• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Foraging books?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Does anyone have a suggestion or two for a good detailed well illustrated foraging book for New England plats?
Thanks!

Finding one is tough. Check out Russ Cohen "foods I have known and eaten". Steve brill has a couple books about wild edibles/medicinals. "Backyard foraging" (I forget the lady's name) is decent too.

I couldn't recommend any single book. Find and read as many as you can that are specific to your region (the ones that try to cover too many areas are generally worthless). Add to your collection various identification books, as some foraging books lack the details needed for positive ID.
Eventually you'll come to prefer 1 or 2 from the pile - it's sort of a personal thing.

Foraging New England by Tom Seymour is OK
Edible Wild Plants: a North American Field Guide by Thomas Elias and Peter Dykeman is very good
Edible Wild Plants by Lee Allen Peterson is good
Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild and not so wild places by "Wildman" Steve Brill is good but only has line drawings

Last edited:
Just ordered the Peterson foraging book and the medicinal plants book. Also ordered the Elias book too.
I'm planning on ordering the others soon. Seems like these books would be similar to reloading manuals. Can't have enough, and can't cross reference enough.
Thanks guys!

Ancestral Plants. Volumes 1 and 2. By Arthur Haines

Arthur is local to Maine and is a research botinast by schooling and a primitive skills expert by hobby. The books focus on the northeast (including harvest times) and includes labeling for food, medical, fire, cordage, and other uses. These plus a Peterson guide or two are possibly the best resource for our area.

Arthur also teaches through the delta institute and has been on numerous podcasts (mainly with Daniel Vitalis).

I can can recommend these enough

Just ordered the Peterson foraging book and the medicinal plants book. Also ordered the Elias book too.
I'm planning on ordering the others soon. Seems like these books would be similar to reloading manuals. Can't have enough, and can't cross reference enough.
Thanks guys!

Ancestral Plants. Volumes 1 and 2. By Arthur Haines

Arthur is local to Maine and is a research botinast by schooling and a primitive skills expert by hobby. The books focus on the northeast (including harvest times) and includes labeling for food, medical, fire, cordage, and other uses. These plus a Peterson guide or two are possibly the best resource for our area.

Arthur also teaches through the delta institute and has been on numerous podcasts (mainly with Daniel Vitalis).

I can can recommend these enough

I see ancestral plants vol 2 is available but vol 1 is going for $400+! How often does it get reprinted?

I know it's a drive for you but I'm putting together another edible weed walk in west brookfield ma. on sept. 4th at 10 am. Pm me if you'd be interested in attending.
My favorite foraging books are 'weeds of the northeast' by Rich uva. It's not a edibles book but has excellent info on identification. Petersons is very good. 'Edible wild plants' by dikeman is also a good reference to use.

To my knowledge there has only been one printing. Try his website arthurhaines.com or the delta institute's site. I'd even go to a class to try to score a copy.

From an interview I heard with him he documented the 200 plants that the natives of this area used. Each volume covers ~100.

I see ancestral plants vol 2 is available but vol 1 is going for $400+! How often does it get reprinted?

Back
Top Bottom