Foxboro-Last "Gun Show" in area for a while

tcarter01

NES Member
Looks like this coming weekend is the last one until September, not counting the June Militaria show...

What do you think fellas?? Anything good gonna be at the last Spring 2018 hurrah aside from jerky, crop-dusters, and eye watering BO to make it worthwhile...

Looks like this coming weekend is the last one until September, not counting the June Militaria show...

What do you think fellas?? Anything good gonna be at the last Spring 2018 hurrah aside from jerky, crop-dusters, and eye watering BO to make it worthwhile...

I probably have been to maybe 30+ gun shows in my life and only really walked away with two exceptionally good deals. And no, it was not because I was a good negotiator, It was just dumb luck. Here in Massachusetts most of what you see will be beat up older guns that are overpriced. And even though they do offer new pistols and rifles, they too are overpriced. But I really don't go just for good deals. I guess I just like being around all those guns and get a chance to meet other gun owners. Some of the guys I go shooting with I met at gun shows. Hey ! If you have time to kill and want to meet other gun owners they you should go. But if your looking for a really good deal, then go to Four Season's or Collector's.

I went to the one in Foxboro in February, thankfully I only have a 4 mile drive to get there because it was a complete waste of $12.

let us all know if you find that elusive "loophole" that liberals seem to talk about as being so common, yet no gun owner has ever seen.

let us all know if you find that elusive "loophole" that liberals seem to talk about as being so common, yet no gun owner has ever seen.
Yes, we will have that "gun show loophole" at the Mansfield Fish & Game Club table at this gun show, along with a special membership promotion for those that join at the show.

Probably gonna go just to spend a couple hours browsing...Did get my S&W .45 Shield there on an impulse buy at this same show last April when the full retard rebate frenzy was going on...May see something else that causes a minor gut punch to the checking account again this weekend...now gotta go dig this out from the attic..I think its under the Halloween decorations...

mediumrev2.png

Yes, we will have that "gun show loophole" at the Mansfield Fish & Game Club table at this gun show, along with a special membership promotion for those that join at the show.

Will the indoor range ever be completed? Been hearing it’s just around the corner for a few years now. Great club though, have been on the fence for a while about it. One day I’m sure I’ll join.

Maybe in a few years...Lord knows its tough to get anything gun related done..even tougher for the private clubs..I'm a member and even with my limited insight it is like anything else in this world...It takes cash and its hard to get and stretch at even a good active club like MF&G...The Indoor Range Committee there is doing good stuff moving this along...

Will the indoor range ever be completed? Been hearing it’s just around the corner for a few years now. Great club though, have been on the fence for a while about it. One day I’m sure I’ll join.
The indoor range committee (I am not a member) is getting bids for ripping out the steel that is there. They decided to go with the rubber block system so that they can get 50' shooting lanes. They have bids on the blocks and destruction and construction will be beginning shortly. It will probably take 3-5 years to complete due to cash flow needed to pay for the work. That's the reason we are doing the special gun show price to boost the treasury . . . the more money the more we can get done in a shorter time frame. They are also creating a fund-raising committee to come up with other ideas for a cash infusion to speed up the process.

Anything good gonna be at the last Spring 2018 hurrah aside from jerky ....
At the last one, I bought my wife some jerky and mentioned it was from a small area company. She asked me who. I hadn't a clue.

Anyone know who the jerky vendor is or any other contact info? Beats spending $12 to get in just to find out.

Thanks!

Will the indoor range ever be completed? Been hearing it’s just around the corner for a few years now.
I think it's been 25 years or more since I was a MFG member, and they were talking about it then.

Really, it's like commercial fusion power, which is always "just 15 years in the future". ;)

The indoor range committee (I am not a member) is getting bids for ripping out the steel that is there. They decided to go with the rubber block system so that they can get 50' shooting lanes. They have bids on the blocks and destruction and construction will be beginning shortly. It will probably take 3-5 years to complete due to cash flow needed to pay for the work. That's the reason we are doing the special gun show price to boost the treasury . . . the more money the more we can get done in a shorter time frame. They are also creating a fund-raising committee to come up with other ideas for a cash infusion to speed up the process.

Thanks for the most realistic assessment I have heard. I like the ability to go plinking but from my understanding of how it works, you have to go to the end of the main range to plink which means you can't do it when anyone else is using the range, correct?

I think it's been 25 years or more since I was a MFG member, and they were talking about it then.

Really, it's like commercial fusion power, which is always "just 15 years in the future". ;)
I agree that for >20 yrs it was just talk. The current president (Scouter-Rick) and the most recent past president (50BMG) took it as a serious challenge to make it happen for real, not just talk. We have ~$70K allocated to be spent on the indoor range this club-year and will probably have $50K plus allocated in next club-year's budget (starts September) to continue the work.

I was put on the membership committee, but purposely didn't want to be on the indoor range or fund-raising committees.

It was an "old boy's club" back when you were there. I'll never forget the response I received when I approached the president (~2006) with the idea of having an NES shoot there as a club fundraiser for the range. He told me something to the effect of "we don't want outsiders here"! I dropped the subject until 50BMG became president . . . his response was effectively "hell yes" and I organized that NES shoot at MF&G which due to a misunderstanding got me a 6 month vacation from NES until Derek and I made amends.

It is a very different club today!

I heard through one of the dealers there that a couple of the larger gun seller are not going to be there and they only have 2-3 gun stores coming. That means more room for crap nobody ever buys. Not sure if this one is worth it.

I heard through one of the dealers there that a couple of the larger gun seller are not going to be there and they only have 2-3 gun stores coming. That means more room for crap nobody ever buys. Not sure if this one is worth it.
[frown]

It was an "old boy's club" back when you were there.

Yup, it's why I stopped being a member.

Still remember the last time I shot there. Old boy club officer plus his dad shooting to my right. Dad's Remington 1100 jams, so he holds it on its side and starts trying to work the bolt, lazily turning through 90 degrees so that it was pointing straight down the line at me. Club officer son got pissy when I yelled at him to watch where he was pointing. Never went back and let my membership expire at the end of the year.

Yup, it's why I stopped being a member.

Still remember the last time I shot there. Old boy club officer plus his dad shooting to my right. Dad's Remington 1100 jams, so he holds it on its side and starts trying to work the bolt, lazily turning through 90 degrees so that it was pointing straight down the line at me. Club officer son got pissy when I yelled at him to watch where he was pointing. Never went back and let my membership expire at the end of the year.
Hit me up to come as my guest and you'll see that some things have changed. Especially on a weekend when there will likely be some other shooters. The entire vibe has changed thanks to the new current leadership.

Hit me up to come as my guest and you'll see that some things have changed. Especially on a weekend when there will likely be some other shooters. The entire vibe has changed thanks to the new current leadership.
Agree with Len..Since I joined just a few years ago under what he calls the changed leadership I have nothing but high praise for the club...Members are friendly, helpful, and I have walked up to several in leadership (Len as well) for advice or a question and gotten nothing but positive attitude and help.

I'll do that. I'll touch base once the weather warms a bit (and I finish burning all the deadfalls in my yard) and we'll find a time.

I joined MFG less than a year ago. I'm new to the sport and everyone has been very helpful and friendly, never had any issues.

The loophole is real in most states. It's the ability to buy from an individual without a NICS check. The licensing / eFA10 system in this state plugs the loophole tightly.

What are the reports for today's show?

About as expected...
  • Got there about 1030...no waits...not too crowded but busy with the purposeful guys who are on a mission...
  • Saw the opened the bar this time...too bad I carry...
  • Seemed like more LEO's there this time...3 or 4 hanging around and walking around all the time...maybe just never noticed that many before...usually just saw one or two parked near the food vendor at entrance last few times there..
  • Biggest excitement was some guy dropped in the middle aisle about 12 and needed medevac...not sure if he tripped on the uneven carpet covering the dance floor, had too much butter around his heart, or maybe saw the prices on the table full of Pre-Ban ARs and AKs....Know my heart skipped a beat when I saw them...
  • Usual folks and vendors there... heard a couple out of state vendors commenting on yesterdays ruling and how may not be worth coming to MA anymore...
  • Some young kid at the Glock table was talking too much for knowing too little...got schooled by the vendor..was fun to watch...
  • Hardly any BO and I purposefully did not shower this morning to become one with the venue...
  • Walked out with a 9mm upper from VPP for my build and a few other small items...
All in all not as bad as expected and worth the 3 hours strolling and looking...Then again did buy some stuff so any new gun stuff day is a good day...

Back
Top Bottom