Found my Eddystone 1917 at Marlboro

USMA-82

NES Member
I went to the Marlboro show this weekend with the intent to make an acquisition: either a Finnish M39, or a U.S. Model 1917 rifle. The M39's were nowhere to be found, but there were at least two 1917's, include the one I eventually bought from Guns and Gun Parts (rear of the hall, along the back wall).

It's an Eddystone, serial # 944,xxx, with a correct barrel dated 7 - 18. All visible parts are Eddystone, with the exception of the butt plate and the rear sight slide (Remington). The wood is in tremendous shape - there has been some "refinishing" but the Arsenal stamps are still visible on the side and underneath the stock.

The bore is terrific too - one guy at the show had a guage, and measure the muzzle wear for me: 1.75 Now I got to find a gunsmith to give it a once over, including a headspace check.

I had at least a dozen folks ask me 1) was it for sale? and 2) how much did you pay for it? Every one of them told me I stole it for the price I paid! I have to agree. Similar postings on the gun auction websites were $100 to $200 more than I paid.

I'll give a shot at posting a picture, but this is my first attempt - hope it comes out alright.....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/USMA-82/EddystoneModel1917.jpg

EddystoneModel1917.jpg

Always loved that picture, Pilgrim!

The one thing I didn't show on the picture is the Kerr sling that came with the gun. I never heard of it until someone at the show saw it and said an original is worth $65 - $75 by itself! I have no idea if it's a repro or not.

I was also sorely tempted by a 1917 bayonet to go with the rifle - it was "only" $110, but the scabbard was in pretty bad shape. So I when I got home I wimped out and got a repro from www.ima-usa.com for $69 plus shipping! Oh, well... it will match my repro 1905 for the Springfield.

I did pick up a copy of C.S. Ferris' "United States Rifle Model of 1917" at the show. Wow! I can't believe how much I didn't know about the history of this rifle.

Nice rifle USMA. Glad you got a deal at the show too.

I have an original Kerr listed on FleaBay right now. The repros go for about $25 or so.

USMA-82 said:
JonJ:

Any way to tell if it is original or not? It doesn't have any markings, other than the writing on the buckle.
I couldn't tell ya....The only reason I "know" this is real is because it looks it! Each buckle is marked with the patent date, NOBUCKL and the patent reg mark. All metal is brass and tarnished, newer real ones are parked. It's getting harder and harder to tell, the repros are so good, like your bayonet.
An old collector once told me to smell it. If it's musty or "old" smelling it's a good sign.

Pilgrim said:
I bought 6 of the new ones from Sportsmans Guide about a year ago. ..$20 each. You're right about the smell, these are real strong leather smelling.
Are these the Kerr NOBUCKL canvas slings? Leather smell?

OK... now you made me run downstairs, open up the safe and smell the sling. No musty smell, hardware is bright and shiny... DAMN!

It's stamped with the Nu Buckl name, and "pat'd 7-21-14" but it must be a repro to be in such good shape, no?

Ken, I didn't look real close at the rifle, but it sure looked nice to me when you and Jon Green were looking it over. Enjoy!

Gauges for damn near anything are available from Brownells and Midway. C&R FFL earns you a discount, at least from Midway (Brownells may not discount them, they tend not to discount "tools").

Clymer headspace gauges are considered better/more accurate than other brands.

Being so "new" looking would be a tip off. You'd hope to look so good after how many years? [wink] The "newer" real ones may also be stamped on the canvas "MRT" for Mildew Resistant Treatment.

The reason I'm selling is mine is I figure I won't ever own a 1917. I get the felling that I'm going to kick myself in the arse sooner or later.

JonJ said:
The reason I'm selling is mine is I figure I won't ever own a 1917.

DON'T SAY THAT ! You might get to believing it. 1917's are not that expensive. Keep your eyes open and you'll get one.

"I NEED A 1917" Keep saying that over and over, especially as you lay your head on your pillow every night!

So Len:

The standard .30-06 Clymer Headspace guage from Brownells would work with the 1917? It seems that some are firearm-specific, and I've never bought one before. Get both the "Go" and "No-Go", right?

Good to see you at the show - unfortunately, I didn't make the connection at the time (oh, THAT Len!) or I would have stopped to chat longer - sorry.

