• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Form 1 suppressors

My stamps finally came back last week, so I got my two new form 1 cans together and to the range today.

On the SBR is a 6" tube w/ a 2.25" blast chamber and 7 FP baffles, 223 only (21/64" bit). Uses a YHM Phantom brake and QD system. Weighs in at 22oz.

On the 18" SPR-ish AR is a 10" titanium tube, with a 2" blast chamber, and 13 FP baffles with a few spacers. Direct thread. Did this one for 308 (9.4mm, or 0.370" bit). Weighs 21oz.

I have a YHM Phantom M2 for comparison, which is 8.5" long, and 25oz, and uses a muzzle brake mount.

On the 11.5", the form 1 6" can is louder, and has a throatier/deeper tone. Feels a bit lighter than the YHM one on the gun because it is more compact too.

The 10" 308 can is lights out on the 18" AR though. Not only is it 15% lighter than the YHM one, it sounds noticeably quieter, and the POI shift was less.

I only got to run a few rounds through each, but I'm happy! I have about $130 into the 6" one, and $170 into the titanium one (not including stamps and tools), and only a few hours of labor (but a TON of hours spent researching). There is a huge thread over on AR15.com, and plenty of good ones at SilencerTalk.

'Murica.

https://youtu.be/5Zd5p0PETN8

https://youtu.be/lyYbqKtxsYA

115sbrform1can.jpg

Last edited:
looking good.
i jelleous. can't wait till i move to fee lands too.
i'm wanna pick your brain on suppressor making legal and design aspects.

are you shooting at the range or some place else. if range, which one?

Nice. I've got someone that works at OSS suppressors. And seeing one all apart, it is now the only one I will be getting.

looking good.
i jelleous. can't wait till i move to fee lands too.
i'm wanna pick your brain on suppressor making legal and design aspects.

I'd encourage you to check out two huuuge threads over at AR15.com in the suppressor forum, or search for the archived version of the Ryan suppressor thread that used to be there. Also, SilencerTalk and the SD Tactical forums. I didn't "design" anything with these -- I just gleaned/applied info from those threads.

Nice. I've got someone that works at OSS suppressors. And seeing one all apart, it is now the only one I will be getting.

Yeah, I mean $1000+ form 4 cans are obviously going to be more solidly built and have a better fit and finish, but that wasn't my end goal with this project. I already have form 4 cans in several calibers, so I wanted to build one just to see for myself how effective a cheap suppressor using simple parts could be.

Additionally, theoretically (since the ATF regs are grey on this and no one wants to be the test case), since the manufacturer of a suppressor is allowed to make repairs to internal parts as long as they destroy the old/damaged parts, it is conceivable to think that someone who makes a form 1 can would be able to replace baffles as necessary when they "wear out" since they are the manufacturer. Now an SOT would be required if your goal was to do R&D and try a bunch of different baffle stack combos to see what works best, but these things are user serviceable.

Back
Top Bottom