• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Form 1 - Re-Register?

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Probably a dumb question, but I'd rather sound dumb in asking rather than make a dumb mistake.

I successfully Form 1'd an existing, registered carbine into an SBR a while back and received the tax stamp. I've been slowly refinishing it over the course of the past month or so. I'm nearing the end and about to put it back together when it occurred me the question of if I now have to re-register it in MA via MIRCS because the barrel length and OAL changed, or is the original FFL transfer registration and tax stamp enough? This is the first I've ever done, so this is entirely new to me.

Curious as well, because of the Form 1 complexities.

For non-NFA firearms I'd say no because you don't FA-10 every time you swap uppers with different barrel lengths.

Curious as well, because of the Form 1 complexities.

For non-NFA firearms I'd say no because you don't FA-10 every time you swap uppers with different barrel lengths.

I'd agree with you for non-NFA, but this Form 1 was to SBR to 8" barrel. The whole "state vs federal" is confusing at times, particularly in this state. So tax stamp means the Feds are cool with this configuration, but MIRCS last saw it as 16". I couldn't find any info on this topic on the web, which would lead me to think that no re-registration is required, but I don't want to assume.

I would say no also.... ownership was not transferred... regardless of configuration

AWAG says no. They already have the serial number and I believe that's what they really want. Looking forward to seeing some info from a greater mind than mine.

Its been a while since Ive used MIRCS. Can you even proceed with a rifle with barrel length under 16"? I thought I read in a read on NES that it got kicked back. I could be imagining it

I'd agree with you for non-NFA, but this Form 1 was to SBR to 8" barrel. The whole "state vs federal" is confusing at times, particularly in this state. So tax stamp means the Feds are cool with this configuration, but MIRCS last saw it as 16". I couldn't find any info on this topic on the web, which would lead me to think that no re-registration is required, but I don't want to assume.

There's nothing specific in MGL that says its required (eg, no verbiage saying "if you changed the barrel, you have to reregister) so good luck finding that. The other problem is MGL is "almost entirely NFA tone deaf". At best you're going to end up with an opinion from EOPS or whoever that isn't binding, and being that EOPS is in bed with the AG etc that would be the last place I would ask. If it was ME I sure as f*** wouldn't be reregistering it especially if it had already been FA-10ed at some point.

ETA: thinking critically the trigger event for an FA-10 is acquiring, transferring, or dumping a gun depending on circumstances. In this case if you already had the gun there is no triggering event, so there is no obligation to "file again". In other words, that transfer "already happened" and you're not "getting another firearm" just making it different, the only "interesting" thing here is you've had to beg for permission from the feds to do so, but that doesn't make it "getting a new gun".

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom