Four Seasons Firearms, Woburn, MA

You can often negotiate the consignment prices. Might take two trips however as Carl has to call the owner and get agreement on the revised price.

I've done this a number of times there, successfully.

Carl at Four Seasons

Although I have owned and shot a wide variety of firearms over the past 30 years, yesterday was a day of “firsts” for me nonetheless. Yesterday, I purchased my first Glock, a factory-refurbished Model 22, and I did so in my first purchase from Carl at Four Seasons. I realize that many compliments have been posted here at Northeastshooters.com regarding Carl, but I just want to say that he was reasonable, knowledgeable, and, above all, professional. And he deserves his own thread. ‘Nuff said!

Went there this past Saturday and could not believe how busy they were. Even though they were busy they took good care of me, great price and the transaction was smooth. Worth the hour and a half drive for me.

Purchased my first long gun from Carl last week.(Rem. 700P). What a great guy and very informative. Did not have my pin# on me so he went out of his way to insure that my purchase went smooth.Did not have a trigger lock so he gave me one. Ran out of 2xl holly t-shirts and opted for the xl. 2 days later, there was a priority envelope in my mail. He sent me the 2xl. Can't get any better than that. He's got my business anytime. And yes, he'll get his trigger lock back!!

Did not have a trigger lock so he gave me one.
Under the law, as officially interpreted by EOPS, you may not provide your own trigger lock when you pick up the gun - the dealer must sell you one. There is no law against selling you a used trigger lock, or against taking trade-in trigger locks from customers for subsequent sale to other customers :).

I've been buying firearms from Carl for over a decade. One example of the great customer service is when I bought a Remington rifle there and Carl called me 3 months later to tell me it was recalled. I just dropped it off at the shop and he took care of the details, 6 weeks later I had the fixed rifle. I never would have found about the recall on my own.

It's not the place to buy accessories but it is the best place for new and used firearms. Try and avoid the 11-1 time slot if you are in a hurry.

rep

Great Place

I like FS. Carl answers all of my emails promptly and has even searched out a rifle that I was looking for and had it shipped in from Texas for me. It took him a few days to find one for me, the point being that he really put in the effort to find it. He even gave me a cell phone number to stay in contact while he was searching...WOW! As of this point, all of my guns are from Carl's shop and I have never been disappointed with his service. Man, there is always a great variety of used stuff there all the time. The only problem is that the place tends to be a little over crowded, but thats good for Carl!

I was bored Thursday night and with my girl's permission(sad) took the short drive from Gloucester to Four Seasons to waste an hour or so. Definately hard to leave empty handed. Of course it was crowded but the majority of the helpful staff was on hand. I entered having an idea of what I wanted and within that hour, walked out with a Ruger P345 .45
Great shop and will always do business there!!! Thanks again Carl.

I drove over an hour from the south coast, past many shop's I have visited to purchase my second gun from Four Season's. It was crowded Saturday and would do it again.Thank's to Carl for running a great store.

I've bought three handguns, a small safe and many accesories from Carl. I've also transferred a number of firearms to FS from out of state. All of it was handled with professionalism and an excellent attitude.

It was also nice to visit when Holly was around. [sad2]

Great store. I've bought several firearms from them. One time I was thinking of getting one gun over another. They persuaded me to get the other. Down the road I thought, "what the hell was I thinking". They most definitely steered me in the right direction even though they may have made a larger profit if I bought what I originally wanted. They saved me from making a mistake, quite possibly at their own expense, because they knew what I wanted and made sure I got it.

Their sales people are very knowledgeable. Normally when I'm at a store (any store not just guns) and someone asks me "can I help you" I get annoyed and want to do it all myself. If you tell them what your looking for they will actually help you and point out somethings you may have missed or offer other ideas you may not have considered.

Nothing but good things to say about them.

Xak,
Agree with you completely. at all other stores I go to, when a sales person asks to help, I typically can't wait to get away from them. At Four Seasons Carl and the employees are truly helpful. It sets the standard for all other stores, not just gun shops.

Carl and his crew at Four Seasons run a really top-notch shop. They're knowledgeable and very helpful, and their prices usually can't be beat. I've bought several firearms from them, and sold one through them on consignment. If you're looking to sell, you really can't beat the visibility that you'll get having your gun on display at FS, and the used guns listings on their website are about the best that I've seen.

Also, I highly recommend signing up for Carl's email newsletter (at www.fsguns.com). It's the best way to find out about sales and shipments of popular items. Carl also does a service to the community by distributing Attorney Cohen's newsletters.

Note: As others have pointed out, the store tends to be very busy at lunchtime and on Saturdays, although Carl & co. are efficient and keep things moving. I sometimes think that they could benefit from a "Now Serving" deli system :)

Carl and his staff are fair and honest. They stock a number of firearms, have custom ordered stuff for me (Benelli Black Eagle, left handed) and done straight up FFL transfers. The gunsmith service is good and I'll never mount my own scope again.

I bought a Remington .308 PSS from Carl and a month later he called me to tell me that it was recalled. I dropped it off at his shop and it was back in a month, find another shop that will do that.

Try and avoid 11am to 1pm as it does get crowded.

Note: As others have pointed out, the store tends to be very busy at lunchtime and on Saturdays, although Carl & co. are efficient and keep things moving. I sometimes think that they could benefit from a "Now Serving" deli system :)

+1 on the deli numbers at busy times. The layout of the counter area doesn't really allow for an orderly line. Also, that way you could browse the ammo and accessories while waiting for someone to help you with a gun purchase. When I was there last Saturday to buy a 10/22, I just browsed until the lunchtime rush died down.

Great shop with mostly great prices and uniformly excellent service. I'm lucky (wallet wise) I didn't see the particular model of SW1911 I want in the case, or it may have followed me home. Darn Smith and their rebates.

Done with these guys

I'll be the resident contrarian on this thread. Went up Tuesday to look at two weapons listed on the web site. First one was sold, but apparently the web site wasn't updated. Joe is the guy in charge of MilSurps or used rifles or something. Joe wasn't working and no one else was sure if it was sold or not. Not that I expect them to bother Joe when he's not working, but they could have offered to leave him a note and call me to let me know either way. Apparently the large hand written sign on the computer monitor directing all employees to remove sold guns from the web site doesn't mean that they actually should do it. I'm not tremendously upset about this since I wanted to get out of the house and the second weapons was there. Still, this has happened to me before and I'd be really annoyed if this was the only reason I went up there.

Second weapon was a used S&W revolver. I looked it over and made an offer. Since it's a consignment gun the owner has to be consulted. Fair enough, I wrote my name and cell number down on a piece of paper. I'm guessing that the guy didn't like my offer, but I don't know since everyone is too busy to call me or something.

Too bad since I had enough cash in my pocket to buy the first and put a good downpayment on the second for pick up this coming week.

Nope, I'll not darken FSG's door again. There will be more guns, ammo, and other stuff for you those of you who love Four Seasons.

Me? I'll find other shops at which to spend my money.

Gary

That's the only real complaint I hear aout FS - they're too busy, the place is a zoo, etc. I've bought stuff there and will again and I think they do a pretty good job of attending to customers considering how busy they usually are. But I can understand how they get that rep and why some people just don't want to deal with it.

Nope, I'll not darken FSG's door again.---Garys
That's too bad it's really a nice store. I hope you reconsider and drop by there again when it's less busy.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Sometimes if you see something you want I would call first and see if its still there and they will put it aside for you. Consignment you shoud have been called one way or another.

That's too bad it's really a nice store. I hope you reconsider and drop by there again when it's less busy.

Respectfully,

jkelly

The funny thing is that it wasn't that busy at all. There was one guy finishing up a purchase when I walked in and another just starting to buy a .22 target pistol. I more or less know where the MilSurps are, so I walked over to that corner to look for the rifle. I planned to look it over. I had a bore light, a copy of my C&R, and as they say an undisclosed amount of US currency in my pocket. When I didn't see what I was looking for, I wandered over to the counter and looked at the long guns on the wall, none of which appeared to be MilSurps. It really wasn't until I couldn't find it at all that I approached anyone for help.

That's not the problem. Their inability to track their inventory in a timely fashion is. And their lack of follow up on my offer on the revolver. They really don't seem to give a shit if they sell to a particular person or not. I guess that comes from being one of only a relatively few gun shops in the state.

Gary

+1 with Garys.

I haven't been in 4 Seasons in about a year. Last time I was there it was to bring in my newly FID'd son to get aquainted with the place...no one could bother to help. We had a legal question...another mistake, don't ask a gunshop legal questions regarding guns of all things...all we got was someone yelling into the back room to Carl and a NO in response. God forbid he came out front to explain the answer and see if he could help me spend my money...looking at sks at the time. They were not that busy but I seemed to be interupting lunch as a couple of "workers" kept rotating in and out of the back room and showing up with mouthfuls and handfuls of food. As has been mentioned already, I've found a couple of places that like my money, are alot more pleasant and helpful to deal with. To each his own.

I live in Woburn and frequently visit Four Seasons. I buy 80% of my stuff there...

One tip:

do NOT go there when you are on your lunch break, what you think are "off-peak" hours or have any event to attend in the same day....

there will be at least 30 other people thinking the exact same thing as you and when you go inside, BAM! It's still crowded.

i usually enjoy chit-chatting with other customers, getting pointers on stuff and comparing pea shooters.

Or some people have low expectations of customer service.---Garys
I think a more accurate statement might be that some people realize the level of customer service will at times be good and at others lacking.

My understanding is that Four Seasons is the busiest gun store in the state so they must be doing enough right with some regularity.

But if you’re upset with the shop, then you’re upset with the shop. I am really sorry to see you won’t have access to the large number of guns that flow through there.

Respectfully,

jkelly

If you ever have a problem give Carl a call and let him know what happened. It is still a good store and Carl is good people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom