• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Founders Book Bomb/Launch day - Anyone buying?

I'm just curious who's buying or has ordered. I didn't read the first, thought the second was meh. My only real reason for buying it would be to support Rawles and his site, as my expectations are pretty low.

(and yeah, I know I spoke highly of Survivors initially, but that was before I read Alas and Lights Out and realized survival writing doesn't have to be weak.)

I pre-ordered it. I hope it's better than Survivors.

I am much more excited that Lost and Found, the next book from David Crawford, is due out this fall. I read the first few chapters online, and have been dying to read the whole book.

Is that the one titled Collision Course, due Nov. 6th? Thanks for the heads up, I'll look forward to that. Lights Out was great. My wife even liked it.

Btw, if you search 'lost and found' on Amazon, you get a bunch of trashy romance novels and one about a lost dog.

Pre ordered on the nook and will begin tonight as long as the wife does not get there first. I am hopeing it is not withen the relm of Survivors. Rawles is a great writer after reading patriots but he does need to redeem himself with this one.

Is that the one titled Collision Course, due Nov. 6th? Thanks for the heads up, I'll look forward to that. Lights Out was great. My wife even liked it.

Btw, if you search 'lost and found' on Amazon, you get a bunch of trashy romance novels and one about a lost dog.

I guess he changed the title. That's the same book that was online as 'Lost and Found'. By the time I found out about it, he only had the first few chapters posted.

I was hooked after the first few chapters, and have been waiting a year to read the rest.

http://www.amazon.com/Collision-Cou...qid=1348586921&sr=1-1&keywords=david+crawford

My copy of Founders arrived in today's mail. Pretty impressive since it shipped yesterday.

Based on the reviews at Amazon, I have low expectations. It sounds like a lot of cutting and pasting from the first two books.

I'll probably start it tonight.

Based on the reviews at Amazon, I have low expectations. It sounds like a lot of cutting and pasting from the first two books.

Yeah, my copy was delivered today(ordered at 5 pm yesterday). The reviews I've seen say better than the last one but not as good as the first. I guess that puts a floor under how underwhleming it might be.

At least it should karma well.

Heh, I was pondering whether to post an update. It's preachy, basic in a condescending way, and all the bad stuff that was true of the other books. Old timey courtships, pages and pages about messianic Jews and born again Christians, highly detailed descriptions of preps along with explanations of why they are doing it, and constant product placement for items and vendors recommended on the blog.

There are a few redeeming qualities, but so far it mostly highlights all the things I didn't like about the second book. (I didn't read the first.)

I love the part where each person is expected to personally restore a '70's car from the ground up so as to have an EMP-proof vehicle. And then...

At least I can start On Killing soon, because at less than 300 pages of giant font, it won't take long to finish this.

I finished the book last night. I don't want to give too much away, but I am disappointed overall. Rawles' writing style generally is haphazard, and his approach to characters is capricious. As the protagonists work their way through the story, they come into contact with other people, who become key players in the main characters' progress. Then they just drop out of the story. No follow up, no happy or sad ending. Similarly, small characters are introduced briefly and never mentioned again. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a lesson, or a warning, or what. They add nothing to the story. He also retells parts of the story. I noticed that two chapters begin with Sheila(?) Randall at the seed shop in KY; they are almost identical pages, with some changes, but saying the same thing. Apparently trading seeds for bullets is important enough that you should be reminded.

Yet: as usual, Rawles spends an inordinate amount of time talking about how everybody is packing a Wiggly's sleeping bag, or has a Big Berkee water filter, or some knife, or ACU camos, or some other product that advertises on his blog. I know I'm repeating myself, but it's pervasive.

If you want this book as a thinly veiled instruction manual on how to implement your preps, set up your coms, develop your cipher, etc, then you may well like it.

The moral of the story is that the UN is evil, you'll never get our guns, and that born-again Christians and Messianic Jews are the only ones who can save us.

I finally finished this turd last night. It took me about 3x longer than usual, because I kept getting pissed and throwing it across the room. I swear that more than half of this book is cut and pasted from his previous two books, and more than a third of it is straight religion that adds nothing to the storyline. There is almost no 'survival' content whatsoever, and what is there was already covered in his first two books.

I didn't like Survivors, but I gave Rawles one more chance on this book. I will not be buying another.

If you have not read Patriots, it is a very good instructional book that is thinly disguised as a novel. The characters are one-dimensional and forgettable, but the storyline is engaging and it is packed full of useful information. There is nothing useful in this new book. Nothing.

I bet his next book will be written from the perspective of Shona, the dog...

This book blows. It literally put me to sleep last night. Seems like sections were just chopped right from his other books. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through it, trying to build up the energy to work into it again tonight. Pretty disappointed.

Way disappointed with this book. If this has been the first installment, I wouldn't have read the other two.

Back
Top Bottom