• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Forward Assist

So I'm sitting here wondering, Why do they still put forward assists (FA) on AR variants?

Everyone I've ever talked to, military and other LE, tells me that the FA was to seat a round that didn't feed correctly. Those same people add that there is a good chance of the gun jamming on the round fed that way.

My training is to tap and rack on a misfire, not to FA and attempt to fire again. The only time I've ever used the FA is when I chambered a round in a covert situation. Sound carries a long way in the desert at night.

So my question is, how many of you have had a round not feed, used the FA and was there a problem after the round fired. Not a scientific study by any means, but personal experience.

Discuss...

I tap it out of habit every time I chamber a round.

I have used it while training in extreme cold temps. At Camp Ripley we would shoot when it was below zero often and if there was a little too much lube on the bolt it wouldn't always go forward all the way without a tap on the FA. Once you started shooting it would heat up the excess lube and you would be fine.

I tap it out of habit every time I chamber a round.

I have used it while training in extreme cold temps. At Camp Ripley we would shoot when it was below zero often and if there was a little too much lube on the bolt it wouldn't always go forward all the way without a tap on the FA. Once you started shooting it would heat up the excess lube and you would be fine.
That's becuase the military loves to douse their weapons in CLP. I'll use two small drops into the bolt and I'll wipe the bolt with a CLP rag and place a drop behind the bolt in the reciever. I love it when I see a rifle that leaks CLP out the back of the reciever by the butt stock because it's always the person who tends to have the most jams after a hundred or so dirty military rounds.

I was never trained to use the FA for immediate action, just "tap, rack, bang". The only time I ever used the FA was after doing a brass check on the range for qual. Pulling the bolt back just the small amount needed for a brass check (verifying that you did actually chamber a round) doesn't always load the buffer spring enough to send the bolt fully forward again.

I've used it on occasion when the bolt did not close with the correct "chink" sound.

As Jack said, I also give it a push before taking a long shot just to be sure.

What is the procedure for removing a "stuck" live round? I have had issues with sized brass jamming and I need force on charging handle to clear.

That's becuase the military loves to douse their weapons in CLP. I'll use two small drops into the bolt and I'll wipe the bolt with a CLP rag and place a drop behind the bolt in the reciever. I love it when I see a rifle that leaks CLP out the back of the reciever by the butt stock because it's always the person who tends to have the most jams after a hundred or so dirty military rounds.

Or maybe the Armorer tells the platoon that all bolts will be lubed completely before taking them in to the armory.

I've never had to use the FA on my Colt. Only case I can think of is if I did a short brass check like what Ochmude describes. Otherwise, a slingshot or
loading a fresh mag has worked right, every time. Even when the gun has 500+ rounds of gunk in it.

Then again I've never used my Colt in the desert or in sub 35F temps
either, so in that regard I'm probably not a very good statistical sample. [laugh]

-Mike

What is the procedure for removing a "stuck" live round? I have had issues with sized brass jamming and I need force on charging handle to clear.

I wonder if they make some kind of a case checker for .223/5.56, that you could drop a finished round into, to see if it passes. I think I'd rather have
the cartridge get stuck in the case checker than in the rifle. [grin]

-Mike

I jammed my AR on a round and banged it to seat it properly... I had to bang one of them multiple times to get it seated, but it sat and I was able to shoot the round off (it was jammed that I couldn't even pull the bolt back).

I wonder if they make some kind of a case checker for .223/5.56, that you could drop a finished round into, to see if it passes. I think I'd rather have

-Mike

I have the gauge but my dies needed to get reworked by manufacturer. They all fit the gauge throughout the reloading process. I check my mil brass after decap/sizing, swaging, and final inspection.

S.P.O.R.T.S.

Been 25 years and I still remember S.P.O.R.T.S.

Slap the magazine
Pull back the charging handle
Observe for any ejected brass
Release the charging handle
Tap the forward assist
Shoot

I still instinctively tap the FA and never had any problems.
If you have to repeatedly hit the FA, odds are the ammo is all out of spec or your rifle is extremely dirty.

-Mike

Yes, it's called a "cartridge case gage"

So I'm sitting here wondering, Why do they still put forward assists (FA) on AR variants?

Everyone I've ever talked to, military and other LE, tells me that the FA was to seat a round that didn't feed correctly. Those same people add that there is a good chance of the gun jamming on the round fed that way.

My training is to tap and rack on a misfire, not to FA and attempt to fire again. The only time I've ever used the FA is when I chambered a round in a covert situation. Sound carries a long way in the desert at night.

So my question is, how many of you have had a round not feed, used the FA and was there a problem after the round fired. Not a scientific study by any means, but personal experience.

Discuss...

When I was in the Marines, I found the FA to be extremely useful once the gun became heavily fouled or dirty through extensive shooting. In one field exercise, I was up to the 600rd mark when I noticed that periodically, the rounds would fail to chamber correctly. In a situation where there is no time to field strip or even put a dab of oil on the bolt, the FA comes in very handy. I'm a believer.

Interesting reading, I never thought about a press check on a M4. Makes sense though.

I guess old habits die hard on teaching procedures.

I have to admit to tapping it waiting for action though.

Back
Top Bottom