form 20 question

413dan

NES Member
want to submit my first form 20, but as these people are known to reject forms, and least form 1's for simple mistakes I want to make sure I get this right.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/atf-f-5320-20pdf-0/download

the link from the .gov to the form 20. my question is probably just simple human error, but if it's not I don't want the form being sent back and delaying the process any further than necessary. so to those who've submitted these before, my question is with the question numbers 6 & 7. they ask for your start and ending location. probably just an accident but question 6 says (countRy), and 7 says (county). Im figuring as it's an interstate traveling form they mean county not country, but before I mail it, can anyone confirm. my gut says county, but who the hell knows maybe they actually want country on one and county on the other.

thanks cheers, happy and safe shooting

I never noticed that.... if you fill out the box that says county with the county your good to go.
I did not list a country.

Form 20 is the only form i got right the first time.. be sure to fill it out for the entire year.
Ive been procrastinating on mine this year and was considering starting a reminder thread.

- - - Updated - - -

If its for the nes shoots, the county is hillsborough

In my approved twenty question 6 and 7 transporting from/transporting to it say country in both, but the corresponding boxes to fill out list county... i think its justba screw up...im using the revised 2003 version..
You don't even need the form you could use a hand written request...but the forms probibly the best way to go.

didn't realize you didn't need the form, just a written request. interesting, probably easier to just use their form since I already have it. thanks for the info. and yea it's for nes stuff at monadnock, already found hillsborough on a google search lol. betting it's just a typo, we're all human. but as I said and you mentioned, it's nice to get the forms right the first time.

hows the new ruger? gonna bing that to an NES event?

I just got back two of these same forms. I never noticed that the new (2015) form says countRy in box 6 and county in box 7. I didn't put a country OR a county on my forms (one for NH and one for VT.) and they were both approved.

In box seven on each form listed a specific address and then ",other locations within the state." Both approved for one year terms.

The atf doesnt really scrutinize a form 20 that hard.

I ve never even see or held my kac556k, i was a GB buy there where 4 or 5 listed at once.machingunprice.com usually close, but i think the priceing is off on this firearm.while id love to think i paid 5k less than its worth. That would be just telling myself what i want to hear.

Its unlikely i will have the ruger at any of next years shoots, i doubt ill have any HKs either. If i even received approval on the hks id have to wait for a newly filed form 20 to be approved...i dont think they would like me filing form 20s for items that form 4s haven been approved.

I will more than likely be bringing my uzi next year and with any luck a mac10 and as always ill have my m16 beltfed.
Now that i have so much inboud im more focused on the ammo ill need its going to be more work brings so many calibers

Im pretty happy with myself aquire the final items to my collection.it just i shame i didnt start younger, ill never get my AK now.thinking about all the money i wasted on stupid things in my 20s. Im kicking myself a bit.

Last edited:
I just got back two of these same forms. I never noticed that the new (2015) form says countRy in box 6 and county in box 7. I didn't put a country OR a county on my forms (one for NH and one for VT.) and they were both approved.

In box seven on each form listed a specific address and then ",other locations within the state." Both approved for one year terms.

thanks for the and other locations tip, was curious about having an approved form for NH for an NES shoot and then wanting to stay over my cousins for that night and shoot with him at his local range the next day. still same state but not same location. now I'll put "and other locations within the state" thank you for this tidbit of info

have you guys put them in for 2017 yet or do we have to wait until we are in that year?

I just sent mine for 2017 today, figure even If they get it before and I get it back by then it is only authorized for 2017 not anytime this month beforehand regardless of if I have it back yet.

was curious for those in the know, as the second page of the form with the directions ect, doesn't say it, do you need to travel with this form with the firearms? or is just having prior authorization ok? I can easily fold a photocopy of the paper into my wallet to inside a grip with a compartment or in the gun case behind foam. was just curious what the usual is

You can send them as early as you want for 2017, but i find doing it more than 3 or 4 months early can only cause problems.
Ive also heard includeing "and other places in the state" can lead to a denial.... while people are approved its open to interpretation. They may want you to submit 2 form 20s(or as many as necessary for each location)
Where as what ever you submmit will cover you. They are only authorizing to cross state lines.... not where you choose to go in a state.

Edit.... you don't need anything, all charges would be dropped with the evidence, it just conveint to avoid being arrest or charged by having it.. and most LEO when ar handed a stack of official looking paperwork with a form 20 and form 4s realize its above their paygrade.

Many people are never asked to produce paperwork but i can personally confirm it happens..... and interestly enough you can just say no.

Noone at the nes shoots asks you to produce paperwork... but with the cameras and the internet if your not legit i wouldnt be suprised if you wound up in a jam

have you guys put them in for 2017 yet or do we have to wait until we are in that year?

They are for a specific date range and a duration of not more than a year. I submitted in mid October with requested dates of 11/1/2016-10/31/2017. I will send in new requests in early October 2017.
I have a plastic sheet protector that holds copies of the paperwork that resides behind the foam of the subgun case.

I just receieved mine today but it was approved 1/17.
So 3 to 6 weeks seems to be a good estimate.

this was a handwritten filled out form so im glad it was approved it.
hopely my first hand filled out form 4 is legiable enough aswell

Youll be getting it soon.. i sent mine in right around then too, i think

received yesterday, disapproved. read above that you could put "and other locations within the state" after the exact address, but I guess you cannot. I received a letter back with my form stating "only one address is permitted on form." and that "there is no approved atf form 1 or 4 for this firearm. thanks" don't know what that means, I submitted the form for two firearms to cross state lines… more questions than answers at this point.

ill upload the letter…

Last edited:
Not to rub it in but did i say that would happen and it was completely unnecessary? Don't worry it free and you still have time before the NES shoots..thats why is a good idead to mail them in december of the previous year

Didnt realize the thread was only two pages...i did call it. I wasnt sure if i had said it in another thread.

Last edited:
Id still re submit in december 2017 for 2018.... I've been thinking about submitting all my form .20s in advance till 2034 when all my mgs become curios and relics. While i know they wouldnt go for that if i mail it in every 3 months attn:(my atf connection) after a few years of it winding up on their desk every 3 months.....you'd be suprised what will get approved.
form.20 is the only form ive gotten right the first time and never had rejected....
I'd say i wasnt trying to be a dick, but i was....im just passing alone the ball busting bigblue got me with recently

Contacted atf today about the last sentence of the letter they sent me. Was told by the gentleman that I some with that it was an error on their part. He verified that I indeed do have stamps, which I already knew... his supervisor said it was likely a copy and paste error from templates of regular denial responses and the wrong one was choosen. Resubmitting the form 20 without the any other places line. Should be good to go from there and blastin away at the NES shoots!

I actually picked up on that last line and figured either you fudged a number or it was just a complete screw up on their part..i doubt they even got to verifying the items if they even do that before rejecting your form 20.

it would be pretty silly to file a form 20 for an unregister item

Back
Top Bottom