Forget blackface, culturally insensitive food choices, Canoe = White Privilege

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So what but I would guess, Indians stole more white man horses than white men stole Indian canoes. [thinking]

Past is past, work on the now.

HiCap

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The worst part is that this jerkoff professor is cramming this kind of crap into the students minds.

Anyword on KAYAKs?? Are they still kosher?

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Wait till Senator Warren hears about this. She'll be on the warpath. Then again, she stole a $350,000/year job at Harvard from a real Indian, so what's a few canoes?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I couldn't imagine paying money to sit in this boob's class. What happens if a student speaks up against the professor? Does the angry mob scream racist and throw red paint on the opposer?

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She also accused the canoers of cultural appropriation because they are primarily white men and have a privileged place in society.
Is she being racist here? I feel like she's being racist here. There's definitely a stereotype she's perpetuating involving water and swimming.

Also, she's an English professor, not a History professor.... How is she qualified to make such a statement?

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really needs to happen when one of 'em starts in with this crap is to shrug and say, "So?" to be followed, if needed, by, "Don't care."

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As a person who identifies as a "Native American disabled lesbian little person" I feel triggered and need to go to my culturally safe space.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
So what but I would guess, Indians stole more white man horses than white men stole Indian canoes. [thinking]//
Notwithstanding native tribes had an entirely different concept of what "ownership" was, the first horses were brought to the hemisphere by the Spaniards in the 1500's and to North America by the 1600's. Pueblo Indians learned to ride from them, and started selling horses left behind by the Spaniards sometime after 1680 (when the Spaniards left for a while).

By the time European settlers headed west in the mid to late 1700's, plains indians were already riding horses and using them as pack animals.

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I wonder what its like to wake up and think to yourself .... "hmmmm ... what can I bitch and complain about today? Where will my next victimhood fix come from???"

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Notwithstanding native tribes had an entirely different concept of what "ownership" was, the first horses were brought to the hemisphere by the Spaniards in the 1500's and to North America by the 1600's. Pueblo Indians learned to ride from them, and started selling horses left behind by the Spaniards sometime after 1680 (when the Spaniards left for a while).

By the time European settlers headed west in the mid to late 1700's, plains indians were already riding horses and using them as pack animals.
Indians did have a clear understanding of land usage rights; what they did not understand was total “get off my lawn!” ownership. A good number of places in Mass, CT and RI were fairly negotiated for. Some places though were conflicts of interest, like Swansea in Mass and Jamestown in RI.

Jamestown was originally leased by people from Newport in order to graze sheep and cattle. It eventually was re-negotiated for and “bought” by the English. The problem was, Jamestown was extremely important to the Narragansett as a cemetery/place for the ancestors. So while the Indians had no problem with the English using unused land, they did not want to totally give the land up.

https://archive.org/details/documentaryhisto02chap

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Okay how about if we make a deal... I will refrain from using a canoe if it is made by hollowing out a log. The plastic or aluminum thing I use today that is called a "canoe", I will call something else to avoid confusion. How about "McFloatyThing".... That is probably not used by any culture so it should not offend.

By the way, isn't it supposed to be honoring a culture by using their words to name something you like? Guess not though.... I need to stop thinking like that. I should embrace their outrage and start advocating that we purge or clean our society of all references to native cultures. I think I will call this new idea "ethnic cleansing". I will go log onto DU or wherever these people hang out and see if I can promote this.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
actually, the oldest know canoe in fact comes from cracka ass european racist old white folk

Constructed between 8200 and 7600 BC, and found in the Netherlands, the Pesse canoe may be the oldest known canoe. Excavations in Denmark reveal the use of dugouts and paddles during the Ertebølle period, (ca 5300 BC – 3950 BC).[5]...wikipedia

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the reality is that probably a lot of different cultures with no contact were able to figure out how to hollow out a ****ing tree and float around on it.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
the reality is that probably a lot of different cultures with no contact were able to figure out how to hollow out a ****ing tree and float around on it.
True.
The idea for the first boat or raft, which probably came from a caveman seeing a log floating in a pond, is likely way older than the invention of the wheel.

CaseHardened

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what but I would guess, Indians stole more white man horses than white men stole Indian canoes. [thinking]

Past is past, work on the now.
So true.

Many people admire, rightfully so, the American Indian Plains Culture, where every aspect of life depended on the Buffalo - and the HORSE.

However, most assume this Culture was ancient - NOT SO.

Horses were unknown to the New World. Something the Hispanic Nations (Spain & Portugal) used to their advantage during their Rape and Slaughter of the Indigenous Peoples.

Every last Plains Culture Horse was descended from those Hispanic Pioneers.

Dating the entire Plains Horse Culture to no earlier than 1600 AD.

Top Bottom