For SHTF scenario, multiple guns for single caliber?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
For whatever reason I was thinking about guns that I own for a particular caliber. Specifically rifle calibers and came to realize that while I have several rifles in 7.62x51, I only have one rifle in 5.56. That is my AR platform. I also realized that the largest stockpile I have of ammo and mags if for that single AR. If something were to happen to that rifle in a SHTF scenario I'd be SOL.

I work in telecommunications and the biggest no no in the industry is to have a single point of failure in your architecture. Everything is built taking into account diversification. Moving this philosophy into firearms, especially considering your main go to weapon/caliber, having the one platform is basically a single point of failure in my SHTF planning.

Soooo, you know what that means. I need to get another rifle that shoots 5.56 and accepts 30rnd AR mags...... [smile]

Seriously though, has anyone else given this some thought as to what happens if your primary weapon goes down during an EOTWAWKI situation?

I read on this website once that it's better to have 1000 rounds for one gun than 100 rounds for 10 guns. That said get a second ar.

and as far as ammo stock goes, never stop buying for any caliber no matter how much you have. Get more 308 too. And mags. And for shtf reasons you'll need a plate carrier. And another for a friend. Then food and water.

Last edited:
i have 2 AR's and getting ready to build 2 more. there is no such thing as to many AR's.

All my subguns and the Colt 1911 are in .45 acp. I addition to the ammo, I have a lot of components for reloading the caliber. Of course, there are all kinds if other guns with small amounts of ammo for each. I'm covered. Jack.

I have an AR for each member of the family and one more as back-up. Same concept for hand-guns, Enough 1911's for the family, plus a couple of .45 ACP revolvers. I'm all about common caliber and magazines.

-Chris

Hummmmmm, this sounds like sarcasm to me...... [wink]

Though on the serious side of it, all of those have checks beside them as being covered!!!
In no way sarcasm, it was meant to have more of an excited tone. You GET to go stockpile more guns and ammo and equipment!

My philosophy is at least two in each caliber plus some spare parts for common wear items. 8-10 mags each and at least 500-1000 rounds in that caliber. Also if you go with two similar/same guns if one does fail you can always cannibalize the other if needed. So I think you need another AR.

Just remember to save some $ for all the other stuff. Too many preppers have guns and ammo for 100 years but food, water, fuel and medical supplies for 1 month.

Just remember to save some $ for all the other stuff. Too many preppers have guns and ammo for 100 years but food, water, fuel and medical supplies for 1 month.

Does not compute.

I have the MEANS to get all of the other supplies I might need.

Several years back Jim Braoude and Marji Egan were broadcasting on the day they called "Snow-mageddon" and taking calls from people answering the question "What are you stocking up on?"

All the calls were the typical bread, milk, cigs, booze. I called in a got past the screener and got on the air with them. "So Michael, what are you stocking up on?"

Michael= Ammunition....................................... Silence. Jim B, "Really?"

Michael, "Yup, I can get everything else I might need"

Thanks for the call! NEXT!

One rifle round, one rifle. (AK) One pistol round, one pistol. (9mm/Beretta 92fs) One shotgun round, one shotgun (Remington 870 12 gauge). That's my starting point.

Does not compute.

I have the MEANS to get all of the other supplies I might need.

There's plenty of preppers with plenty of food but no weapons of any kind. You just need to know where they live [emoji12]

Sent from my NSA issued device
All true. The thing to remember is that you expose yourself when you go on the hunt. Plus, if you don't know the target very well you won't know if you are going up against someone as determined and armed as you. 40% of U.S. households have at least one gun.

All true. The thing to remember is that you expose yourself when you go on the hunt. Plus, if you don't know the target very well you won't know if you are going up against someone as determined and armed as you. 40% of U.S. households have at least one gun.

True, however the percentage of households that have someone skilled and determined enough to make a difference is SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

True, however the percentage of households that have someone skilled and determined enough to make a difference is SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

The determination part will be a given due to the SHTF event that is causing you to be on the hunt. The skilled part is where the difference will come in. Though even someone unskilled is going to know their own house better if you're raiding them, which gives them the definitive advantage.

I think I'll go review the "What do you look like" threads so I'll know people when they come calling.

Well, if you see a friendly looking guy who looks like Al Bundy from Married with Children, except with a GoTee, it might be in your best interest to shoot first and ask questions later!! [wink][laugh]

That's when Barry and vegan bumperstickers come handy. We are here to redistribute your wealth.

Same caliber, two or three of the same type of rifles even if they are not the same as long as they are the same caliber and plenty of ammo. Same for handguns.

You can have all the rifles in the world, but if you have zero to no training all that gear will get you killed.

Sent from my NSA issued device

Last edited:
What about handgun/rifle combos in the same caliber? E.g. .357 rifle or 9mm carbine to complement your handgun.

Back
Top Bottom