Form letter to send to Chiefs when you move?

Hey NES,
Is there a standard form letter for what you have to send to the chiefs of police and the state troopers when you move? It would be nice to just fill in the two addresses and my name and send it off.

And its $6 to mail the damn thing! Complete bullshit. I have to drive past the damn police station in order to to the post office.

Why?

$1.47 ?
The why: Because that's what the law says (specifies certified mail)

The cost, not sure what the breakdown is but certified mail, with return receipt always costs me about $6 per envelope when I do this. (Just did it for my wife and I moving so that was $6x6 so not cheap.)

https://www.certifiedmaillabels.com/usps-postal-rates/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The why: Because that's what the law says (specifies certified mail)

The cost, not sure what the breakdown is but certified mail, with return receipt always costs me about $6 per envelope when I do this. (Just did it for my wife and I moving so that was $6x6 so not cheap.)

https://www.certifiedmaillabels.com/usps-postal-rates/

I was unaware it required certified mail. Thought it was some sort of cover your ass thing.

I was unaware it required certified mail. Thought it was some sort of cover your ass thing.
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129B

Section 11

My first level source was "Len posted it so it must be true" but harder to link to verify that.
6be04e501c690d50eb1567de894e79c6.jpg

And its $6 to mail the damn thing! Complete bullshit. I have to drive past the damn police station in order to to the post office.

It was like $3.50 when I did it a few days ago. Are you requesting a return receipt? Seems unnecessary and isn't required.

What if you are moving out of state do you still have to send one to the "new town"? In this case NH?

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/firearms-forms-and-applications.html

Download and print Change of Address form. Send it certified mail. 1 to old town, 1 to new town, 1 to FRB within 30 days

No form is required, read the law posted in the thread.

You don't notify "old town" but you do notify town that issued it (could be a different town).

Do as you please but the law requires certified mail ONLY. Non compliance could cost you your LTC even though logically you are 100% right.

It was like $3.50 when I did it a few days ago. Are you requesting a return receipt? Seems unnecessary and isn't required.

PDs have a habit of "forgetting" things and if they "forget" you notified you can be denied renewal or suspended/revoked. What is that worth to you? A decision only you can make to have or not have proof that you complied with the law . . . just in case . . .

What if you are moving out of state do you still have to send one to the "new town"? In this case NH?

No, in that case only notify FRB and town that issued it.

Multiple branches of this state government have tried to **** me so many times over I want proof they received it. I have been chased down for taxes that were not owed to them and they sent a debt collector after me for unpaid fines that I was never the recipient of. I do not trust this state worth a damn, Especially when it comes to my guns... they could simply say "we never received your change of address and you failed to notify us so we aren't going to renew you" well worth the $3 to prevent the strong likely hood of a huge headache.

Do as you please but the law requires certified mail ONLY. Non compliance could cost you your LTC even though logically you are 100% right.

PDs have a habit of "forgetting" things and if they "forget" you notified you can be denied renewal or suspended/revoked. What is that worth to you? A decision only you can make to have or not have proof that you complied with the law . . . just in case . . .

Exactly why I mailed it certified with the return receipt. Ill pay the couple bucks for proof they got the mail.

I wouldn't find in necessary, there are no permits in NH anymore to "comply" with. As long as you are not a prohibited person they will not care

Just sent mine out, ended up sending 4 just in case (got my license in one town, moved to a second one, moved to a third one)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just sent mine out, ended up sending 4 just in case (got my license in one town, moved to a second one, moved to a third one)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Haha CYA. I did the opposite. I moved back to where I had my license issued so technically I only would need to send 2 (state and issuing/new town) but I also mailed where I was moving from because I felt like an unreqired CYA was in order in this state.

I wouldn't find in necessary, there are no permits in NH anymore to "comply" with. As long as you are not a prohibited person they will not care

It will be "required" if you ever decide to apply for a MA non-res permit or move back to MA.

It will be "required" if you ever decide to apply for a MA non-res permit or move back to MA.

And since MA BFS instructors are REQUIRED to have a valid MA LTC (Res or NR) at all times to make their certs given to students valid, some of us are stuck with paying $100/yr to the state even if we do escape.

Its ridiculous that this all is done via paper and mail.
They don't see to have a problem to receive taxes online. You know. Which creates instant proof, some sort of incident or receipt number, a print page out for your records, etc.
nah F that it would make it too easy.

11 years ago I moved within the same city I never sent any letter to anyone. When I went for my renewal the officer in charge was all pissed that I changed address without doing this. There were zero consequences to it though other than him having to do some extra typing to change my info.

11 years ago I moved within the same city I never sent any letter to anyone. When I went for my renewal the officer in charge was all pissed that I changed address without doing this. There were zero consequences to it though other than him having to do some extra typing to change my info.

He could have denied you, legally. Matters not if you move out of town or within the same town . . . the law is clear about what you must do to protect your "privilege" to obtain/keep a LTC/FID in MA!

He could have denied you, legally. Matters not if you move out of town or within the same town . . . the law is clear about what you must do to protect your "privilege" to obtain/keep a LTC/FID in MA!

In all honesty I'm surprised he didn't do something like that.. this guy was a real dick who acted like he was the police chief. Glad he's gone now things are so much easier

Back
Top Bottom