• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For those considering a biometric safe

Sorry to hear about your hands, but I'm sure the brick work looks nice. I must say that you have the wrong kind of biometric, you should go with iris recognition; if you want to be high screed and not worry about not being able to get at your gun.

I just bought a new safe and I insisted on waiting for them to get in old fashioned combo lock. This is why.

what style safe? you can pop a gunvault open with a screw driver in about 1 second. i lost the keys for mine years ago, and only use it for storing momentos from the kids. old christmas lists, etc., now. if i need in, flathead. done.
I bet that's CA DOJ approved too.... [laugh]

Sorry to hear about your hands, but I'm sure the brick work looks nice. I must say that you have the wrong kind of biometric, you should go with iris recognition; if you want to be high screed and not worry about not being able to get at your gun.

Yeah, because eyeballs never get damaged...
PAP%2003%20One-Eyed%20Jack.jpg

Argh...

Search the net for Gummi Bear trick. Find a glass or something you've touched with a clean finger print to lift and do it, poof - you're in your safe.

Fingerprint based biometrics are really crap, especially the consumer grade stuff we're likely to encounter.

Search the net for Gummi Bear trick. Find a glass or something you've touched with a clean finger print to lift and do it, poof - you're in your safe.

Fingerprint based biometrics are really crap, especially the consumer grade stuff we're likely to encounter.
Oops - looks like someone already posted the MB episode...

Useless - and the ones on the safe are even more crude...

As someone who fixes computers for a living, I can tell you that electronics are never reliable enough to trust your life to. Simplex is the way to go.

DON'T

I was working on brickwork this weekend and destroyed the tips to my fingers. I can not access my SIG...it will not read my prints.....They will grow back, but I think I will be looking for a new easy access safe..

Guess I should have been carrying while doing housework

Have you really worn them (you prints) off or have you just really dried up your fingertips. I would guess that a bit of re-hydration of the fingertips that your prints might come back enough to open up that thing. You might try soaking them in a moisturizing liquid for a little bit and then give the safe another try.

the mortar has left me with no distinguishable prints and bloody finger tips. When I scan the prints it displays a few lines but mostly grey

25de012b.jpg

Last edited:
So I know in an ideal world simplex or old fashioned combos are best, but I have to consider speed of access. What are some thoughts on the general electronic combination locks?

So I know in an ideal world simplex or old fashioned combos are best, but I have to consider speed of access. What are some thoughts on the general electronic combination locks?

I have one on my big safe and have never had a problem. I could never do combination's...and would never be able to do one in an emergency. I do like the manual press button ones but I am not sure if they offer them on a big safe

I bought a very expensive Biometric Gun Safe also. At the time the only one recommended by the NRA. I have 4 of my fingers registered with it. It usually takes me 3-4 fingers and anywhere from 6-12 tries to get into it. I never liked how long it takes for it to open once your print is accepted. Definitely NOT for getting your gun out in a hurry. I have a gunvault for that, opens instantly.

Someone once told me to wipe the oil from your skin, forehead or such with your finger and it will work better.....haven't tried it yet. I hope your fingers heal quickly.

moisten the tips of your fingers with water and see if that will bring up the ridges etc enough for the scanner to read it so you can open the safe. We have to do this all the time to get prints from people at work.

Back
Top Bottom