. Your just dumping powder and swapping cases

Even using the windguard I have no issue moving relatively fast. Obviously the biggest thing is not to bump the powder tube and knock a few grains out by accident onto the scale.

I just did about 10 boxes of 30-30 last week and I wish I had it back then as I used Lever revolution powder, which is a very fine ball powder to see how that works

What are you using for .303 Brit projectiles?
I mostly use Hornady 150gr .312. I do have some Prvi 150gr .311 but I mostly use those for my 91/30, but they worked fine in 303 as well for me.

I haven't gone any heavier, but I know some folks prefer 174 and up.

Ran more loads with Varget. Everything going pretty seamless so far. Scale measures almost dead on with my Hornady.

As far as metering if anything I get a very light under charge by 0.1 grain. But 99 percent of the time its right on.

The App runs great, and ill start storing loads in there. Im not sure what will happen if I change phones. I dont want to have to put all of that data back in if I get a new phone. Im likely overthinking this but I have no idea.

This thing definitely speeds up weighing and makes it much more brainless. Your just dumping powder and swapping cases

Even using the windguard I have no issue moving relatively fast. Obviously the biggest thing is not to bump the powder tube and knock a few grains out by accident onto the scale.

I just did about 10 boxes of 30-30 last week and I wish I had it back then as I used Lever revolution powder, which is a very fine ball powder to see how that works
Does the app require you to create an account or login or anything? If so, you are probably OK as it would tie the data to that account regardless of device. If not, it might cache it on the phone in which case you'd likely lose it unless you can save to SD card or do a transfer. But that does sound like one potential downside.

I mostly use Hornady 150gr .312. I do have some Prvi 150gr .311 but I mostly use those for my 91/30, but they worked fine in 303 as well for me.

I haven't gone any heavier, but I know some folks prefer 174 and up.

Does the app require you to create an account or login or anything? If so, you are probably OK as it would tie the data to that account regardless of device. If not, it might cache it on the phone in which case you'd likely lose it unless you can save to SD card or do a transfer. But that does sound like one potential downside.

No sign in. Put app on phone, it links to scale. I will try it with my wifes phone and see if it uploads a few of the load data ive saved.

This app thing is not a big deal or anything. Having the phone be able to run the scale is though. Like if the keyboard on the unit goes bad or something its a great backup.

No sign in. Put app on phone, it links to scale. I will try it with my wifes phone and see if it uploads a few of the load data ive saved.

This app thing is not a big deal or anything. Having the phone be able to run the scale is though. Like if the keyboard on the unit goes bad or something its a great backup.
That's true.
The sign-in would be a double edged sword as I think a lot of 2A types were be like "nope, not sharing my load data with big brother" but it would be an easy way to make it device agnostic.

I didn't think about the backup to the keypad malfunctioning but that is nice, too. I'd probably backup load data to a spreadsheet.

I might pick one of these up, especially if I can find a sale or coupon.

I had some time to try two types of ball powder that I use for 5.56 (TAC) and and 300 Blackout (Lil Gun).

The results were quite impressive. I used a better resolution scale to verify the Lyman and the Intellidropper numbers, it is a gram scale so converted to Grains, and resolves down to 0.015 Grains. Definitely right on the money with about +/-0.05 grains centered right on the target throw. So performing at 1/2 of the stated accuracy of +/- 0.1 grains.

Very impressed with the accuracy and repeatability of the unit.

TAC Powder Data 23_1.JPG

Lil Gun Powder Data 17_2.JPG

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered one just now.

Should arrive Thursday or Friday and I'll plan to play with it this weekend as we're expecting rain. I have 13 more months of 0% interest on my CC plus cash back so I decided to give in.

Used it for the first time last night. Made fifty rounds of .223 using 25 grains of AA2520.

Observations:
- Took me a while to get it perfectly centered, but the integrated level was very useful in getting it done correctly.
- The first time after doing the powder calibration, it was consistently throwing half a grain over (25.5 instead of 25).
- I ran the powder calibration a second time, and from thereon out, it was fine, right at 25.
- I double checked the first thirty throws with my old scale and they were all +/- 0.1
- With it set to auto mode (powder dispenses as soon as you put the tray back on the scale) I was able to go quite quickly
- After draining, I can still see a good amount of powder in the hopper; not sure how to get the remainder out; looks like there might be some static cling.
- I think I might move the unit so that the nozzle to drain the powder off hangs off the side of the bench; I had to move the whole unit to drain it.

