Four way flashers on while it's snowing...WTF???

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The number of retards that drive around in the dark with no headlights on is amazing. I was on 101A today in Amherst and this guy/broad with an SUV behind me for several miles had no headlights on. Everyone else had headlights on. I almost wanted to get out of the car at a stoplight and go TURN YOUR f***ING HEADLIGHTS ON, YOU f***ING BIRDBRAIN. [laugh]
My Subaru has a very poorly positioned parking lights switch that the car battery lobby for them to install. It can be turned on manually or by perching your smartphone there in order to watch movies during the commute. But if you leave the headlight switch on, those go off when you turn off the car so I just always leave that switch on.

The Durango has automatic headlights. They go on or off depending on ambient light. It's usually not too wrong but driving on a country road with canopied trees sometimes turns them on. It's a little annoying.

I guess the point is, these days, a lot of people probably haven't got the foggiest idea whether their lights are on, off or flashing blue in a tree.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... other loaded trucks climbing the hills, they will have their hazards on. So it must not be illegal in that
context, because otherwise CDL guys wouldn't risk doing it. (considering their fines are like 4 times the cost of anyone elses due to the rape racket the states have on that stuff).
The thing is, trucks usually get a free pass no matter what. I think it is some "professional courtesy" thing. Just look at how many dump trucks or concrete trucks FLY around small towns and never get pulled over, even the trailer dumps.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Wendell

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t saying it was prohibited...just saying it’s incredibly distracting and in most cases unnecessary.
Determinations of 'necessary' or 'unnecessary' are subjective.

I don't make a habit of using my four-way flashers just because it's snowing out, but I do take the precaution of activating them during 'snow squall' or 'white-out' conditions.

In any event, it appears to me that - in New Hampshire, at least - the practice is probably legal.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Its an American obsession.
i was driving in Germany, back in the day. Since it was a foreign place, i left my headlights on "for safety". driving thru a city, a cop stopped me, and made me turn them off. It was apparently against the law to use them during the day.
You were another threatening American invading their country. You were causing too much shelter-in-place.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Asians are NOTORIOUS for driving with 4 way flashers on.
In some states it is required. Ie you know those minimum speed signs? If you are doing less than minimum: you can get a ticket if your flashers aren't on.

I view it like the under tow flag required by maritime law.

Course getting the f off the road is probably better.

I see truckers do it when they have to come to a complete stop in heavy highway traffic until the pack behind them has obviously noticed that it's a logjam.

Wendell

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t saying it was prohibited...just saying it’s incredibly distracting and in most cases unnecessary.
Last night, while driving in a snow storm, I used my four-way flashers.

The only thing new is that - this time - in addition to the location of the road, and traffic, and pedestrians, and animals, I was also thinking of you.

Now that was distracting, and unnecessary.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Drove home in the snow on Sat Night. Did NOT turn on hazards. Not really necessary. A bit more road clearing to see the lines on 195 would have been nice.

Good news: The Ridgeline AWD is a freaking tank. I'm 99% positive it's impossible to get it to slide with your foot on the gas and letting the computer figure out which wheel gets what power. I would start sliding on turns (left right at intersections) and as soon as I hit the gas the wheels would all catch and off we would go.

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've done it in the past in heavy snow when my old bimmer had basically bald tires lol more as a safety + convenience gesture to people behind me to go around cuz I had to go super slow.

Didn't wanna put any money in that 80s car thinking it wouldn't last and the thing just wouldn't die so the tires got worse and worse until I sold it.....kind of wish I kept it now....

Still, you see people in brand new 4x4 SUVs doing that shit for no reason. People just don't know how to drive.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've done it in the past in heavy snow when my old bimmer had basically bald tires lol more as a safety + convenience gesture to people behind me to go around cuz I had to go super slow.

Didn't wanna put any money in that 80s car thinking it wouldn't last and the thing just wouldn't die so the tires got worse and worse until I sold it.....kind of wish I kept it now....

Still, you see people in brand new 4x4 SUVs doing that shit for no reason. People just don't know how to drive.
Bald tires are underrated. If it ain't blistered, it's fine. If it is blistered, it's fine until it pops.

Amazing. This thread just won't die. Four way flasher discussion; who would have thunk it :)
I'm awake at odd hours. It passes the time.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If road conditions are so bad that you feel the need to use your hazard lights then you should pull over and wait for conditions to improve. Driving with your hazards on is just annoying and distracting to other drivers.
Just like when it's snowing a little and you get stuck behind someone going 20 mph. If you're too scared to drive like normal, thats fine, just pull over and let the rest of us go.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to out myself here....

I sometimes do this when I AM HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME SEEING. This would be an extremely low visibility situation, maybe compounded by night and no lights along roadway, where I am having a hard time even making out someone's tail lights. This has happened to me a couple times driving from TX to NH or back - extreme fog, extremely heavy snow. I no longer drive at night if I can avoid it (which is about 95% of the time) because I am just not comfortable enough. I also try to avoid fog and snow (hence TX - no snow) situations.

