Form 1 question 4c, 4h, 8, and 17

Frannyw

NES Member
Hey guys just looking for some clarification on a few questions filling out my form 1 as an individual.

For question 4c, the correct caliber designation for 5.56 would be 5.56mm?

For question 4h, would be name and address as indicated in 3b that will be engraved in the firearm ie.

John James Doe
Anytown, MA

For section 8 name and title of authorized official would be name and the title would be “maker”?

John James Doe, Maker

And finally for section 17. I will be sending a money order. Since I’m not providing credit card info and not authorizing them to charge, do I not sign there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I researched quite a bit and believe I have this correct however, this is my first for 1 and would like to have all my T’s crosses and i’s dotted. Would prefer not to have it sent back with errors.

I'm not an expert but I've filled out quite a few form 1s and never had a problem with approval. I will admit all my latest approvals are through the Silencer Shop kiosk so its been a while since I've seen the paper form. If you are near a kiosk I highly recommend setting up an account.

4C - 5.56x45
4H - (Trust name or name) City, State. Exactly what you will engrave on the lower. I never used to fill this out but I was told its advised now.
8 - Legal name since individual, trust if you change your mind.
17 - Method of payment. Sign only if you change your mind and use a credit card, which I suggest. (less stuff)

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but I've filled out quite a few form 1s and never had a problem with approval. I will admit all my latest approvals are through the Silencer Shop kiosk so its been a while since I've seen the paper form. If you are near a kiosk I highly recommend setting up an account.

4C - 5.56mm
4H - (Trust name or name) City, State. Exactly what you will engrave on the lower. I never used to fill this out but I was told its advised now.
8 - Legal name since individual, trust if you change your mind.
17 - Method of payment. Sign only if you change your mind and use a credit card, which I suggest. (less stuff)

Thanks for the advice! Clears up my few questions. Final question would be regarding the CLEO letter. It can be sent to chief of police in my town, county sheriff, or state chief of police. Do you or anyone else have a preference to whom you sent it and why? I don’t have a preference, just curious to know what others have done. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! Clears up my few questions. Final question would be regarding the CLEO letter. It can be sent to chief of police in my town, county sheriff, or state chief of police. Do you or anyone else have a preference to whom you sent it and why? I don’t have a preference, just curious to know what others have done. Thanks!

This is a funny one because through my own experience, and that of acquaintances, CLEO has little or no interest and looks at you like you have two heads. Maybe somebody will have better advice here but this is what I do post 41F. Send a copy or personally hand a copy to your local PD, you are only required to inform, you need nothing in return from them. If you tend to run nervous, send a copy and use delivery confirmation through the USPS.

4C = 5.56
4H = Dip Dungles Winchesrertonfieldville, MA
8 = Dip Dungles
17 = No signature as money order is included
CLEO letter = goes to the chief of the town you reside in. Used to have to get permission, but now you are simply informing them of your god given right.

This is a funny one because through my own experience, and that of acquaintances, CLEO has little or no interest and looks at you like you have two heads. Maybe somebody will have better advice here but this is what I do post 41F. Send a copy or personally hand a copy to your local PD, you are only required to inform, you need nothing in return from them. If you tend to run nervous, send a copy and use delivery confirmation through the USPS.
Thanks, that was my thought as well, mail it to the chief in town and not over think this.

4C = 5.56
8 = Dip Dungles
CLEO letter = goes to the chief of the town you reside in. Used to have to get permission, but now you are simply informing them of your god given right.
Thanks! Pretty straight forward as I thought. I guess I was over thinking it.

Last thing on Silencer Shop kiosks. Honestly, I have no affiliation! If you use one, individual form 1s are again being submitted electronically. If all goes to plan this could knock the approval time down to 75-80 days. My last approval took 87 days through the kiosk, but before form 1s came back on line.

4C = 5.56
8 = Dip Dungles

My forms go the head of the State Police, who I'm sure looks at it, thinks "WTF?" and shitcans it. As I would want. And, no, delivery confirmation isn't required.

My forms go the head of the State Police, who I'm sure looks at it, thinks "WTF?" and shitcans it. As I would want. And, no, delivery confirmation isn't required.
Lol I like the thought of that! Our chief here in towns gun friendly and would like to think he’s just going to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom