Four Seasons Firearms, Woburn, MA

There's only one thing I don't like about Four Seasons: Every time I walk into the place it costs me lots of money!!!

Of course, I usually walk out with a new gun, so I really shouldn't complain... 8)

Seriously, I have nothing but praise for Carl and the rest of the crew at Four Seasons. It's a good thing they're ~ 30 miles away, because I'd sure spend more money if they were closer...

Shooters' Nirvana!

Just bought a G22 from FS Guns. Today! I made the Pilgramage from western MA to Woburn, and it was well worth the trip.

They stock EVERYTHING.

Including a wide selection of firearms, hard to find ammo, targets for various forms of competition shooting, and a great selection of holsters, etc.

Cust. service was outstanding, and well worth the 2 hour trip.

Shooters' Nirvana!

Thor where in western mass are you ??
I am in Greenfield and get to FS every now and then..There isn't much to be had in this end of the state..
There is Jurek's though and at times they have good stuff..

bompa,

I went to Jurek's about three weeks ago and picked up the S&W Victory model they had. It was rough cosmetically but in okay mechanical shape. They seemed to have many more long guns than handguns.

Bompa - I'm in a little town close to Ware.

I've only been into Jurek's once. Boxes of holsters everywhere. Maybe it was just inventory day though. Didn't think much of their service or selection.

About the best out this way that I've been to is R R in Belchertown. AAA in Springfield is supposed to have a good selection, but I haven't made it there yet.

It's a good thing they're ~ 30 miles away, because I'd sure spend more money if they were closer...

It's a real problem when you buy something in a new caliber. I end up going back for more ammo, 'cause I don't have any at home and I shoot the new toy a lot for a few weeks. And then I make more trips, because I really owe it to myself to try out five different manufacturers to see which it likes the best. Then I remember I need to get a new bore brush the right size. Better get some more patches, too. And damn, I can't get along on just two mags. Better get four more. And now I need a bigger gun case. And targets; I need more targets. And I really need some Shoot N C targets to slap on those paper targets -- gotta be able to see what I'm hitting when I sight in this sucker at 25 yards. Maybe I should pick up a holster next time I go out....

If Four Seasons was a tavern, I'd be in detox right now.

I've got to echo all the praise for Carl and Four Seasons. I drove from Springfield to Woburn a few months ago, burning that $2.00 a gallon gas all the way, and it was well worth the trip. Outstanding selection of new and used guns, very impressive ammo selection, and I even found a little Don Hume pocket holster I'd been looking for for my Seecamp. I'm glad they're not closer or I'd definitely be a lot poorer!

First trip to FS...

I made my first trip to FS guns yesterday. I put a deposit down on a used S&W 908 in great condition, which I'll buy next weekend when the 'tax holiday' is in effect (save enough to buy 50 rounds of ammo for 'free'). The prices were right and the staff there was better than any other shop I've been too in MA. Hats off to them!!

However, I can say that for all the praise I heard about the shop and people saying it's selection was huge, I was expecting a larger store with more guns. I grew up in Clearfield PA where I went to a place called Grices Gun Shop and the place was giant. Hundreds of guns if not more. I guess I grew up spoiled in an extremely well stocked gun store full of friendly small town folk. Guess everything else will be a letdown in some way.

However, for MA, Four Seasons was amazing.

Just wanted to give another praise for Four Seasons and Carl's excellent customer service. I purchased a gun there that was on consignment and was to include several additional accessories with the purchase. Well after several weeks the original owner had not brought in the extra stuff. Carl was about to buy brand new accessories out of his own pocket for me to make sure I got what I paid for. In the end the owner brought the parts in and all was well. Seeing that Carl was willing to do that ensured that I'll be a long time customer of Four Seasons for years to come.

Since Carl seems to be "forum challenged", he asked me to post something up here about the "Tax Free Weekend" . . .

If there is something that you want but Carl doesn't have it in hand by Saturday, you can still order it and pay for it on Saturday, thus avoiding the MA Sales Tax.

Carl expects to have the shop fully staffed on Saturday for the expected onslaught! :D

I hope to head up there on Saturday myself.

Happy Shopping.

www.fsguns.com

Get there early, I got there at 8.45 am on a Saturday. They open at 9 by 10 am it was like the Wedding dress sale at Filene's Basement.

A long time ago, when I lived in the People's Republic, Four Seasons was always the go-to shop for me. There were some police supply stores much closer that were OK, but Four Seasons always seemed to have just about everything I needed, and for very good prices.

Safes are not taxed anyway

I was one of the many waiting for the tax-free day to come.

I went to buy the largest Sentry Safe that FS carries. Well, all the
electronic ones were already sold by noon. So I bought one of the dial type combination ones for about $80 less. So I was still happy.

BUT, for future reference know that safes are ALWAYS tax free under MA
sales tax law. So although I enjoyed the 50 mile drive to Woburn, I didn't have to wait for the tax-free day.

Now I know for next time.

Re: Safes are not taxed anyway

traveler57 said:
I was one of the many waiting for the tax-free day to come.

I went to buy the largest Sentry Safe that FS carries. Well, all the
electronic ones were already sold by noon. So I bought one of the dial type combination ones for about $80 less. So I was still happy.

BUT, for future reference know that safes are ALWAYS tax free under MA
sales tax law. So although I enjoyed the 50 mile drive to Woburn, I didn't have to wait for the tax-free day.

Now I know for next time.

You could have ordered what you wanted, paid for it and await Carl's next shipment if you wanted the electronic one.

Also, beware that some gun shops may still charge sales tax (illegally) on gun locks and gun safes. One that comes to mind is in Waltham . . . he refused to even accept the MA DOR TIR that I sent him about this law (passed in 1999). This was a few years ago, but I don't know if he's smartened up yet. He whacked me for $8.00 sales tax on the gun safe I bought from him.

I bought my one and (at the moment) only gun from Four Seasons: a Smith and Wesson 66. Good service, good advice. People at the range think the gun is terrific. Since I'm new to the gun thing, I can't really compare the gun to any alternatives. I know that I like it, though, and it shoots a whole lot better than I do. It was used and a little less than half the price of the new S&Ws in stock. I can't say if it's possible to get the same gun for cheaper elsewhere, but this one was at least a decent price.

I got my safe at Four Seasons great deal. As for Model 66's their a great revolver. I have 66-2 in 2 1/2 and a 66-5 in 4 and I tend to like the 66-5 trigger better. That really surprised me because it has a action like my M 27-2. S&W stopped making the 66 which is a real shame great guns.

Just would like to chime in with my FS experience. They were very helpful and customer oriented w/all my purchases. Price are good too. I brought my small family up with me when I bought my AR. Carl was very nice to me & my family. Even gave my wife a free t-shirt too.

I wish they had a little more floor room AND they'd open a location on on the south shore. Really a big void down here for a good gun shop.

I'm going back tomorrow for some ammo and another pistol.

senorFrog said:
Just would like to chime in with my FS experience. They were very helpful and customer oriented w/all my purchases. Price are good too. I brought my small family up with me when I bought my AR. Carl was very nice to me & my family. Even gave my wife a free t-shirt too.

I wish they had a little more floor room AND they'd open a location on on the south shore. Really a big void down here for a good gun shop.

If Carl opened up on the South Shore, I'd probably ask him for a job there! Then I'd be perpetually broke! [twisted]

Made a fun purchase yesterday

I've always wanted an M1 carbine. FS had one on consignment for a really low price (it is pretty beatup), but Joe who is the expert on them broke the whole thing down on the counter, checked out the parts and barrel and said everything was tight and solid. I wasn't able to get the owner to come down, but I think it is still a steal. Once I get the wood refinished it ought to look pretty sharp. Anyway, he spent a good half hour with me going through all that. Can't wait to shoot it. I'm still photographically challenged so no pix.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to clean the receiver assembly?
It comes right out pretty easily and I was hoping to be able to find something I could just dip it in and wipe off.
Thanks [lol]

I was looking thru an online military tech manual (probably M1) and the recommended method was Kerosene. Ace Hardware stores sell 1 gal containers of odorless for $5.99 and the stinky kind was $4.00/gal (IIRC). I bought a few gallons a couple weeks ago, hoping to clean up my old C&Rs and get a chance to shoot them over the Fall/Winter.

Do a Google search on M1 Carbine and you'll probably find some online military tech resources.

LenS said:
senorFrog said:

If Carl opened up on the South Shore, I'd probably ask him for a job there! Then I'd be perpetually broke! [twisted]

Len- just apply for the job and under "salary requested" just write in "will work for guns" :D

SR, remember I live next door to where Mike lives. At current and future gas costs, I couldn't afford to drive to Woburn each day . . . salary would barely pay for gas money! [evil]

Don't think that Carl would build a second business South of Boston. :(

Newbie with a Great Four Seasons Experience

Well, with a new LTC A in hand, a recommendation from my firearms home safety and first pistol instructor and more importantly admiring the frequent emails with email specials that I get from Four Season, I left the confines of Upton, MA and headed to Woburn and the home of Four Seasons for my first firearm purchase this past Thurs afternoon. (40 or so miles away)

While I semi-blindly headed in the direction of Four Seasons there was an opportunity to deviate from my path. The Gun Room in Shrewsbury is closer. My firearms instructor gave me a polite warning and after stumbling upon this forum tonight it appears that he was being POLITE with his buyer beware message regarding the Gun Room. A few other shops were mentioned (and I passed by) and will probably get my future business but from the FS website and the frequent emails that I've been receiving from FS I knew this was probably the place that I wanted to make my first purchase.

Thank God for GPS in the car as this place is easy to blow by. Even when you find the location you need to hunt and peck to find the actual store in the rear basement of the building. It's worth the wait. When you walk in you immediately pause as there is a lot of product in front of you in a very small space. It reminds me of the feeling that you used to get when you walked into Spag's in Shrewsbury before Building 19 bought out the family but --1/998th the size. Piles and piles of merchandise stacked from floor to ceiling.

I explained to Tom ( I think his last name is MacDonald) that I was a newbie and want to get my feet wet with a .22 for pistol shooting experience but wanted his perspective on a concealed carry. First, we spent time getting to a short list of .22's for pistol shooting. A Ruger Mark III is what I came in with the expectation of buying and he confirmed that was a good choice to get my feet wet without breaking the bank. BTW, it their Rugers Mark .22's are priced right- especially when on Internet special and a $20 coupon from your firearm instructor.

Second, I was thinking about a Glock 26 or a Sig 332 but after explaining my use intention he encourage me to look at revolver (SW 340PD) or a small .32 Seecamp. He wasn't heavy handed in his recommendations but put it into perspective the various options that I should consider based upon his 42 X years of carrying. (and the limited choice that you have by living in the People's Republic). On a side note...even though we are in the Republic and it appears that the Attorney General has more power than the Governor the depth and breadth of the FS stock is pretty amazing. It made me feel that I had options.

While I didn't walk away with a concealed carry I have significant knowledge and insight that you can not obtain from reading email mailing lists and website/magazine reviews. Yes, they did upsell me a safe, ammunition, and cleaning supplies that I could of bought on the web cheaper but I asked for the upsell and they obliged. In the big scheme of things their prices are very competitive even with many of the websites and catalogs. It must be tough to be in the firearms business in Mass but they seem to have found the right combination to be successful.

Bottom line after this long posting...yes, the prior high marks for this store is well founded. Most of the posters were well experienced with prior firearm purchases. What's different is that I was a newbie and also had a TREMENDOUS experience. I'm in the customer service business and watched closely how they treated their other customers. Everyone was treated with Top Notch respect while in the store. I encourage you to make the drive even if you get stuck in traffic. (Sidenote-a MBTA bus burned down on the Pike during my return home and I was stuck in traffic for hours but it was still worth the trip.)

Killington, congratulations on the new LTC and welcome to NorthEast Shooters! I am not the designated greeter for this forum. But I do play one on the internet. :D

Four Seasons is one of the best stores around and it sounds like they gave you some good advice. The Ruger MkIII is a great firearm for a beginner to practise with. I think you will be happy with it.

For what it's worth, I have a S&W 342PD and I think it is an excellent pistol for concealed carry. As you gain experience shooting, there are quie a few semi autos you can choose from but a good sturdy revolver should never let you down.

I'm sure that all of us look forward to your continued participation on the forum.

Four Seasons has my Vote!
I've spent too much $ there! [shock]
Great staff, fine selection, and that online Used List is super.
Trouble is, I went up there a couple of weeks back for bullets & powder, and factory ammo, but I walked out with that stuff plus a Single Six! [wink] I've used restraint, to keep from heading back up there too soon...

Their online list will be my eventual downfall. I work five minutes from Four Seasons. When I see something good appear on the list it's no trouble for me to pop over and take a look at it. I've ended up with two nice pistols that way. Hmmm...there's a P7M8 on there right now.

Back
Top Bottom