For no particular reason

Ok, here is an interesting question that the FAQ just caused me to ask...

One section says:

Q: Do I need an FID Card or an LTC Firearms to possess a gun in my home?

A: Yes. At a minimum you need an FID Card for non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. For handguns you need either an LTC,, or an FID Card combined with a Permit to Purchase firearms for the particular handgun in question.

This states that it is legal to have a firearm (pistol) in your home if you have an FID and a "Permit to Purchase".

So let's say that I have both a FID and a LTC-A. I purchase a pistol, then later no longer have a LTC... does this mean that my FID would make it legal to posses the pistol in my home since I purchased it legally when I had a LTC? Does having an LTC qualify as the "Permit to Purchase"?

It strikes me as if it does, then so long as you maintain the "shall issue" FID, you might lose your ability to carry concealed, but you should be able to retain ownership of anything you had with the LTC.

How does one even get a "Permit to Purchase"?

Maybe this should become its own thread...

You would need to obtain a Permit to Purchase (IIRC, from your local PD) for each firearm, prior to purchase.

Your local PD will wonder, "Why,if he has an LTC does he want a Permit to Purchase?" Add to that that most PDs /LOs don't know that they exist, and I'm also guessing that most FFLs would [rolleyes] were you to try it.

IIRC, the theoretical existence of a Permit to Purchase played a part in a Mass. court case....but I'm sure that they're exceptionally rare. After all, if the requirements for a PtP are essentially the same as an LTC....get the LTC!

This was all hypothetical. I have a LTC-A, so there are no problems here.

Where I was going was that if it is legal to possess a handgun in your home with a FID and a Permit to Purchase, then isn't it legal to possess a handgun with a FID if it was purchased under a LTC?

It is a Permit to Purchase, not a Permit to Possess, right...

Then again, we are talking about a state where you aren't allowed to own a firearm with a Firearms Identification Card and you might not be able to carry concealed with a License To Carry. It would then stand to reason that the Permit to Purchase would be for possession.

This really is bizarro land, isn't it.

This was all hypothetical. I have a LTC-A, so there are no problems here.

Where I was going was that if it is legal to possess a handgun in your home with a FID and a Permit to Purchase, then isn't it legal to possess a handgun with a FID if it was purchased under a LTC?

It is a Permit to Purchase, not a Permit to Possess, right...

Then again, we are talking about a state where you aren't allowed to own a firearm with a Firearms Identification Card and you might not be able to carry concealed with a License To Carry. It would then stand to reason that the Permit to Purchase would be for possession.

This really is bizarro land, isn't it.

No, because you do not have a Permit to Purchase in your hypothetical. The PtP is a specific thing, and it's not an LTC.

Back
Top Bottom