Found moisture in 50cal can, almost 200 rounds of ZQI appears wasted, pour one out for the homies

No water leak in the storage area. Steel Brass cased rounds. This can was the second up from the bottom. No visible signs of can damage, seal looks good except the nasties growing in it now. Can above and below it are fine.

Going to be a long day popping through all the rest of the cans to see if there was any other loss. I think this might have been the only steel cased I have.

Proper way to dispose of these? I'm not putting them through my rifles. Hell, most of them are 'stuck' to each other at this point.

/edit to correct to brass case, show individual round which seems typical of the box I was able to pull out.

Attachments

• 20230319_113928.jpg
    20230319_113928.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 266
  • 20230319_120543.jpg
    20230319_120543.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Back in Nam, we used to have a conex filled with ammo and grenades that looked like that!
You spend 3 or 4weeks in the jungle on patrol, and when you get back from a mission you just threw it in the convex, and got fresh stuff when you go back out.
Every few months we would empty the convex and blow it all up in a big pit outside the wire.
I know I destroyed more ammo than I used in combat back in 71.

The funniest part of that is that I actually remember my friends and I doing that sometime around like 1980 or something and thinking how genius is it was. “Wow!! It’s the future mannn. Duuuude!” lol
I remember my dad showing it to me. As a Freshman I was showing all my buddies in Algebra class.

That resulted in a detention.

Don't tumble. Powder's burn speed is controlled by grain size and, at least for stick powder, a retardant coating. Tumbling is likely to make it a faster burning powder.
Are you implying that dry tumbling the loaded rounds would remove retardant coating from the stick powder inside the case?

Edit: Did some reading. Seems to be largely debunked unless you were to tumble for several days, then maybe.

Side note: I had unsafe results with ZQI pistol ammo. I wouldnt shoot any of their shit if it was freshly loaded, let alone corroded.

Last edited:
You have a battle rifle with a nice wet sloppy chamber? I would dip a scotch brite pad in simple green and see how much I can scrub off. I bet it still works fine. Maybe the corrosion makes the round fit tighter and more accurate.

The funniest part of that is that I actually remember my friends and I doing that sometime around like 1980 or something and thinking how genius is it was. “Wow!! It’s the future mannn. Duuuude!” lol
in 1973 I had a TI SR-10 calculator, I got it on sale at Jordan Marsh for $69.95 plus tax, on sale from $74.95!

You could spell a lot of dirty words on it.

No water leak in the storage area. Steel Brass cased rounds. This can was the second up from the bottom. No visible signs of can damage, seal looks good except the nasties growing in it now. Can above and below it are fine.

Going to be a long day popping through all the rest of the cans to see if there was any other loss. I think this might have been the only steel cased I have.

Proper way to dispose of these? I'm not putting them through my rifles. Hell, most of them are 'stuck' to each other at this point.

/edit to correct to brass case, show individual round which seems typical of the box I was able to pull out.
the only dangerous thing there is a black mold on the carton boxes. ammo canbe wiped clean and used as many others suggested.
for the future - those do not leak and do not let water in.
Amazon product ASIN B07C58YH4MView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C58YH4M

in 1973 I had a TI SR-10 calculator, I got it on sale at Jordan Marsh for $69.95 plus tax, on sale from $74.95!

You could spell a lot of dirty words on it.

I remember a kid in highschool charging $10 to load basic games onto people's TI-83+. Thank god TI's monopoly on on graphing calculators is broken with simple calculator app's now. f*** texas instruments.

I remember a kid in highschool charging $10 to load basic games onto people's TI-83+. Thank god TI's monopoly on on graphing calculators is broken with simple calculator app's now. f*** texas instruments.
Is it?

Last I heard, you still can't use a calculator with a QWERTY keyboard on the SATs. I doubt they'll let you use one with an internet connection.

Tumble all that ammo in a vibratory tumbler and some fresh walnut media for a few hours, it will be fine to shoot.

Your rifle isn't a silk purse.

General consensus is shoot it. Who am I to go against the herd?

OK. How to clean it up?

Dry tumble seems popular. Till it's not, and then it is. So dry tumble? I'd need to buy one. Not an issue. Suggestions welcome.

Scrubbing with a brass brush sounds similar to cleaning shit out of my shoes in that I'm likely to wind up with crap on my face. If tumbling really is an issue though, I'll just shower after.

Not sure how the moisture wound up in the can. Seems to be much more than what may have been in the cardboard. This particular group was purchased from a Walmart so not exactly a wet location, had been held in a 'holding' location for a bit as I ran out of cans, and showed no signs of issue when shooting prior to storage. Seriously, probably a quarter to half cup of water overall in that can. No idea where it came from.

General consensus is shoot it. Who am I to go against the herd?

OK. How to clean it up?

Dry tumble seems popular. Till it's not, and then it is. So dry tumble? I'd need to buy one. Not an issue. Suggestions welcome.

Scrubbing with a brass brush sounds similar to cleaning shit out of my shoes in that I'm likely to wind up with crap on my face. If tumbling really is an issue though, I'll just shower after.

Not sure how the moisture wound up in the can. Seems to be much more than what may have been in the cardboard. This particular group was purchased from a Walmart so not exactly a wet location, had been held in a 'holding' location for a bit as I ran out of cans, and showed no signs of issue when shooting prior to storage. Seriously, probably a quarter to half cup of water overall in that can. No idea where it came from.
Tumbling is not an issue sir…I tumble finished ammo sometimes to get lube off it or to clean stuff that looks like the pictures you posted. The brass is tarnished, but it’s still plenty reloadable. If you want to sell it when you’re done with it and you’re willing to ship it to me, let me know…I have some ‘art projects’ in mind for interior decorating at the MGTOW ranch here in Kentucky.

Back
Top Bottom