I installed the app on my phone but I didn't use it with the machine. I did go to add a load and noticed they didn't have PPU projectiles listed, and I couldn't determine a way to type in my own manufacturer, so that's kind of a bummer. The app is only a few months old, though, so perhaps there will be changes.

All in all, pleased with the first run; about what I expected. Made me much faster. Some small kinks to work out, but so far, so good. Whenever I can get the remaining powder out, I might try doing some pistol rounds.

Nice glad it is working well.

Between powders i drained it then trickled out what was left in the bottom of the hopper.

I use a brush to brush down the powder residue out the drain. Then use a can of duster (for cleaning computers) to blow everything out. I still make a mess.

I do not like the phone app. Hopefully they will make it better.

Used it for the first time last night. Made fifty rounds of .223 using 25 grains of AA2520.

Observations:
- Took me a while to get it perfectly centered, but the integrated level was very useful in getting it done correctly.
- The first time after doing the powder calibration, it was consistently throwing half a grain over (25.5 instead of 25).
- I ran the powder calibration a second time, and from thereon out, it was fine, right at 25.
- I double checked the first thirty throws with my old scale and they were all +/- 0.1
- With it set to auto mode (powder dispenses as soon as you put the tray back on the scale) I was able to go quite quickly
- After draining, I can still see a good amount of powder in the hopper; not sure how to get the remainder out; looks like there might be some static cling.
- I think I might move the unit so that the nozzle to drain the powder off hangs off the side of the bench; I had to move the whole unit to drain it.

I installed the app on my phone but I didn't use it with the machine. I did go to add a load and noticed they didn't have PPU projectiles listed, and I couldn't determine a way to type in my own manufacturer, so that's kind of a bummer. The app is only a few months old, though, so perhaps there will be changes.

All in all, pleased with the first run; about what I expected. Made me much faster. Some small kinks to work out, but so far, so good. Whenever I can get the remaining powder out, I might try doing some pistol rounds.
I

Nice glad it is working well.

Between powders i drained it then trickled out what was left in the bottom of the hopper.

I use a brush to brush down the powder residue out the drain. Then use a can of duster (for cleaning computers) to blow everything out. I still make a mess.

I do not like the phone app. Hopefully they will make it better.

I
Can't believe I didn't think of trickling.
I might run over to the store to get a can of air before they close.

Also, Once you drain out the bulk of the powder, the clear tube comes out so you can brush it down then open the drain again.

Can't believe I didn't think of trickling.
I might run over to the store to get a can of air before they close.

Saving money per se is not and has not been my goal. I shoot chiefly milsurp - M1s, Lee-Enfield, K98, etc. 303 British is not always easy to find. The only shop local to me that I know carrying it wanted $1/round. I can reload a box of 20 for about $7.50. At some point I want to add an Arisaka and 7.7 Japanese isn't easy to come by.
question for you since you run the K98. i just purchased the Lee classic loader and will start collecting 8mm brass from my k98 and then getting the rest of the components. what are you running for powder and bullets? i was thinking some 170gr or maybe 200gr ones from grafs as i am just starting out reloading the costly 8mm :)

pix657102487.jpg

question for you since you run the K98. i just purchased the Lee classic loader and will start collecting 8mm brass from my k98 and then getting the rest of the components. what are you running for powder and bullets? i was thinking some 170gr or maybe 200gr ones from grafs as i am just starting out reloading the costly 8mm :)

pix657102487.jpg
I started out loading 190gr PPU projectiles but after I finished that bag I switched to 150gr Hornady.
However, I got about four hundred 200gr Nosler Custom Comps that I was going to use next.

Varget, as with most things, worked fine.
With the 150gr I scored a 91/100 at 100yds using Accurate 2495 in the Winter Warrior Postal. Accurate 2520 (a ball powder) did not ignite reliably for me using regular CCI primers.
91-jpg.274390

I've been going back and forth with getting an electronic scale and am so happy I stumbled in to this thread. Like the OP said, the reviews for electronic scales are all over the place. I use a Lee turret press for most calibers, but do hand load .30-06.

I did forty rounds of 7.62x54R last night with AA2495 (stick).

Metered it a bit slower than the ball 2520, not surprised. As with the first time, I had to run the powder calibration twice. This time, it was throwing 0.2 under compared to my old scale.

After re-running the powder cal, it was dead on. I have an Appleseed this weekend and expect to occupied with that, but probably next week I'll give some 9mm a try.

One of these nights I might do up a bunch of 30-06 plinking rounds using factory seconds. The increased speed is helping already.

I just ordered the RCBS Chargemaster Lite, and then learned about this newer Frankford Arsenal device. I have four questions.

1. Does the "powder calibration" function seem to significantly decrease the charge time?
2. Does using "powder calibration" actually improve the accuracy or the consistency of the measured charge?
3. Is the calibration saved with the smart phone app or do you have to repeat the calibration every time you use the scale? If it isn't saved in the app, then it seems to me that all the app does is save you from entering the number of grains.
4. Has drifting of the zero calibration been a problem for anyone? It's been reported in other posts.

Thanks!

I just ordered the RCBS Chargemaster Lite, and then learned about this newer Frankford Arsenal device. I have four questions.

1. Does the "powder calibration" function seem to significantly decrease the charge time?
2. Does using "powder calibration" actually improve the accuracy or the consistency of the measured charge?
3. Is the calibration saved with the smart phone app or do you have to repeat the calibration every time you use the scale? If it isn't saved in the app, then it seems to me that all the app does is save you from entering the number of grains.
4. Has drifting of the zero calibration been a problem for anyone? It's been reported in other posts.

Thanks!

1.) This is my first electronic dispenser so I have nothing to compare it to, but with rifle rounds I can usually put the tray down and while it dispenses I grab a case and funnel and by the time I do that, the next charge is ready. On auto dispense mode I put the tray down and it starts dispensing again; repeat as desired.

2.) According to the manual its intended function is to make it faster, not more accurate. Each time I've used it the charges have been +- 0.1 grains compared to my backup scale.

3.) So far I've changed powders after each session. I have AA2495 in there still and I'll try it tonight. The app doesn't store the calibration so far as I can tell. It serves two functions:
a.) letting you save your past recipes for reference
b.) letting you control the unit (it duplicates the physical keypad so you can trigger dispensing, change loads, initiate calibration, etc.

4.) When I first turn it on and wait the recommended 15+ mins for stabilization I do notice it drifting a bit. However after I do the weight calibration and zero it, mine's fine. I usually double check the first 15-25 charges with my backup scale, and they've been fine.

For what it's worth, I've found that running the powder cal twice seems to yield better results in terms of speed, I don't know why. Either way it only takes a few seconds so it's not like you're wasting a lot of time.

I'm enjoying the unit so far. The biggest hassle has been getting the powder out; I use the drain tube, the little "paintbrush" thing that comes with it, and compressed air.

1. Yes, it makes it faster as it determines the fastest dispense speed.

2. Yes

3. The app can save, but i dont really like the app, qnd it doesnt take very long to punch in the charge weight.

I didnt see drift at all, i had more dispense issues with stick powder, but that is the nature of stick powder. All the ball powders were consistently dead balls on. The level is very important on the scale.

Thanks!

1. Yes, it makes it faster as it determines the fastest dispense speed.

2. Yes

3. The app can save, but i dont really like the app, qnd it doesnt take very long to punch in the charge weight.

I didnt see drift at all, i had more dispense issues with stick powder, but that is the nature of stick powder. All the ball powders were consistently dead balls on. The level is very important on the scale.

A year later, wondering if the owners still recommend.
Edit: asking because there seem to be a number of quality and reliability issues in the reviews I’ve been seeing

Thanks

Last edited:
I think you have an error with your data? The 125gr test, the Hornady scale was throwing ~85 grains. I think you copied over the 85.5 grain data.

I think you have an error with your data? The 125gr test, the Hornady scale was throwing ~85 grains. I think you copied over the 85.5 grain data.
Thanks, I will check it. I stopped using the Hornady scale after a while and I might have missed clearing a column in the sheet. On an semi-related note the Hornady scale is a total POS, which is why I bought a much better resolution gram scale to do the more granular check. That was the second Hornady scale, the first one wouldn't even hold zero. Sent it in and they replaced it. The second one floats around like Muhammad Ali in his prime. I had to constantly re-zero it for every reading, so I just stopped. I may have forgotten to take it out in the yard and stop it to bits, I'll check that too. ;)

What is the warranty on these things and how is Frankford when it comes to dealing with warranty issues?

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. I have trust issues with electronic scales.

What is the warranty on these things and how is Frankford when it comes to dealing with warranty issues?

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. I have trust issues with electronic scales.
iIRC Frankford does a 1yr across the board on thier products. i only have a few FA items. I have other BTI products but never had issues.

1.) This is my first electronic dispenser so I have nothing to compare it to, but with rifle rounds I can usually put the tray down and while it dispenses I grab a case and funnel and by the time I do that, the next charge is ready. On auto dispense mode I put the tray down and it starts dispensing again; repeat as desired.

2.) According to the manual its intended function is to make it faster, not more accurate. Each time I've used it the charges have been +- 0.1 grains compared to my backup scale.

3.) So far I've changed powders after each session. I have AA2495 in there still and I'll try it tonight. The app doesn't store the calibration so far as I can tell. It serves two functions:
a.) letting you save your past recipes for reference
b.) letting you control the unit (it duplicates the physical keypad so you can trigger dispensing, change loads, initiate calibration, etc.

4.) When I first turn it on and wait the recommended 15+ mins for stabilization I do notice it drifting a bit. However after I do the weight calibration and zero it, mine's fine. I usually double check the first 15-25 charges with my backup scale, and they've been fine.

For what it's worth, I've found that running the powder cal twice seems to yield better results in terms of speed, I don't know why. Either way it only takes a few seconds so it's not like you're wasting a lot of time.

I'm enjoying the unit so far. The biggest hassle has been getting the powder out; I use the drain tube, the little "paintbrush" thing that comes with it, and compressed air.
what are you using the scale for.
I only use my auto scale lyman gen 6 for test loads or small batches, so I dont have to mess with the powder drop or physically scoop and weigh.
For my accurate rounds once i find a good OCW < which took me a while to warm up to but once I had better guns and skills really showed its face.
I just end up loading powder through the hopper?
My lyman gen 6 is small and slow. It will throw a tad light more so than over. i can then tap the powder dispensor tube and trickle that last .1 grain if I want to.

what are you using the scale for.
I only use my auto scale lyman gen 6 for test loads or small batches, so I dont have to mess with the powder drop or physically scoop and weigh.
For my accurate rounds once i find a good OCW < which took me a while to warm up to but once I had better guns and skills really showed its face.
I just end up loading powder through the hopper?
My lyman gen 6 is small and slow. It will throw a tad light more so than over. i can then tap the powder dispensor tube and trickle that last .1 grain if I want to.
I am using it for everything
- Primarily rifle (30-06, .223, 6.5,x55, 7.62 NATO, 8mm Mauser, and so on)
- Also pistol (I still use a single stage so this gets tedious) -> 38spl, 9x18 Makarov, 9x19.

I still power up my small electronic backup scale and double-check the first five loads or so, and they've been spot on by +-0.1.
It has dramatically increased my loading times vs. using a scoop and a scale. Granted, I didn't have one of those tricklers, so it was "scoop a little out, add a little back in," etc.

I may get a progressive for 9x19, as single staging that gets very tedious. But for rifle, I am planning to stick to using the dispenser.

I have seen mixed reviews about support for issues with the unit. But honestly, that applies to many items like this.

I am using it for everything
- Primarily rifle (30-06, .223, 6.5,x55, 7.62 NATO, 8mm Mauser, and so on)
- Also pistol (I still use a single stage so this gets tedious) -> 38spl, 9x18 Makarov, 9x19.

I still power up my small electronic backup scale and double-check the first five loads or so, and they've been spot on by +-0.1.
It has dramatically increased my loading times vs. using a scoop and a scale. Granted, I didn't have one of those tricklers, so it was "scoop a little out, add a little back in," etc.

I may get a progressive for 9x19, as single staging that gets very tedious. But for rifle, I am planning to stick to using the dispenser.
I have my powder measure pretty dialed in for any powder or rifle I scribbled down the rough adjustment on the bench next to the powder measure. I use that the most for the surplus rifles and my CMP ammo. I cant stand waiting for that dispenser to finish ( my only complaint with the gen6)
The gen6 works great for the small pistol charges under 5 grains so I do use it there. But honestly im only loading 20 rounds or so of those each time. mostly 32sw and 9mm , 45s are cranked out on the pro1000 along with the 38spl

I came close to doing this bgo to 1:10 at 2 grains a second 40 plus grains seems like im going backwards!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiHP6vwHiCM

Back
Top Bottom