Foster Parents

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
I've heard nightmare stories like this before.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/12/caged.children/index.html

Does anyone know if the state can make random checks on a foster home? I guess every state is different, but I'm sure there are some crazys out there and all they have to do is fill out some paper work and the state will give them kids.

I would think that would be expected if you wanted to be a foster parent. It just amazes me what these kids had to go through. :x

From what I've seen reported in the past, it doesn't surprise or amaze me. It does get me mad. The perp's that did that should be locked up by the Vietnamese for a while, in small bamboo cages.

We had foster kids back in the 70's, a 5 yr old girl and her 3 year old brother.

The mother's 'boyfriend' kept beating the boy and eventually broke his shoulder. Mom never said or did a thing to prevent it. I never met the bustard and it's a good thing for him I didn't.

We were providing day care at the time and called the state protective services. The state removed the kids from the home and awarded them to us. They joined my 2 boys and we had a great family together, until the mother threw the bum out, underwent state mandated psycho treatment and got the kids back. When they left I felt as if 2 of my kids had died. That was so hard to see them go. They both never had the life were could have provided, but they never forgot us. We were Mommy and Daddy.

They are both grown and keep in touch. The girl married, has kids of her own and has taken in her own foster kids. We see then all once or twice a year.

She said she needs to continue the tradition as we made such a difference in her life. She was paying us back by making a difference in some other kids lives.

I still get misty when I think of her and her brother.

Foster care does work - sometimes - probably more often than not.

And yes, they do make random inspections. Probably not as often as needed though.

Thanks for sharing that Story Pilgrim. I'm glad you keep in touch with the two children your family helped. :D

If anyone wants to read a true story about the foster system after a horrific case of abuse, you should check out the books by Dave Pelzer. His first was "A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive" and his follow-ups. Tells about how he was abused by his mother then sent into foster care, and of course the mismatch of folks that he was placed with. This is a great book but be warned a VERY hard read. I still get choked up talking about it and thinking back to the things this poor child endured...

Adam

Back
Top Bottom