Ken

Ken,

I'm going to defer to others on definitive info on gauges, as I am not an expert here. However, it has been my understanding that at least for US Military weapons, they "should" all be the same for the same caliber.

If you compare dimensions between Clymer, Manson, etc. gauges, you will see some differences. The C&R experts (I don't claim that expertise, only interest) claim that the Clymers are the most accurate.

To assist you in answering your question (and I'll later cut 'n paste to a new sticky) here are some good reading resources on headspace:

http://hybrid.ualr.edu/satu/headspace.html

http://www.fulton-armory.com/headspace.htm

http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-October99.html

http://www.clymertool.com/headspac/index.html

http://hometown.aol.com/yankeng/myhomepage/business.html - NOTE: This is a very local company, don't know much about them.

Found My Eddystone

Very Nice looking rifle, have one myself, but Pilgrim need one so we will have to find him a bayonet so he can shop around to put somthing under it
i like his style get the bayont,then you have to buy a rifle(sounds good to me)any excuse to by anouther millsurp is a good excuse!!

TAKE CARE Sheriff Dudley
S.A.S.S. #17925

Yup - my favorite trick is to buy the ammo first (a caliber I never had before), and then I HAVE to buy the gun to go with it....

Ordered some Clymer Headspace gauges from Brownell's that have ALREADY SHIPPED! Hope there's going to be some decent weather coming up this weekend! The range is calling me...

Found 1917 at Marlboro

Boy i got that wrong its jonj that we should find a bayo for
looks like Pilgrim has his already, and a nice looking one at that.
dont mind me im old & broken, only two brain cells left, and thay are
constantley fighting!!

TAKE CARE
Sheriff Dudley
S.A.S.S. #17925

Pilgrim said:
JonJ said:
The reason I'm selling is mine is I figure I won't ever own a 1917.

DON'T SAY THAT ! You might get to believing it. 1917's are not that expensive. Keep your eyes open and you'll get one.

"I NEED A 1917" Keep saying that over and over, especially as you lay your head on your pillow every night!
I wasn't overly concerned on the price of the 1917, I just never really "liked" them. That said, the more I look at them, they do spark an interest.
I suppose then I'll be looking for an original Kerr sling!

I just passed recently on a p14 and p17 out of the same collection being traded in and sold off cheap. I did grab the FN49's they were cheap over the prices we see now and SVT40-Tokarev($300) he had I guess i should of grabbed the 14 & 17 too? He did have a 91 arg. carbine i got too.

Nice rifle, i'm sure I handled it but lack of funds prevented me from buying it. That style is something i've been looking for to complete a void in my collection for a long time. I recently picked up a 1917 No1 Mk3 Enfield at the last Springfield show for only $200. Its mint and clean.

0024745b.jpg

90cd3cc5.jpg

Sorry for the dark pics, it was a few quickies with an old Mavica camera.

That is a very nice rifle. And the price is great, especially from a dealer. I was glad I was able to gauge the muzzle erosion for you. When I saw the rifle, I was one of those guys who asked "are you selling?"
Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

carnevale762 said:
That is a very nice rifle. And the price is great, especially from a dealer. I was glad I was able to gauge the muzzle erosion for you. When I saw the rifle, I was one of those guys who asked "are you selling?"
Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

Hey Chris, How the hell are you doing? Still living on the Island?

Chris, when I was heading out the front entrance, I saw you there looking over a M1917 that someone was selling privately, did ya buy it?

Mike

Very nice looking rifle. I had one just like it a few years ago. I'm still kicking myself in the arse for trading it for a Finn and cash. I've never seen another one locally in like condition.

Hey Jim! How the hell are you? John has been real lonely at the shows w/out you!
Yes, I am still living on Nantucket island... As long as I get off "the rock" frequently, I keep my sanity.
How is the barn and property? The Mrs.? Hope all is well Jim.

I did not buy that M17 I was looking at. He would not budge on the price.

The gauge is a C.M.P. Muzzle gauge, bought through the C.M.P.. Most gauges cost around 30.00, the CMP one $35.00. I opted for the C.M.P. one because of online reviews of it and, well heck, they deal mostly with .30 cal. firearms. I am very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom