• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Foraging walk 7/24/21

Hard to tell from photo. Could be Smooth Sumac...

Smooth:
1629945683054.png

Stag:
1629945660703.png

Also the leaf layout. Still hard to tell though. Stag is tightly packed together and tasty if you harvest when it hasn't been rainy. Rhus Juice
Yeah I was hoping it as stag but apparently these can still be harvested and eaten.

The same spot has a whole ton of grapes around too. I’m going to harvesting those suckers as soon as they’re ripe.

Yeah I was hoping it as stag but apparently these can still be harvested and eaten.

The same spot has a whole ton of grapes around too. I’m going to harvesting those suckers as soon as they’re ripe.
Yep. Smooth Sumac is tasty too. High in vitamin C, anti-inflammatory. Sailors liked it to prevent scurvy. Or, so I've read...
Berries only though, leaves are medicinal but dangerous.

This may help too:

Staghorn Sumac has leaves that have a hairy leaf stem and rachis, the stem that the leaflets are attached to. Smooth Sumac has none of the hair on the leaves.

Smooth sumac has edible berries and poisonous but medicinal leaves

Last edited:
Taste a few first. There are many wild grapes that are just unpalatable.
If they taste good, try to collect bunches from the same vine, or other vines you've verified.
I never harvest more than 1/3 of the grapes from a vine or area. (or any wild edible for that matter) and prefer to keep my impact low.
Keeps the wildlife well fed and ensures future plants...

Also watch for Autumn Olive. Berries are just about ready.

1629947641700.png

Tart Black cherries too...

1629947912738.png

Last edited:
Taste a few first. There are many wild grapes that are just unpalatable.
If they taste good, try to collect bunches from the same vine, or other vines you've verified.
I never harvest more than 1/3 of the grapes from a vine or area. (or any wild edible for that matter) and prefer to keep my impact low.
Keeps the wildlife well fed and ensures future plants...

Also watch for Autumn Olive. Berries are just about ready.

View attachment 516317

Tart Black cherries too...

View attachment 516318
Ooo I love me some autumn olive berries. We had a sweet spot on my street that yielded about 3 gallons in a couple hours picking.
Well the property owner cut them down

Ahh well there’s a ton around here so I’ll hit some new spots. Cannot wait!

it has been a great year for mushrooms...

stirred with ginger salt, it did taste like chicken...

6WyQE8c.jpg

it has been a great year for mushrooms...

stirred with ginger salt, it did taste like chicken...

6WyQE8c.jpg
The freshest ones literally drip yellow/orange juice. I would love to extract some of it for medicinal purposes one of these days. I think I collected about 15 wet lbs of chicken this year all vacuum packed and frozen.

I’d love to do a little walk on my plot @mousegunguy and with some of you guys. It’s only 25 acres but shares a border with 214 acres of DCR watershed so all in all I have 240 acres at my disposal. The autumn fungi season is gonna be epic.

The freshest ones literally drip yellow/orange juice. I would love to extract some of it for medicinal purposes one of these days. I think I collected about 15 wet lbs of chicken this year all vacuum packed and frozen.

I’d love to do a little walk on my plot @mousegunguy and with some of you guys. It’s only 25 acres but shares a border with 214 acres of DCR watershed so all in all I have 240 acres at my disposal. The autumn fungi season is gonna be epic.
I love doing foraging walks!!
PM me and we can set something up.

what medicinal purpose(s) for the hen of the woods?

I have found some giant ones... those and morels are the only ones I trust my limited identification skills to gather... I found a patch of morels that is very reliable... although my morel compass is weak...

VMQLYfc.jpg

Last edited:

I would be down for a walk.

Back
Top Bottom