Forearm Pistol Grip

In general, it's legal on any long gun, but i'm not sure if there's a 922 issue here. Someone will be along shortly to Scriv me and answer your question.

Shouldn't be a problem. If it's pre-ban, there's no issue at all. If it's post-ban, I'll assume you already have a pistol grip on it as your one allowed 'evil feature'. Adding another pistol grip, or moving the pistol grip around, doesn't change that.

Wrong issue, jdubois. He's talking about a forearm pistol grip, which on a long gun is not regulated (on a pistol it makes it an AOW). I think the only issue here is whether it becomes an imported parts issue etc with the whole 922 thing (which I've never bothered to learn)

He's talking about a forearm pistol grip

There is a lot of ambiguity as to whether a forearm pistol grip is included in the definition of 'a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon' in the AWB. I would err on the side of caution. Anyway, it doesn't matter if it is or isn't defined as such until you want to take the rear pistol grip off and replace it with some other evil feature.

In general, it's legal on any long gun, but i'm not sure if there's a 922 issue here. Someone will be along shortly to Scriv me and answer your question.

It's a Romanian "G" handguard/pistol grip is one of the countable 922r parts.

The OP would have to swap out one foreign made part from his WASR with a USA made part, then he could use the handguard.

FWIW... I have no idea which parts on a WASR are USA made or foreign made to bring it in compliance...

The 16 countable parts in a AK with a muzzle device. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported...

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

Both handguards count as one part. But even if the upper handguard was manufactured in the USA you still can't replace the lower handguard with the Romy one and claim that the completed handguard is compliant... as the lower handguard is unmodified and still performs its intended function.

There is a lot of ambiguity as to whether a forearm pistol grip is included in the definition of 'a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon' in the AWB. I would err on the side of caution. Anyway, it doesn't matter if it is or isn't defined as such until you want to take the rear pistol grip off and replace it with some other evil feature.

I think the ambiguity is long gone as at the present time there doesn't seem to be any legal action by the AG against the many gun owners here that have the contraptions on their ARs (that's not to say that the powers that be can't suddenly change their mind).

I think the ambiguity is long gone as at the present time there doesn't seem to be any legal action by the AG against the many gun owners here that have the contraptions on their ARs (that's not to say that the powers that be can't suddenly change their mind).

Why would there be any legal action either way? Who has an AR that DOESN'T have the rear pistol grip, but DOES have a forward pistol grip? I'd reckon the answer is zero. Go tell the AG's office you've got a flash suppressor and forward pistol grip, but no rear pistol grip, and see what they say. Given their love of all things firearm, you think they wouldn't try to angle it? Maybe not, but I'm not betting on it.

Why would there be any legal action either way? Who has an AR that DOESN'T have the rear pistol grip, but DOES have a forward pistol grip? I'd reckon the answer is zero. Go tell the AG's office you've got a flash suppressor and forward pistol grip, but no rear pistol grip, and see what they say. Given their love of all things firearm, you think they wouldn't try to angle it? Maybe not, but I'm not betting on it.

Precedent seems to be in our favor.

Sure, the AGs office could conceivably go out on a limb, add some spin and file charges against the owners(s), but that would be an awful long stretch seeing as "evil black rifle" owners in this state have been adding foward pistol grips to their firearms all these years with not a single peep from the AG.

Taking it further, they could also find fault with pinned/welded muzzle brakes and folding/collapsible stocks as well.

There's also no telling how many of us have muzzle devices on our "EBRS" that according to prior ATF rulings meet the definition of a grenade launcher (I believe the outer dimensions can't be less than 23mm or something like that).

So, I guess all of us that fit into the above categories should be concerned as well?

And as you say the pistol grip determination is "ambiguous".

"evil black rifle" owners in this state have been adding foward pistol grips to their firearms all these years with not a single peep from the AG.

You keep saying this. It's irrelevant. People keep adding REAR pistol grips to their firearms all these years too without a single peep from the AG, and that's without question an 'evil feature'.

Yep. I'm still not sure about the 922r compliance though, I think that's the bigger issue.

Yeah, I think it would count as one of the 10 imported parts, as LoginName said. Whether it counts as a pistol grip would coincidentally depend largely on if it counted as such for the MA AWB, but that's a non-issue because it would definitely count as part of the handguard.

But it's not a problem if he compensates by swapping the trigger out for a Tapco G2 trigger, which is something everybody should do on those WASRs anyway [smile]

Yep. I'm still not sure about the 922r compliance though, I think that's the bigger issue.

Wouldn't the front grip just have to be made in the US then? Otherwise you'd have to replace some other parts to put an imported forward grip on the rifle?

Back
Top Bottom