• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Found another Webley...

Picton

NES Member
So I've found that the problem with collecting Webleys is that each one makes you want a new one, normally a model you wouldn't have looked at twice in the past. My Mk IV.38 was, I thought, all I would want; as soon as I got it, though, I just had to have a .455. Just one. So I got my uncut Mk VI. Then, after a year or so, I just had to have a birdshead. Now, I've got a hankering for one of Webley's ugly semiautos.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's a pic of my pair of WWI brothers: my 1916 Mk VI and the 1915 Mk V I picked up today.

The Mk V is the rarest of the big-bore Webleys; just 20,000 were made, and every one I've ever seen is shaved to take .45 moon clips. I prefer unshaved, but this was a great deal so I jumped. Besides, I can swap out cylinders with my Mk VI; the only real difference between the Boer War Mk IV and the Mk V was an enlarged cylinder, to Mk VI dimensions.

I suspect an arsenal refin, but it's so beautiful and the balance is so fine I don't mind. Just like every other Webley I've ever handled, the ergonomics line the sights right up for my eye. I've laid in a supply of moon clips and 300 new 265 grainers to stick into .45 ACP cases at my pet Webley charge of 3.1 gr of Bullseye, so we'll see how she handles after the weekend.

Enjoy!

I love the Webleys. Nice looking group photo. I was just shooting my Mk. VI yesterday as I have finally worked upped a 45 Auto Rim load since mine is shaved. The Mk VI I really liked shooting.

Getting out to the range soonish; all my evenings have been packed lately.

Completely forgot to post this: I got out and did some load workups last weekend. My club only lets us shoot at 15 meters, so the 4-5 inch group below isn't all that awful for a 100-year-old top break with a sketchy bore. Ran through a few cylinders' worth of Bullseye and Unique loads and came up with 4.0 grains Unique as the best loading.

I've noticed before that Webleys always shoot high; I was aiming center of mass, and every load wound up in the head/neck region. Same went for my Mk VI with 3.4 grains of Bullseye. I never thought to ask before, but does anyone know why Webley .455 are regulated so low?

Anyway. I'll be enjoying this one, that's for sure.

I've noticed before that Webleys always shoot high; I was aiming center of mass, and every load wound up in the head/neck region. Same went for my Mk VI with 3.4 grains of Bullseye. I never thought to ask before, but does anyone know why Webley .455 are regulated so low?

Next time you have the chance to shoot at 25 to 30 yards, try more of a 6hold than a COM and see where that puts you. I've got several handguns that will shoot high if I aim COM at a relatively close distance of 15 yards. In fact my Beretta 87 hits pretty much perfectly POA at 50 yards, oddly enough.

Nice Webs by the way. :)

This post inspired me so I dug out my old Webley Pryse and hit the range this last weekend. At 25 feet it shoots about 4" high. I put an 8" Shoot N C on the target with a 6hold and shot the center out of the target. Just one big hole. That is with a 265 gr hollow base bullet and 18 grs of 3F black. That old Webley shoots way better then I do and will match any of my newer handguns. It got a lot of attention from the other shooters as it belched flame and smoke with a roar and chewed out the center of the target. I then did an informal competition on the plate rack against a M&P and Sig 9mm. Beat out both of them. In it's day the Webley was the king of military handguns IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom