• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Found: Affordable Gun Storage

Just thought I would share my recent experience with purchasing a Stack On 8 gun storage cabinet. I have spent the last few days trying to find an affordable way to safely/securely store two rifles and two pistols. My budget at this time is around $200. Not much I know I found some really beautiful safes for 700-1000 dollars. But I decided to purchase this steel locker (free shipping):

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-GCB-...TD4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331259791&sr=8-1

Arrived in mint condition. I just finished putting it together and I am really impressed with the quality and strength of this product. Took 30min of easy labor and its solid. Took 5min to bolt it to studs in four places. All hardware came with it and all holes predrilled. Holds the firearms really nicely. The shelf inside the cabinet holds magazines and holsters easily. The locking system has 3 points and looks secure. I can see 6 guns but 8 would be TIGHT.

If your looking to get guns out of your closets, drawers, old lockers and locked cases and a little peace of mind that's easily bolted to a wall while your not home give this a shot. There is also a pistol/ammo cabinet you can get to bolt on top of the cabinet:

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-GCB-500-Steel-Pistol-Cabinet/dp/B002TOKR2G/ref=pd_sim_hi_5

Hope this helps anyone mulling upgrading their firearm storage.

Peter

I have one of these. Gets the job done, certainly. Careful with the lock, though, not quite as "secure" as one would think. I ended up replacing the lock with a bolt and hasp, both with padlocks for a little more security.

glad to hear its good. i have a safe but am thinking about doing one of these for ammo and supplies to make more room for guns & to get it out of the same safe in case there is ever a situation. how tough would it be to seal this thing up (airtight) and maybe throw in a layer of fire rated sheetrock? thats what i am considering...

joshh,

i don't think it would be difficult to upgrade the inside of the cabinet but it would be a little tight. It would hold a lot of ammo and shooting supplies especially if you put some shelves in.

Thanks for the advice I think I will pick that up @ Home Depot tomorrow

walmart online has them also, just to possibly save you some green, I'm not sure on cost but it's where I got mine. Had it delivered to the closest store, picked it up. easy.

I put more locks on mine as well... Still nowhere near safe security, but it will take some time and be noisy as hell to get into.

joshh,

i don't think it would be difficult to upgrade the inside of the cabinet but it would be a little tight. It would hold a lot of ammo and shooting supplies especially if you put some shelves in.

Nice, thanks. Id shelve it just for ammo and supplies but would like to do at least one layer of fire rated sheetrock and seal it up.

glad to hear its good. i have a safe but am thinking about doing one of these for ammo and supplies to make more room for guns & to get it out of the same safe in case there is ever a situation. how tough would it be to seal this thing up (airtight) and maybe throw in a layer of fire rated sheetrock? thats what i am considering...

I would do the fire rated sheetrock on the outside, not the interior. You could actually encase 3 sides of the cabinet with a structure of 2x3's, insulation, and then sheetrock, which would not only help to insulate it from heat, but also add an extra bit of difficulty for theft.

I have one of these i needed a safe on short notice when I moved in with my now wife and 2 kids. It gets the job done but I'm pretty sure I could break into it with a screw driver. I am saving for a real safe and plan to use this as a ammo locker

I have one of these. Gets the job done, certainly. Careful with the lock, though, not quite as "secure" as one would think. I ended up replacing the lock with a bolt and hasp, both with padlocks for a little more security.

I put hasps on both of my cabinets. The OEM locks just didn't seem strong enough.

Thanks to the OP, I've been looking for one of those accessory cabinets. I should have thought of Amazon first.

Here's what I have in my apartment bedroom closet from Stack-On:

zilzjr.jpg

9880wh.jpg

I have since threw some Electrical Hazard Warning stickers on it. It looks like a identical to a circuit breaker with or without the stickers. It does the job well and I'm happy with the quality. I think I only paid about $80 for it with shipping at Walmart.

I would do the fire rated sheetrock on the outside, not the interior. You could actually encase 3 sides of the cabinet with a structure of 2x3's, insulation, and then sheetrock, which would not only help to insulate it from heat, but also add an extra bit of difficulty for theft.

Regular fibreglass insulation won't do jack for a fire. Use rock wool instead, good up to 2100 degrees or something crazy like that.

When I maxed out my safe I bought the two door Stack On cabinet for ammo and my cheaper rifles. Its not impenetrable, but there's nothing but 22s and cheap milsurps inside. I love the 2nd cabinet - it's perfect storage for ammo and reloading components.

I had a few guns left to me by my FIL. I got a very similar locker style "safe" for about the same price from WallyWorld.. Shipped to my door.

It's good to start with because it keeps costs down. Once I outgrew it, I bought another safe and turned the stack on cabinet into dedicated ammo storage. I mounted some shelving tracks on the inside and put about 3 or 4 shelves in. It works great.

I have the 18-gun version of this cabinet - exact same design just more roomy with shelves etc. They work great for the price.

Is there anything wrong with making something out of plywood, angle iron, hinges and hasps? I was thinking of doing this to make something custom sized to fit in a certain space. I don't really care about the fireproof part of it, or the total security, just the letter of the law.

Is there anything wrong with making something out of plywood, angle iron, hinges and hasps? I was thinking of doing this to make something custom sized to fit in a certain space. I don't really care about the fireproof part of it, or the total security, just the letter of the law.
It would probably be just as secure. Those cheap Stackon units are more of a locker than a safe. They are perfect for keeping the kids and others out but they wont hold up to someone who really wants to get in. A screw driver and a few seconds is all it would take.
I am considering one for ammo but I dont think I would trust it to secure firearms

That, or some used kitchen cabinets off Craig's List, with a cable lock going through a 3/4" hole drilled in both doors.

Good tip. I have been saying I'm going to get a safe for a while but funds have not cooperated and the current system of locked cases and ammo boxes is too much of a pain in the ass.

I picked up one of these last week. Do you guys still lock up the firearms inside? I have been adding cable locks to the contents because the lock doesn't seem very hard to bust open.

Had money set aside for a gun safe rather than a cabinet, but i stopped in at four seasons for ammo and left with way more than ammo.

Last edited:
Would a homemade wood cabinet meet state law? I just want to meet legal requirements and to keep the kids out. I'm not worried about theft or fire.

Would a homemade wood cabinet meet state law? I just want to meet legal requirements and to keep the kids out. I'm not worried about theft or fire.

I think there was a thread or two on a case where someone got busted for improper storage after using a wood cabinet and their kid (IIRC) got into it and used the gun(s).

I think there was a thread or two on a case where someone got busted for improper storage after using a wood cabinet and their kid (IIRC) got into it and used the gun(s).

I believe you're referring to Jupin v. Kask, a civil case, in which the construction of the cabinet was not a determinative factor.

Back
Top Bottom