• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

for everyone cleaning guns, a friendly reminder.

I feel much safer, I almost never clean my guns [hmmm]

well it was his non dominant hand. so i suspect he was getting ready to catch the slide as if it were going to be dissembled after he pulled the trigger.

Years ago my brother was an EMT and his first call was a guy that lost all his fingers on his right hand in his snowblower. He was a fairly young guy, some kind of hot shot computer programmer. He and his wife had just bought their first house. My brothers second call was a fatal rollover in the median strip of 95. It was the EMT that had trained him.

Dumb question but when I strip my glocks the worst thing that's going to happen to my hand if I do nd is have my palm cut. I feel wrapping your thumb over the barrel to hold it after you use your off hand to push the slide back while making sure your clear of the barrel is the most comfortable way to disassemble one. Am I wrong here? I know the op said m&p but same rules apply in my opinion

Not sure if reading you right, but you should be able to hold it and pull back slide with same hand (glock grip). Depress take down with other hand from below frame. M&P take down is a little different

Last edited:
I don't understand.

"Let me just put my finger over the barrel to remove the slide without racking the slide back or doing a visual inspection."

So much fail. I feel bad for the guy, but better him than someone nearby. I drop the magazine, rack the slide, rack again and hold up for visual inspection (do I see light?), then point in a safe direction with fingers clear of the barrel before pulling trigger / moving forward with disassembly. I'm sure plenty of guys here do the same.

I don't feel bad for him at all. He pulled the trigger of a loaded firearm with his hand in front of the muzzle. Firearm functioned as designed. PSGWSP.

I'm supposed to believe it happened during takedown? Even if you don't want to use the sear disconnect lever on the M&P and can't be bothered to perform the visual and tactile check for a round in the chamber when the slide is back, you're going to need a loaded magazine to screw yourself over, unless your extractor isn't working reliably (which you probably ought to have suspected by then).

I'm supposed to believe it happened during takedown?

I wonder if anyone will admit that their ND was due to twirling their gun around on their finger like the old Westerns (or cartoons that parodied them).

I have been getting into the habit of clearing the chamber even after I know I just cleared it earlier. Feel completely OCD

I don't understand.

"Let me just put my finger over the barrel to remove the slide without racking the slide back or doing a visual inspection."

So much fail. I feel bad for the guy, but better him than someone nearby. I drop the magazine, rack the slide, rack again and hold up for visual inspection (do I see light?), then point in a safe direction with fingers clear of the barrel before pulling trigger / moving forward with disassembly. I'm sure plenty of guys here do the same.

Yep. Except I end up racking and looking about 3 times each before pulling the trigger. [laugh]

was at work today and had a patient who had an AD/ND however you want to call it. but i feel sorry for my patient who with an M&P 9mm shot through his index finger destroying his median nerve , the bone is gone and it just happened in a blink of and eye..

please everyone , check your chamber and make sure its empty before tearing it down.
Are you and your coworkers required by law to report self inflicted gun wounds?

was at work today and had a patient who had an AD/ND however you want to call it. but i feel sorry for my patient who with an M&P 9mm shot through his index finger destroying his median nerve , the bone is gone and it just happened in a blink of and eye..

please everyone , check your chamber and make sure its empty before tearing it down.

Yes, I always look down the barrel and squeeze the trigger to make sure.

Yep. Except I end up racking and looking about 3 times each before pulling the trigger. [laugh]

Only 3????

I have a slightly bigger fear of the "Magic Bullet" - this is the one that seems to miraculously appear in cleared guns.

In all honesty, I believe so much of the "safety" bs we deal with here are part of two things
1) AGs and Legislators who are dishonest and warp and misuse genuine public safety concerns for their own political / ideological agendas
2) Embarrassed owners not willing they forgot or were lazy and trying to find an excuse

the SAME gnomes that steal your underpants and one sock, are the ones that slip a boolit into the chamber when you have your back turned...
underpants gnomes.jpg

If it was a Shield, there's no magazine disconnect. Personally, I'd never pick a self defense pistol that has one.

We have one. After linking hands, sweep down with your thumb as if disengaging the safety on a 1911. Ooops, I guess it's not a secret any more.

I thought it was we shake hands with the trigger finger extended (to show trigger discipline).

I have been getting into the habit of clearing the chamber even after I know I just cleared it earlier. Feel completely OCD

Nope.

Check it EVERY TIME. Period. No exceptions.

Pulled a gun out of my safe a few years ago and like always, I racked the slide to check and a live round came flying out at me. I would swear on a stack of bibles that I checked it before putting it away, but the evidence quite explicitly hit me in the face.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I refer to these incidents as a visit by the "ammunition fairy".

The key is, you check every time. Doing so makes sure that the ammunition fairy does not get you.

She's only tried me once.. so far.

Yup, still practice the method they hammered home when I took Handgun 101 at the Sig Academy.

1. Gun pointed in safe direction
2. Lock slide back
3. Visually inspect the chamber
4. Perform a tactile check of the chamber with a finger tip
5. If expecting to see empty chamber, brain can suffer from confirmation bias and see empty chamber even if not empty so, look away for a couple of seconds and repeat steps 3 and 4.

Just to be a dick there is no such thing as a AD, its always a ND.

There are ADs but I would suggest that definition fits a pretty narrow window, not at all what most people would think of as an "AD".

Like for example, years ago I had a Ruger MKII and the trigger was ****ed up in it. I pointed the gun at the target and pulled the trigger and got a
crunch and no bang. I took my finger off the trigger, gun still pointed at target. About a second or so later there was a bang as the gun fired when the sear released. This to me is an "AD" because the gun fired unintentionally and not when I had meant to fire it... but it was not "negligent" in any way because the safety rules were still "intact". Or same thing when, for example, some guns were malfunctioning. Guy points gun down range, racks a round in and as soon as the slide closes, gun
"slam fires" because of a malfunction that was not known to exist before that incident. Obviously not an intentional discharge, but not negligent either.

-Mike

It's always the same excuse "I was cleaning my gun" give these people a truck to stand in front of

To be fair, they could be worried about getting in trouble in addition to being embarrassed by the details of the incident. "I was cleaning the gun" is probably just a white lie in many cases. Unfortunately, the side effect of that white lie is that the general public thinks cleaning a gun is like defusing a bomb or something.

"Cleaning a gun"

Ever see a gun that went off while "I was just cleaning it"?

I've had the chance to see 2. Both were absolutely filthy and had probably never been cleaned.

So, which is more likely:

1) The idiot was actually trying for the first time to clean a gun that was obviously grossly neglected.

or

2) The chucklehead was playing with the gun and pulled the trigger causing it to discharge.

Back
Top Bottom