forum suggestions

In addition to adding a google search button up next to UserCP, FAQ, ..., I'd like to see the addition of maybe a few forums:

Gun Tech
Computer (and all other) Tech
Vehicles
Politics and Politicians (as opposed to laws)

Anyone else?

I like things the way they are. Compared to how the forum was at its inception there have been a lot of changes. I'd hate to see this forum become a cluttered waste of space a la Glock Talk. Keep it simple, local and fun. [wink]

For the topics you listed I think, like BJ points out, you can address those topics in already created forums. If you think there will be enough interest in a topic start a thread. If it takes off, ask somebody to turn it into a sticky. That's a good compromise, don't you think?

Yeah, but....

I am already sorting through a lot to find things. This forum has grown a lot.

I'd hate to see this forum become a cluttered waste of space a la Glock Talk.

Good point. There is so much overlap in those forums you never where stuff is. They're def the worst as far as organiztion goes. It's too organized. Folks inevitably start posting Off Topic stuff in wrong places. Like politics in 1911 forum etc.

I know they use diff forum software, but I recall they had some serious system performance issues because of all the top level forums.

I think things are working real well here. I've had no problems tracking down old threads or managing the info I want to keep track of.

There are a lot of threads here that may span multiple points of interest, let's not try to make a pigeon hole for every conceivable topic.

BTW, GT uses the same forum software as we do here, they just are using the 6-8 year old version! [rolleyes]

I have no idea why they didn't upgrade from V2.x.x. Ironically, I sent an Email to Eric (the owner of GT) asking why he's never upgraded. No response.

BTW, GT uses the same forum software as we do here, they just are using the 6-8 year old version! [rolleyes]

I have no idea why they didn't upgrade from V2.x.x. Ironically, I sent an Email to Eric (the owner of GT) asking why he's never upgraded. No response.

Updates are a good way to remain secure as well. I visit Glock Talk sometimes.

NES in my opinion, has it laid out perfectly right now.

Last edited:
Perhaps THIS POST as well as maybe some others should be moved into here then?

Since a Moderator started the thread, we will all sleep well knowing full well, he put it EXACTLY where he wants it.

Coyote33 said:
"There are no posts in this forum."

Pony up, and you can see them.

Coyote33 said:
I guess it is just me trying to be overhelpful. You are now free to stop reading this topic and go back to your daily business.

Best advice I have read today! [wink]

BTW, GT uses the same forum software as we do here, they just are using the 6-8 year old version!

Same software? I just assumed it was diff because it's such an old look and feel there. I don't know anything about forum software. I don't even know if it's expensive or not. Is it?

Froggie,

Yes, it's $160 per server (I assume) for licensing the software and some support features are as much as double that. See http://www.vbulletin.com/order/ for info.

GT is actually using V2.3.6 from 2001 (Copyright date of software). This shows up at the bottom of almost every page. It is a very old "feel" software. I see that one has to pay an annual fee for updates, that's probably why GT doesn't bother to update it.

We're using V3.6.0 from 2006 software.

Since a Moderator started the thread, we will all sleep well knowing full well, he put it EXACTLY where he wants it....

Which is in general area when just above here it said tech posts should go into the tech forum. So which way is it for real?

...Pony up, and you can see them....

Maybe the message should say something to that effect.

Glad to be of help. (-:

Since a Moderator started the thread, we will all sleep well knowing full well, he put it EXACTLY where he wants it.

Well, with all due respect, moderators are human, and if you're going to make rules, then even moderators should follow them. [thinking]

I've never thought just because I'm a moderator I know it all [wink]

At least one forum I know of has a mechanism for turning swear words into **** sort of thing. The trouble is people freekun get around it using variations. But at least it is an effort. I guess that is the site owner's call if they want kids to look at this forum or not. I'd say include kids without the main swear words and a "protective" title for adult themed threads. I don't know, it's a tough call there.

It is a tough call Coyote33. I don't think the swearing in here is any where close to a problem. And if it is the user is warned of the excessive use.

If a child is old enough to use a computer and browse a gun forum, that child has heard and said worse than what is in here.

Back
Top Bottom