Forum Transition FAQ / Guide

sHORTY

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
I'll be updating this thread as time permits, and people make suggestions - please use the Tech Support Forum for help, but if you have suggestions on things to add here, feel free to post below.

First off, some of the new features of the forum include:
  • It's not 10 year old, bug ridden, never updated software
  • Full SSL (HTTPS) support
  • Fully responsive, mobile-friendly design
  • Greatly improved search function (try it!)
  • Real-time notifications about a number of things (if you're replying to a post and someone else posts, you'll get notified, etc.)
  • Two-Factor authentication is now available
  • Many, many more things - explore and find them yourself!

Some of the most Frequently Asked Questions

PMs: How do I Private Message someone?
These are now called "Conversations". They are still completely private. You can have group PMs now by inviting additional users, and they function similarly to a thread or a text message on your phone.

Click on any user's Avatar and choose "Start a Conversation"
upload_2017-12-2_21-25-18.png

Note some options at the bottom - if you don't want the other person(s) to invite other people, check the appropriate box.

upload_2017-12-2_21-25-59.png

PMs: How do I delete a Private Message?

There are no longer limitations on PM storage. If you want to close a conversation to replies, you can do so like so:
upload_2017-12-2_21-43-11.png
There will be a couple of options here for you to decide how you want to handle the conversation, choose appropriately.

Two ways - you can simply Copy/Paste an image directly into the text box now. If you want to insert a thumbnail instead afterwards, check below your post for something similar to this:
upload_2017-12-2_21-28-31.png
You can also use the "Upload a File" button directly below the text box.

Tapatalk: It's dead. We're working on another solution.

Forums: How do I mark a single forum as read?
upload_2017-12-2_21-30-29.png

Forums: Where are my subscribed threads?

These are now called "Watched Threads" and you can find them on the top navigation bar, right next to "Watched Forums"
upload_2017-12-2_21-32-3.png
By default, the page you are brought to will only display watched threads WITH NEW POSTS. There is a link to view all watched threads, if you so desire, at the bottom of the list.

Forums: How do I go to the beginning of a thread? How do I tell if a thread has new posts?
Click on the timestamp underneath the thread to go to the beginning. Click on the text of the thread and you'll be brought to the newest post. The dot on the left indicates new posts have been made since your last visit.
upload_2017-12-2_21-34-49.png

Forums: How do I tell if I've participated in a thread?
A small version of your avatar will be displayed in the corner of the post, such as this:
upload_2017-12-2_21-36-40.png

Forums: How do I change the number of Forums/Posts per page?
This is no longer a configurable option. We've raised the default to 30 posts per page as a compromise.

Forums: How do I find my Posts / Threads?
Top right corner, hover over your name, "Your Content" contains... all of your content. (You may have some different options than me, but the majority of this menu should be the same.
upload_2017-12-2_21-47-57.png

Forums: How do I see posts/threads from my Friends/People I follow?
Same menu as above, go to "Your News Feed"
upload_2017-12-2_21-48-57.png

Forums: How do I find all of someone else's posts?
Click on their avatar in any post, and click on the number next to "Messages"
upload_2017-12-2_21-51-53.png

iTrader: It's all back - you should have all of your feedback from the previous forum and all functionality has been restored.

They're coming back. You'll have more smilies than you know what to do with.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this together. I really like the new look and feel of the new forum. Features and functions are intuitive. With the old software it took me forever to simply figure out how to attach a photo to a post. " Copy image location" ???
Now, if you would just give Skysoldier 40,000 likes so he feels special, it will be all good.:)

Looks great I am getting the hang of it and think it will surpass the old forum. just take time. like a good whisky.

What's the deal on the mobile app mentioned on other threads?
I don't see this as a "mobile friendly" web page. Yes it changes with the small screen, but that's hardly friendly. The buttons are tiny and mobile navigation is more difficult than Tapatalk was. Mobile navigation seems to require constant zooming in and out, that's not friendly either.

I know, everyone hates change.............I do but think this new format is great. It just takes some getting used to. I appreciate the good work here!!!!!

Is the cool patriotic NES logo with the eagle coming back? How about the background, any chance we can get better contrasting colors, maybe like the red white and blue of the old forum? Sorry, I’m an old guy and I had just barely figured out the last forum now you change everything on me? It’s a little rough for us old non-computer savvy people.

Great FAQ! Thank you for doing this.

Can you add anything about the disappearance of the emojis? Are there plans to add/restore/replace them?

Can you add anything about the disappearance of the emojis? Are there plans to add/restore/replace them?

Work in progress. They're in the queue, just need to get some time to add them. I'll add that to the top.

sHORTy, will the "report post" capability return? For those that knew to use it, how and when to use it, it seemed to work well.
The forum is coming along very nicely. Thanks.
Matt

sHORTy, will the "report post" capability return? For those that knew to use it, how and when to use it, it seemed to work well.
The forum is coming along very nicely. Thanks.
Matt

Can you not see the report button?
upload_2017-12-4_10-45-39.png

Is there anywhere uploaded photos live? Or are they simply attached to a post now?

Can you elaborate on what you mean, or rather what you're trying to accomplish? Each user no longer has a pool of attachments, so there's no more management of that required.

That there is magic! I swear I also saw iTrader red/yellow/green bubbles overnight. NEED sleep. Laughing emoji here.

You did see the iTrader bubbles. They're visible in all of the classified forums and on your homepage in the top right :)

Can you elaborate on what you mean, or rather what you're trying to accomplish? Each user no longer has a pool of attachments, so there's no more management of that required.

That pretty much answered the question: pool management was my primary concern. Secondary would be referencing something already uploaded in another post without having to re-upload it, but I'm guessing I can do that by duplicating the ATTACH tag? Lemme try it:

View attachment 214182

(Not an editorial comment - just most recent upload.)

stinkythebear-jpg.214182

Aha!

Last edited:
Is it possible to have a search option for my inbox/conversations? I liked that on the old forum but I'll admit I may be one of the few who actually used it.

I see you can sort/search the conversations by member but not by keywords etc.

Is it possible to have a search option for my inbox/conversations? I liked that on the old forum but I'll admit I may be one of the few who actually used it.

I see you can sort/search the conversations by member but not by keywords etc.

I think I have a solution for this, just need some time to implement it.

Back
Top Bottom