• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Foreign national and hunting in MA

Have a friend/business partner who is from Brazil. His father is an avid hunter/firearms enthusiast back in Brazil and will be visiting here around deer season.

-can he join me on a hunt?
-can I let him shoot a deer with my shotgun in my presence?
-can he legally bring his shotgun and join me for a hunt in MA (he can have "my" deer).

If he is in the woods and you are hunting he's probably going to also be seen as engaged in the act of hunting.

And I'm pretty sure that anyone who is going to hunt needs a license....Why would there be an exception for some guy from Brazil?

I was curious so I looked to see what MA F&G has to say:
FAQ
I'm not a US citizen (alien) and wish to hunt. What do I need in order to obtain a hunting license?

Aliens need either
1.a hunting license from a previous year or another state, OR
2.a basic hunter education certificate issued by any US, Canadian, or Mexican jurisdiction.

In addition the Department of Public Safety requires permanent resident aliens planning to hunt with most guns to possess either an FID or LTC. When purchasing a license, these people will need to check a box affirming that they have met this requirement. (M.G.L. Chapter 140 Section 131H) Any questions about alien status (i.e. whether permanent or temporary), or the specific requirements of G.L. c. 140 § 131H, should be asked of the Department of Public Safety at 617-660-4780.

If he's over 14, he needs his own license.

To get his own license, he needs to follow the rules above.

If he has a non-resident license, he can have his own firearm. Here's the license fees:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/licensing/license-types-and-fees.html

He can SHOOT under your supervision, but the hunting part is a different thing. AFAIK, Barzil is not part of the reciprocity deal, so he'd have to take a US or Mexico HE Course.

Last I checked, Massachusetts was refusing to issue a Non-resident Temporary License to Carry Firearms to non-immigrant aliens, arguing that a non-immigrant alien is not an alien.

How can a non-immigrant alien legally possess a firearm and ammunition in Massachusetts if the non-immigrant alien does not possess a Massachusetts LTC?

Last I checked, Massachusetts was refusing to issue a Non-resident Temporary License to Carry Firearms to non-immigrant aliens, arguing that a non-immigrant alien is not an alien.

How can a non-immigrant alien legally possess a firearm and ammunition in Massachusetts if the non-immigrant alien does not possess a Massachusetts LTC?

MGLs allows issuance to a non-resident, non-immigrant, alien...

MGL 140-131F said:
A temporary license to carry firearms or feeding devices or ammunition therefor, within the commonwealth, may be issued by the colonel of state police, or persons authorized by him, to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority or to an alien that resides outside the commonwealth for purposes of firearms competition and subject to such terms and conditions as said colonel may deem proper; provided, however, that no license shall be issued to a person who:

<snip>

(x) not being a citizen or national of the United States, has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa as defined in 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26), unless the person has been admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States or another exception set forth in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2) applies.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131f

Jason Guida, while still representing the FRB, told me that an alien that resides outside the commonwealth (in the law) refers to a permanent resident alien living outside of Massachusetts, and does not permit the issuance of a temporary LTC to a non-immigrant alien.

Reptile and I have discussed this paradox.

If anyone knows differently, I'm all ears.

Jason Guida, while still representing the FRB, told me that an alien that resides outside the commonwealth (in the law) refers to a permanent resident alien living outside of Massachusetts, and does not permit the issuance of a temporary LTC to a non-immigrant alien.

With some exceptions, as noted above, one of them being applicable to the OP's situation.

I should have stated "MGLs allows issuance to SOME non-resident, non-immigrant, aliens..."

If he's over 14, he needs his own license.

To get his own license, he needs to follow the rules above.

If he has a non-resident license, he can have his own firearm. Here's the license fees:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/licensing/license-types-and-fees.html

He can SHOOT under your supervision, but the hunting part is a different thing. AFAIK, Barzil is not part of the reciprocity deal, so he'd have to take a US or Mexico HE Course.

Agree, but In MA It's age 15 for license.

Back
Top Bottom