Four guns every man should own

Brother I took my MPR out to the range for the first time 9 months ago right? I had my (now ex - what a sexy girl she was... (sad face).. girlfriend - not a shooter, an old man I call pops who I had met two month's prior, a neighbor kid who never shot a rifle of any kind before, and myself. Brother I put a cheap ass tru-glo from gander on that rifle with no means to make any adjustments considering the downsides of a public range, and none could miss the sam's colas I set on the lower berm at 100 yards. It's an insanely "practically accurate" piece. Practical accuracy to me meaning the kind of accuracy which can be expected casually shooting offhand, perspiring, noise in the background, having to fart as the shot is about ready, etc. It's ergonomics, along with it's rifling, barrel length and balance, etc, in essence it's "package", lends itself to being very forgiving of real world conditions to ensure it's accuracy.
Let me know what you're on. I want that. I'm not bashing the Ruger, but I sincerely doubt that a run of the mill mid tier no special ar15 (with proprietary parts, no less) is all that great. Ok, so Cutypie and Pops hit something at 100. It's a milspec receiver, so the ergos are the exact same as any other milspec AR. It's a 16" barrel, so the balance is the same or very similar to most ARs out there. It's a Ruger barrel, so accuracy may or may not be in the "acceptable" range for most of us. But you're right, maybe I should just get rid of my BCM and my builds ( Show your AR builds. ) and buy a Rger and nail a cheapass Truglo bullshit optic on there. I'll rule the battlefield, I guess.

Finalists to include....
AMC Gremlin
Ford Pinto
Chevy Vega
And all of the K cars

Silly.

You know better. There's no more versatile car than the Ford Model T. It's still in the top ten for number of cars sold. It runs on gasoline, kerosene, or ethanol. Replace the wheels with flanges and you can run them on railroad tracks. You can mount the horn on either side. The transmission used either wood or cotton, and any reasonable survivalist should be able to redo a transmission using nothing but his shirt.

It's got wooden wheels, fer cryin' out loud. If you bust a rim, all you need is a trip to the lumber section of HD and a bandsaw.

Versatile!

Four platforms every man should own... Would have been good too.

Minimum; One of each of the below:

1) Mag-fed Battle Rifle of your choice...
2) Duty Pistol of your choice... (minimum of 9mm)
3) .22lr Rimfire Rifle of your choice...
4) 12 or 20 Gauge Shotgun of your choice... (preferably 12ga)

*Minimum 1,000 rounds of practice ammo for each of above, 300 rounds defensive ammo for above, minimum 4 spare magazines for above, IFAK.
Also, ability to diagnose and field-repair minor issues with above while maintaining a small inventory of springs and common-wear parts.

Anyone should be able to put the above together for less than $5,000. Maybe closer to $3,000; if you choose used firearms and stick with iron sights and forgo the Tactical bling.

Your life is worth more than Three Grand...

Last edited:
Realistically, if you can only have four, (which is inherently unrealistic) I would have one bolt action rifle, one semi auto rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun that you can both carry easily and shoot fairly well (service pistol size-ish).

This is basically my philosophy. I'm working on the shotgun and bolt gun. I have 2 rifles and 4 Glocks that are all configured the same

It's insane how little people know about anything these days..lol. Glad to have motivated a few.
BTW, Remington never called their 760 or 7600 a "pump" action, always noted as a "slide action" in the brochure nomenclature.

BTW my favorite rifle isn't my MPR, it's my Hawkeye .300 RCM bought out of BUD's for 500.00 even in LH. Gorgeously blued and walnut stocked. And my overpriced Kimber? 650.00 out of Rural King. Go rack a slide on anything else and then rack the slide of a Kimber - enough
said.

"Ruger AR556 MPR.

This is hands down the very best AR15 rifle offered on the market today."

No. It's not.
How many AR platforms have you tried?

"Mossbergs and Remingtons cannot compete for strength, and are mediocre in comparison when it comes to instant handling and follow up shots."

So how much did your times improve or your places in 3 gun when you switched from your Remington and Mossberg pumps to the Winchester?

3 gun huh? I see you're a hero. My post wasn't meant for heroes, it was meant to inform the uninitiated who can admit they aren't all that informed. If you think you are going to gung ho a bunch of armed guys looking to take you down, well that's on you buddy. I'm talking survival and having the best tools on hand to ensure that. The weapons which will give you the most lethality and survivability in a real world scenario where you try to AVOID engagements. Not talking Nintendo.

Suburu Brat

Suburu WRX

Suburu Imprezza

Suburu Outback

1972 Chevrolet k20 camper special manual 4 speed sm465, 350 with holly 4 barrel - regular cab.
1985 Chevrolet k20 camper special manual 4 speed sm465 350 with Holly 4 barrel - regular cab.
1986 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 manual 4 speed , 318 Holly 4 barrel - regular cab
1990 Ford F250 4x4 manual 4 speed T-18, 300 I-6 - regular cab
1993 Chevy k2500 manual 5 speed NVG 4500 w/ 350 TBI - regular cab

1972 Chevrolet k20 camper special manual 4 speed sm465, 350 with holly 4 barrel - regular cab.
1985 Chevrolet k20 camper special manual 4 speed sm465 350 with Holly 4 barrel - regular cab.

Let me guess - more stuff you bought so therefore it’s the best?

3 gun huh? I see you're a hero. My post wasn't meant for heroes, it was meant to inform the uninitiated who can admit they aren't all that informed. If you think you are going to gung ho a bunch of armed guys looking to take you down, well that's on you buddy. I'm talking survival and having the best tools on hand to ensure that. The weapons which will give you the most lethality and survivability in a real world scenario where you try to AVOID engagements. Not talking Nintendo.

So it's a list of best guns for avoiding confrontation?

I don't do 3 gun. Spent the better part of 2 years of my life in a combat zone with all that shit strapped on me......praying I'd never actually need it. Didn't work out that way though. Spending a Saturday with all that shit strapped on me is not my idea if a good time. Plus my va therapist would probably advise against it. Nice try though.
The point I am trying to make is how do you know it's faster handling than mossy or Remy? Please tell me the details.

So it's a list of best guns for avoiding confrontation?

That's funny. My posts are meant to be taken with some salt, not because they are untrue in any way but because of the irony of it all. You can't be serious in your interpretation, and if you are, well, then it's something of a laughing matter about a very serious scenario which you simply don't understand. Most men these days have no idea how to change spark plugs or drive a stick shift, old timers are getting called out of retirement all the time in order to perform these chores for the masses. Ride a horse? Plant a garden? Educate a woman? Forget it. BUT.. you're all smart asses - THAT you are VERY good at. Beyond that, not much. Sad to say. Oh, and video games and wild imaginations..lol. The old timers know what I'm getting at as I am among the last of them. Most of you cannot even construct a proper paragraph or write in cursive.

That's funny. My posts are meant to be taken with some salt, not because they are untrue in any way but because of the irony of it all. You can't be serious in your interpretation, and if you are, well, then it's something of a laughing matter about a very serious scenario which you simply don't understand. Most men these days have no idea how to change spark plugs or drive a stick shift, old timers are getting called out of retirement all the time in order to perform these chores for the masses. Ride a horse? Plant a garden? Educate a woman? Forget it. BUT.. you're all smart asses - THAT you are VERY good at. Beyond that, not much. Sad to say. Oh, and video games and wild imaginations..lol. The old timers know what I'm getting at as I am among the last of them. Most of you cannot even construct a proper paragraph or write in cursive.

Relax old timer we're just messing with you.

This is getting good all of a sudden.

There comes a thing called "diminishing returns". And what that means is, as technology progresses and things become easier, they also become more complicated and unobtainable because of that. The convenience of it all. People are becoming lazier, and life is becoming duller and less rewarding as a result of what comes easy. My men will understand they are to obey without question in a battle specific scenario. In turn they see me on the front line taking the most risks. If I get done, the man most like me takes charge and the process resumes. That is how it must be. Not anything I made up, just a part of being the human species at war. You cannot ask another to do something that you yourself would not do. Not if you are an honest human being.

I am going to go ahead and make a HOT take: I am sick of the 1911 JMB circle jerk. It is a great design. It advanced firearms technology to what we see today. However, it is 2020 and the 1911 is now antiquated.

I like 1911s they are cool as hell, but if I am making a short list of guns, it doesn’t make the cut.

9mm striker fire pistol of your preference
.357 Ruger GP 100 or s&w 686 4-6”
12 gauge mossberg 500 18” and 28”
Ar-15: any major manufacturer
What is wrong with you ? Lol

It's insane how little people know about anything these days..lol. Glad to have motivated a few.
BTW, Remington never called their 760 or 7600 a "pump" action, always noted as a "slide action" in the brochure nomenclature.
Yeah so what pump/slide action who cares , it did not even make your list and its a decent rifle.
Especially the 7615

Last edited:

I'll take the '93 in a crew cab, but I'd prefer one just a few years newer with the Duramax. Once I find one and sort it, I am going to probably sell my deuce and a half.

As far as the original list, I will take my 1989 version 10-22, Gen 2 Glock 19, Remington 870, and my built AR with the same Nikon optic as the .22.

That list puts food on the table, QCB, a super reliable carryable sidearm and can each out and touch someone as far as these old eyes will see.

If we're doing a 5th bonus, as a standoff rifle, I'll take my M82A1. But carrying it very far SUCKS.

Last edited:
I don't do 3 gun. Spent the better part of 2 years of my life in a combat zone with all that shit strapped on me......praying I'd never actually need it. Didn't work out that way though. Spending a Saturday with all that shit strapped on me is not my idea if a good time. Plus my va therapist would probably advise against it. Nice try though.
The point I am trying to make is how do you know it's faster handling than mossy or Remy? Please tell me the details.
If your not rocking the win speed pump 1300 The Fastest Semi Auto Pump action yiur wrong, lol

Back
Top Bottom