for everyone cleaning guns, a friendly reminder.

was at work today and had a patient who had an AD/ND however you want to call it. but i feel sorry for my patient who with an M&P 9mm shot through his index finger destroying his median nerve , the bone is gone and it just happened in a blink of and eye..

please everyone , check your chamber and make sure its empty before tearing it down.

Never point a firearm at anyone or yourself! Especially never ever pull the trigger while doing so...

Well, at least he knows how those new wizbang hollow point bullets work!

My nephew had someone point a loaded HK pistol at him while she was showing them her son's new pistol.
She hands him the pistol after he was like "why are you pointing that at me"?
She says "what, its not loaded".
Sure enough he removes a loaded magazine and racks the slide and out falls a round...[angry]

If ever there is a time I get nervous around firearms is when someone wants to show me one of their's.
If they have been drinking. I'm outa there!
If they muzzle sweep the room before checking if it is loaded. See ya!

This is exactly the reason why I ask new shooters to consider a revolver as a first handgun!

Last edited:
well it was his non dominant hand. so i suspect he was getting ready to catch the slide as if it were going to be dissembled after he pulled the trigger.

was at work today and had a patient who had an AD/ND however you want to call it. but i feel sorry for my patient who with an M&P 9mm shot through his index finger destroying his median nerve , the bone is gone and it just happened in a blink of and eye..

please everyone , check your chamber and make sure its empty before tearing it down.

Oh, for crying out loud.

I'm sure you wanted to yell at him...but didn't. So frustrating just to hear about it.

i did not want to yell at him at all, i truly had compassion for him, he was a young guy all alone , no one with him.

i tried to tell him that while it may look bad, it could have been your palm.

What's the benefit of that? Mine still has the lever, but I don't use it to field strip.

My bad... it's the mag disconnect lever that I was thinking about. It's been a while since I had my 9C.

And after all of that, likely unsuitable.

I don't know, my money says he was not cleaning his gun, he was playing with it and it went off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the lever in M&P's allows you to not have to pull the trigger to take down the gun
The point of that lever is to get a person to perform a visual and tactile sweep of the chamber. Ruger's SR series requires the same maneuver; reaching in to flip up the extractor prior to disassembly. How people do that and still fail to see or feel a cartridge loaded in the breech is beyond me.

Good Advice, that simply cannot be repeated enough.

Well, seeing that most accidental shootings are with "unloaded" guns, I tend to worry about those.

Yeah, sounds odd that I worry more about a supposedly unloaded gun over a supposedly loaded gun.

But, think about it. If they think it's loaded, they are usually careful. If they think it's not loaded they get careless.

I just assume they're "unloaded", that is, loaded but they assume it isn't.

By the way, this guy failed the first step of cleaning a gun. Making sure to clear it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been getting into the habit of clearing the chamber even after I know I just cleared it earlier. Feel completely OCD

Not OCD. Smart.

I don't understand.

"Let me just put my finger over the barrel to remove the slide without racking the slide back or doing a visual inspection."

So much fail. I feel bad for the guy, but better him than someone nearby. I drop the magazine, rack the slide, rack again and hold up for visual inspection (do I see light?), then point in a safe direction with fingers clear of the barrel before pulling trigger / moving forward with disassembly. I'm sure plenty of guys here do the same.

Dumb question but when I strip my glocks the worst thing that's going to happen to my hand if I do nd is have my palm cut. I feel wrapping your thumb over the barrel to hold it after you use your off hand to push the slide back while making sure your clear of the barrel is the most comfortable way to disassemble one. Am I wrong here? I know the op said m&p but same rules apply in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom