• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fox News: FBI agent charged in off-duty shooting of man on subway

AHM

NES Member
Offhand it looks like a panhandler with a past history of violence and depravity
made an off-duty FBI agent feel unsafe; so he shot him in the gut.

The agent is a 10-year veteran of the FBI, currently providing
"operational guidance and programmatic oversight" of FBI investigations
targeting racially motivated and anti-government extremists.

In other words...what's the agent's NES screen name? [wave]

Offhand it looks like a panhandler with a past history of violence and depravity
made an off-duty FBI agent feel unsafe; so he shot him in the gut.

The agent is a 10-year veteran of the FBI, currently providing
"operational guidance and programmatic oversight" of FBI investigations
targeting racially motivated and anti-government extremists.

In other words...what's the agent's NES screen name? [wave]
Bonsib also signaled his plans to invoke in his client’s defense the background of the man who was shot in asserting that the shooting was justified. He attached documents showing a lengthy criminal history that he said matched the identity of the shooting victim, including arrests for prior sexual misconduct — such as exposing himself — as well as unprovoked physical attacks. Bonsib said court records indicate the wounded man has a history of unpredictable and violent behavior, including an 2019 incident in which the man allegedly attacked and threatened to kill somebody at a Metro station.

The trouble with this as a defense is, unless you know the "victim's" previous history before, how can you even bring it up?

The trouble with this as a defense is, unless you know the "victim's" previous history before, how can you even bring it up?
I just tripped over that last week (again).

I wish I could remember how I wandered onto the topic,
but I can't.

But this looks like a good summary:

Things that look like character evidence but aren't

Well, maybe not.
That mainly discusses what a criminal prosecutor can introduce.
There's much less about criminal defendants, let alone civil cases.

Bonsib also signaled his plans to invoke in his client’s defense the background of the man who was shot in asserting that the shooting was justified. ...including an 2019 incident in which the man allegedly attacked and threatened to kill somebody at a Metro station.

Defense can introduce the reputation of the "victim" as support for the claim the shooter was under attack, as evidence of "a pertinent trait of character of the victim.” " (this is distinct from the "Rape Shield" doctrine).

I suppose it is also possible that since both were regular subway riders, shooter may have encountered this aggressive panhandler previously?

FoxNews said:
"One does not wait to be physically attacked — one does not wait until the threat has ’hands on you — before one is authorized to defend oneself," Bonsib wrote in his statement. "Neither does one need to retreat — when retreat is not possible — as was not possible here when Eddie Valdivia was seated at the end of the Metro car" with his back against the wall and "no clear exit path."

In a 911 call released in January, a witness said the agent had warned the man to back away, but the man ignored the command and instead prepared to fight him, the Washington Post reported.
"The FBI agent said: ‘Move away. I’m an FBI agent. Back away,’" the 911 caller said. "The other gentleman didn’t, dropped his bag, approached him to fight him."
The caller said the FBI agent was attacked by the other passenger but did not describe how.
Sucks that Maryland' has a "Duty to Retreat"

Last edited:
Glad to see that this "suspect" with a badge got charged with a serious felony. The rest of us would have been crucified for the same offense, with illegal possession and unlicensed concealed carry of a firearm on top of it all. His prints, mugshot and personal details will now be forever enshrined in the hallowed halls of Clarksburg, just like mine were 36 years ago.

Why would this guy be charged with a crime? This is going to ruin his whole life, lose his job, possible prison time, and he didn't even kill the guy? This guy he shot is a scumbag and deserved to be shot. This guy is so much worse than Kyrie Irving, I just feel bad for the FBI agent, a known "white hispanic" being charged just to make a point.

Unpossible. It's next to impossible to carry a gun in DC.
Unless, of course, you are a member in good standing of the LE badge-carrying fraternity. Unfortunately, most of us are just common "civilian" peons. DC shits on our 2A rights as a matter of course.

If we still arrested bums for vagrancy this never would have happened. He would have done 30 days in jail and then gotten a ride to the town line. But now we enable bums and panhandlers to the point that they threaten you if you don't give them a handout. Shoot a few more. Maybe they'll learn some manners.

Why would this guy be charged with a crime? This is going to ruin his whole life, lose his job, possible prison time, and he didn't even kill the guy? This guy he shot is a scumbag and deserved to be shot. This guy is so much worse than Kyrie Irving, I just feel bad for the FBI agent, a known "white hispanic" being charged just to make a point.
If you don’t know the difference between a bullet and a bottle you should probably never attempt self defense. (This statement has nothing to do with this case, it’s meant to address your comment)

If you don’t know the difference between a bullet and a bottle you should probably never attempt self defense. (This statement has nothing to do with this case, it’s meant to address your comment)

In order to deal with your lack of understanding more efficiently, I will be taking the advice offered in your signature.

Dude was unarmed using bad words. In general, one cannot use a firearm in self defense against an unarmed aggressor unless there is a significant disparity in size, weight, even training. The FBI agent cannot claim he did not have the unarmed skills to handle this fool without going to gun first. A female agent? Sure. In fact female LEO's shoot more often than male LEO's.
A mere mortal civilian would be facing far more severe charges.

"Robert Bonsib, a lawyer for 'agent' Valdivia, said in a lengthy statement that his client "has had an impeccable personal and professional background." He joined the bureau in 2011, and at the time of the shooting, was providing "operational guidance and programmatic oversight" of FBI investigations targeting racially motivated and anti-government extremists."

Well that explains a lot...This guy is an impeccable idiot. Lacing up his skates...No danger to public Judge rules 😂

The indictment names the man who was shot and also a second man, who it identifies as the victim of the reckless endangerment charge.

sounds like the agent didn't give a f*** about what was beyond his target

Back
Top Bottom