• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fot you viewing pleasure. Vintage Dot Sight

I found this at my grandmothers house. It was my grandfathers sight. He past away when I was real little and to my dissapointment all his guns were sold a long time ago, my grandmother couldent tell me what he had. Anyways Its a nydar shotgun reflex dot sight, It has an outer ring with a smaller dot in the middle, kinda like a eotech.
Made by Swain Nelson in glenview ILL I guess its technology was taken from ww2 aircraft bombing sights or something like that. But thats all I know about it.

Thought you all might want to see this thing, anyone know more about it?

It was manufactured in the 1940's and was a spin off of the type sights that were in WWII fighter aircraft. That's a piece of history you got there bud. VERY cutting edge tech for the time. A valuable piece of firearm history. Valuable from the sense that you won't find many of them and it is unusual. The technology is equivalent to a $30 airsoft red dot today. Back then it was something! I'd hang on to it just for the conversation it will bring when you show it to someone. Nice historical find.

Last edited:
Definitely hang on to it. If for some reason you want to get rid of it either ask a museum or someone here will buy it.

no...put it somewhere safe and have it appraised by someone well versed in vintage optics. Its potentially worth money!

It's worth about $30. It's interesting 1940's tech and that's about it. I would keep it because of the conversation value. If you think it's worth more than that you're fooling yourself. I have seen them at gun shows selling for "make me an offer". They are not that rare. BUT they are a great piece of firearms history and a great conversation piece.

Back
Top Bottom