• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fort Kent maine

just moved from Mass to Fort Kent

What is best gun club in the area ?

I shoot pistols and have an AR,308 and. 10/22

I also have a shotgun but have never tried trap or skeet

No advise for you but congratulations on the move.
Just looked up Ft Kent. That’s as far as you can go
without swapping countries. I bet there’s some great
moose hunting up there! Enjoy.

No advise for you but congratulations on the move.
Just looked up Ft Kent. That’s as far as you can go
without swapping countries. I bet there’s some great
moose hunting up there! Enjoy.

I see moose pretty regularly apparently they’re issuing more tags this year as well

just moved from Mass to Fort Kent

What is best gun club in the area ?

I shoot pistols and have an AR,308 and. 10/22

I also have a shotgun but have never tried trap or skeet

My wife is from Eagle Lake, her brother still lives in Eagle Lake and the kids go to school in Ft. Kent I believe. I will ask him about gun clubs but I don't think there are any, folks just go shoot in a sand pit or something. People usually just sight in the hunting rifle and call it good.

Wait to see the snow in winter!

No help to you other than buy a snowmobile. You have access to some of the best riding in the state at your back door, 5 months out of the year.

My wife is from Eagle Lake, her brother still lives in Eagle Lake and the kids go to school in Ft. Kent I believe. I will ask him about gun clubs but I don't think there are any, folks just go shoot in a sand pit or something. People usually just sight in the hunting rifle and call it good.

Wait to see the snow in winter!

Thank you

I’ve heard there is one in Frenchville/ st agatha as well as long lake but can’t find any info online about them and what the offer etc

I’m looking forward to snow I love to ski and will eventually get a sled

Before GPS, like 99 or 2000, I got sent up “to fort Kent “ to pick up a piece of equip. Uncle says I gotta leave at 3am cause “it’s a long ride”. Gave me a chicken scratch strip map and off I went in the 18 wheeler.

Pulled into the 24 hr rest stop in Lewiston to get a real map. Was like “what tf ?” Had no idea where it was

In Mid coat Maine, I'm closer to new York city than ft. Kent.
It's a great area: people, food, scenery, outdoors, etc.

In Mid coat Maine, I'm closer to new York city than ft. Kent.
It's a great area: people, food, scenery, outdoors, etc.

Alright, you got to help me the "food" aspect here, what food? Gas Stations that double as pizza places and also sell fry mix, that is about it up there, at that is my experience.

Alright, you got to help me the "food" aspect here, what food? Gas Stations that double as pizza places and also sell fry mix, that is about it up there, at that is my experience.
Well, it's not pinky finger Champaign country, but I guess you never a availed yourself of any authentic French cuisine in your travels there. Not white tablecloth French, but "Valley French".

I guess you never a availed yourself of any authentic French cuisine in your travels there. Not white tablecloth French, but "Valley French".

[rofl][rofl]Never that lucky, gas station pizza in Eagle Lake has been my experience so far unfortunately. I will ask the next time we are up there. Maybe something in Ft. Kent that the BIL is aware of

I do business with some guys in Fort Kent occasionally, but enough to be friendly and ask about life in Fort Kent. The guys I know run a small cedar mill called Can-Am Cedar, and I know a few guys that drive for Chamberlain trucking.

As far as target shooting, you really can just hop in your four wheel drive vehicle and head into the woods. Use some common sense and Google earth and make sure there isn't a hunting/ fishing shack down range, and no one will bother you. A lot of people hunt and fish, but there are more deer in Massachusetts. Moose and bear however are pretty abundant and the fishing is good.
There are basically two seasons. Snow and Mud season. When the snow melts ,at times, the black flies can be pretty bad. In winter months, the groomed snow mobile trails are some of the best in the world. You can travel hundreds of miles on pristine trails.

[rofl][rofl]Never that lucky, gas station pizza in Eagle Lake has been my experience so far unfortunately. I will ask the next time we are up there. Maybe something in Ft. Kent that the BIL is aware of
Well, Eagle Lake is kind of a dead zone as far as amenities. We've snowmobiled out of the Overlook countless times. The only restaurant was The Tamarac (we called it Tammy's Rack) and it weren't the best. Go to any mom and pop restaurant anywhere from Van Buren to Allagash and order ployes, poutine, or of they have it, tourtiere.

Back
Top Bottom