Forum names

Just a thought.

Can the “General discussion” forum be renamed? Or “Off-topic”? Or both? Or maybe just create a current events forum.

Because any discussion worthy event almost always ends up with threads in both forums. Often times more than just one duplicate. I imagine mods are constantly having to lock or merge threads as a result.

Just a thought.

Can the “General discussion” forum be renamed? Or “Off-topic”? Or both? Or maybe just create a current events forum.

Because any discussion worthy event almost always ends up with threads in both forums. Often times more than just one duplicate. I imagine mods are constantly having to lock or merge threads as a result.
I 2nd this or something along these lines.

People navigate in other ways than just hitting "new posts"?
;)

Apparently. One of the reasons this came about was hitting "new posts" and seeing 3 threads on the same topic and 2 threads on the same different topic, all on the same page. About half were in General Discussion and half in Off-topic. I bet people just do a scan of one of those forums, and not seeing it, post the new threads. Half the time, either the original poster, or the duper, post in the wrong forum. That's why there are so many dupes.

Is a thread about a shooting a general firearms related discussion or totally off topic?

MN police shooting, off topic. (dupe in general discussion)
Maryland school shooting, off topic. (2 dupes in general discussion)

MA trooper negligent discharge, general discussion.
Florida school shooting, off topic. Second also active thread in general discussion.
Kansas swatting, general discussion.

There's clearly confusion.

i'm afraid dupes are a way of life on a lot of forums. it really doesn't bother me, i'm more aggravated by the dupe police with nothing better to do than to call out dupes. but that's just me. some thread titles could be better descriptive of the thread content. i myself am guilty of that with sometimes vague post titles really not indicating what's in the thread i just started. this of course leads to a dupe thread that inevitably will show up.

Duplicate threads will definitely happen, I'm just suggesting that the ambiguous names of General discussion and Off topic lead to many things being posted in both those forums. There are often active threads on the exact same thing in both forums. Nobody really knows which one to use when it comes to current event topics that involve a firearm in some manner. The General discussion description states it's for general FIREARM related discussion but there are a number of non-firearm related threads in it. There are also a number of threads in off-topic, that states it's for NON-firearm related discussions, that involve shootings, which tend to focus on the inevitable gun control debates they spawn.

It's a bit confusing. Duplicates happen that otherwise wouldn't. And if mods were to move all the probably misplaced threads, they'd never stop working.

In any case, it's just an idea. That's all. I can live with it as it is. [wink]

I don't think a lot of people realize "General Discussion" is meant for firearms stuff...a quick glance shows a thread about ambien and a thread about JavaScript developers near the topic. Both are certainly "off-topic."

Apparently Bozo the clown dying is a general firearms related discussion.
Only because adults can't follow very easy instructions.

Making them both one forum or similar names is like lowering the standards in school because there are morons who can't achieve B's or higher. I can't read every thread no do I see every thread. I move the ones I see when I see them. If NES was my full time job the GD would be cleaner. There are a handful of members here who consistently post non-gun related shit in GD.

Back
Top Bottom