• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Form 1 SBR Questions

jeepsrt8

NES Member
I looked on the forum and did not come across an answer. I am currently waiting for my SBR to arrive at my local gun store. I will be filing a Form 1 as an individual. After, completing the Eform online how many fingerprint cards are required to be submitted with the cover letter? Do you also need to include passport photos with the cover letter?

Thank you.

This.

But to answer the question, you need two cards filled out. The ATF will even send them to you for free if you go on their website and order them.

But if you're buying an SBR from a store, you will need to fill out a paper Form 4. There is no e-Form 4 yet. Form 1 is for building your own.

Passport photo gets uploaded on an eForm, so does not need to be printed and attached separately, however you will need to do that for a paper Form 4.

This.

But to answer the question, you need two cards filled out. The ATF will even send them to you for free if you go on their website and order them.

But if you're buying an SBR from a store, you will need to fill out a paper Form 4. There is no e-Form 4 yet. Form 1 is for building your own.
I ordered a Kriss Vector pistol from my dealer and will be adding a stock to convert it from a pistol to an sbr. That would be a form 1, correct?

I ordered a Kriss Vector pistol from my dealer and will be adding a stock to convert it from a pistol to an sbr. That would be a form 1, correct?
If you are adding the stock than you are not waiting on your SBR to arrive but your pistol to arrive.

Also sounds like you are not a MA resident

That would be correct. You can do that with an eForm 1. Your post read as though you were buying the gun in SBR configuration, which would have to be a Form 4 transfer.

Check the NFA subforum here, lots of advice on how to do this. There's even instructions out there with screenshots that will walk you through the process. Just make sure you have your fingerprints ready to go when you print off the package that has to be mailed in. You have, I think, 12 days to get it in the mail. Get the USPS tracking on it, too, so you know when the ATF receives it.

If you are adding the stock than you are not waiting on your SBR to arrive but your pistol to arrive.

Also sounds like you are not a MA resident
I am a MA resident.

That would be correct. You can do that with an eForm 1. Your post read as though you were buying the gun in SBR configuration, which would have to be a Form 4 transfer.

Check the NFA subforum here, lots of advice on how to do this. There's even instructions out there with screenshots that will walk you through the process. Just make sure you have your fingerprints ready to go when you print off the package that has to be mailed in. You have, I think, 12 days to get it in the mail. Get the USPS tracking on it, too, so you know when the ATF receives it.
Apologies for any confusion regarding the lingo. I will look on the forum to find the screenshots you are recommending. I just got my fingerprint card done yesterday, was not aware we needed two cards. Anyone have recommendations for a digital fingerprinting service that prints them for you on the FD-258 fingerprint cards?

For accuracy sake its 10 days.

I am a MA resident.

Apologies for any confusion regarding the lingo. I will look on the forum to find the screenshots you are recommending. I just got my fingerprint card done yesterday, was not aware we needed two cards. Anyone have recommendations for a digital fingerprinting service that prints them for you on the FD-258 fingerprint cards?

Roll your own prints, the ATF will send cards for free. Buy a fingerprint kit on Amazon and send two cards. You upload your photo during the eForm1 process.

Roll your own prints, the ATF will send cards for free. Buy a fingerprint kit on Amazon and send two cards. You upload your photo during the eForm1 process.

This could just be me, but might as well throw this out there. Rolling your own prints is very doable, but before you start on the actual cards, test out how to roll them on just some blank paper. You don't want to have to figure it out with the limited amount of cards you get. Some fingers are easier to roll than others.

Figured that out myself on my last card when I got to my ring finger on my left hand. The way my tendons must be connected makes it difficult to hold just that one finger out, so the others were getting in the way. Messed it up on the first go. Placed a white sticker over the box and rolled it again. I don't suggest it (it was that or order more cards), but I took a gamble and that did pass.

On a separate note, why can't they just look up to see if you have Global Entry. That's Federal identification with fingerprints as well.

I am a MA resident.
My observation on your residency was two fold. The Kriss Vector pistol configuration is an assault weapon under the MA AWB. The general problem for residents of MA is that to get an SBR they need to start with a receiver and build up or start with a rifle/carbine and shorten the barrel. The path of pistol and adding a stock is usually unavailable because all the pistols in question are in violation of the AWB (two or more of 50oz, mag outside pistol grip, copy of full auto, grip for off hand, threaded barrel)

The second path which would be direct purchase (form 4) runs into the fact that any "rifle" under 16" is a firearm in MA so the same as a handgun and therefore subject to the list and AG regulations. No dealer can sell it to you.

So navigating the purchase of a pistol vector and then converting to SBR by you is dicey. Doable, but not straight forward. Hence my observation

My observation on your residency was two fold. The Kriss Vector pistol configuration is an assault weapon under the MA AWB. The general problem for residents of MA is that to get an SBR they need to start with a receiver and build up or start with a rifle/carbine and shorten the barrel. The path of pistol and adding a stock is usually unavailable because all the pistols in question are in violation of the AWB (two or more of 50oz, mag outside pistol grip, copy of full auto, grip for off hand, threaded barrel)

The second path which would be direct purchase (form 4) runs into the fact that any "rifle" under 16" is a firearm in MA so the same as a handgun and therefore subject to the list and AG regulations. No dealer can sell it to you.

So navigating the purchase of a pistol vector and then converting to SBR by you is dicey. Doable, but not straight forward. Hence my observation

so buy the rifle length Vector, eForm 1 and convert? assuming barrel swap capability on those (im not too familiar with that model)

so buy the rifle length Vector, eForm 1 and convert? assuming barrel swap capability on those (im not too familiar with that model)

Might have to have it chopped and re-threaded; I'm not familiar enough to say if it's possible or cost effective to swap the barrel. There is at least one person here who has had it chopped down, though.

Might have to have it chopped and re-threaded; I'm not familiar enough to say if it's possible or cost effective to swap the barrel. There is at least one person here who has had it chopped down, though.

I'm fairly certain it is pressed into the trunnion, similar to MP5. Wouldn't be worth the hassle and potential damage to try to exchange it.

Could OP's FFL pin/solder a faux suppressor on it to meet length/classification requirements and then remove it once Form 1 clears?

Back
Top Bottom