There. I confessed. But I do my best to avoid those situations and get off the road asap if in the situation.

ETA: I also have PTSD triggered by driving in conditions like this - especially snow. SO I avoid as much as possible.
I did this one night in pea soup fog. My reasoning was that people would notice flashing lights and might not notice a steady light.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did this one night in pea soup fog. My reasoning was that people would notice flashing lights and might not notice a steady light.
If the fog is THAT dense, there are some compensatory techniques that work well for me.

First, turn off the headlights and just run the markers and the fog lights. That's what they're for. They mark your car and the fog lights are for, of all things, fog.

Next, know that the rightmost solid line on the road is called, wait for it, the fog line. The fog lights are placed to have a decent chance of illuminating the fog line. You watch that little region like a proverbial hawk and don't let it waver either direction.

Next up is GPS technology. This works in conjunction with with that fog line, but it not only guides you near term, it gives you a heads up that the road will curve left or right. With the fog line and GPS you actually don't need to be able to SEE the road.

Lastly, your vehicle is equipped with a fog horn. Now most people believe it is only useful to express frustration when the car ahead isn't moving fast enough or can't seem to decide which lane to be in, but it's really for driving in fog. While navigating by GPS and fog line, you depress the fog horn button (usually on the steering wheel) in a cadence of 1 second on, 2 seconds off. Repeat until the fog eases up.

Follow my guidelines and you will be safe as a bug in a rug. And other drivers will appreciate your consideration with the horn.

Four way flashers indeed. Who does the OP think he's kidding?!

Wendell

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If road conditions are so bad that you feel the need to use your hazard lights then you should pull over and wait for conditions to improve. Driving with your hazards on is just annoying and distracting to other drivers...
You would presuppose that: a.) conditions are going to improve, and; b.) that your presence is not really required at your destination. Both assumptions might be incorrect.

Some people have to be at work. If I didn't have to be where I was going, I wouldn't have left home in a snowstorm.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Next up is GPS technology. This works in conjunction with with that fog line, but it not only guides you near term, it gives you a heads up that the road will curve left or right. With the fog line and GPS you actually don't need to be able to SEE the road.
uh, Waze already has this. You get a warning of upcoming fog banks.
the only drawback is, it is reported by other drivers, and what their opinion of fog is may differ than what YOU think it is.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would presuppose that: a.) conditions are going to improve, and; b.) that your presence is not really required at your destination. Both assumptions might be incorrect.

Some people have to be at work. If I didn't have to be where I was going, I wouldn't have left home in a snowstorm.
Most people seem to make it where they're going without their flashers on. Must be a weird new trend. I've been driving for 40 years and I've never seen anyone except tractor trailers use their flashers other than when broken down. But hey, if it makes you feel better flash away. Maybe toot your horn every couple a seconds too if it gets really bad out.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
uh, Waze already has this. You get a warning of upcoming fog banks.
the only drawback is, it is reported by other drivers, and what their opinion of fog is may differ than what YOU think it is.
No, I mean if you can't see the ROAD for the FOG, you can see somewhat closely where you are.

Waze "assumes" you're on the road. Watch what it does when you ignore a turn it wants you to take. On the screen, you actually make the the turn, then it hesitates and shows you on the path you did take. A cross-country / aviation GPS will show you where you ARE without assuming anything.

I do use Waze, but had to turn off the "pothole" alerts because it never shut's up, in Mass.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I mean if you can't see the ROAD for the FOG, you can see somewhat closely where you are.
I have used a garmin gps like that. In a heavy snowstorm, late at night on gravel county roads in Colorado. The gps told me where the turns were, and i confirmed them by looking and braile method

kerryman71

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I see people using them all the time. I think most of them think that if you put them on, you can do what you want. Park in a fire lane or no parking area, hazards. Leave your car in the middle of the street to run in the house, hazards.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I stopped at a nighttime accident at a 'y' in the road. One car was now in the wrong lane with its headlights on and facing oncoming traffic. The idiots were just standing there looking at each other blocking traffic from going around them. I slowed and recommended that they shut off the headlights and turn on their "hazard lights" and got back a bunch of blank stares. I showed them and was on my way. I think calling them 'flashers' is part of the problem. "Hazards" warn of a condition ahead. Just my $0.02 worth.

I have only seen them used on moving vehicles out west on trucks going slower than the posted minimum speed limit.

Wendell

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the difference of opinion in this thread stems from our respective perceptions of what the word 'snowstorm' means. (As a kid, I remember being told that 'the Eskimos' had something like 100 different words for snow.*) When I say 'snowstorm', I don't just mean that it's snowing, a 'snowstorm' means something else entirely. What I might call a 'snowstorm', someone else might term a 'whiteout', and yet another might call a 'blizzard'.

* Nowadays, the internet calls that a myth.

Top Bottom