• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For Citizens who carry daily - Carry Extra Mags or a Rifle/ammo in your vehicle?

Do you carry extra mags or keep a rifle/shotgun/ammo in your vehicle?

• I ONLY carry a sidearm with one mag

Votes: 100 47.8%
  • I carry a sidearm with multiple mags (Or two sidearms)

Votes: 92 44.0%
  • I keep a Rifle / Shotgun / Ammo in my vehicle

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I both keep a Rifle/Shotgun in my vehicle AND carry extra mags

Votes: 13 6.2%

• Total voters
Do you carry extra mags on you? Keep a rifle/shotgun locked in your trunk or anything?

I personally just carry my sidearm with no extra mags. I don't ever hope to have to use my carry, but I'm curious as to the results of the poll.

Edited to keep the poll and topic on-track.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
So you carry an empty weapon, which means you will most likely have no time to load it before you are bleeding on the ground.

You say you have no intention of using it, which presumably means you don't have the will to use it when you need to.

Why do you even bother carrying a gun at all?

If you must know, I carry a G17 with one in the chamber and 16 in the magazine and another magazine with 17 rounds on the opposite side of the belt.

And I do intend to use it.

When I had a car [laugh] I usually kept an extra pistol mag in there somewhere, plus one or two on my person, and a coach gun in a locked box in the trunk with a bunch of buckshot, plus extra pistol and rifle ammo/magazines in that same box.

So you carry an empty weapon, which means you will most likely have no time to load it before you are bleeding on the ground.

You say you have no intention of using it, which presumably means you don't have the will to use it when you need to.

Why do you even bother carrying a gun at all?

If you must know, I carry a G17 with one in the chamber and 16 in the magazine and another magazine with 17 rounds on the opposite side of the belt.

And I do intend to use it.

I'm not looking for a debate or your personal opinion. You're also taking some of what I said out of the intended context. Bottom line: You don't know my story/history so don't judge or presume and tell me that my carrying of a firearm is worthless.

When I said I never intended to use it I was referring more to the intention to NEED to shoot it. Should that situation arise, your chambered G17 will fire faster than my unchambered G21. I highly doubt a time will arise where I'll not have time to chamber a round real fast given my experience vs. the average idiot out there. If I should have a shoot out with you, sure you'd win. I'll take my chances against a random Joe though.

I carry a sidearm with 13+1, plus another 13 round mag and a 10 round mag. I haven't gotten to the point where I keep a loaded AK in my trunk yet, but I'm sure it's just around the corner... [laugh]

(Not knocking people who keep a rifle or shotgun in their trunk, by the way. You do as you like, it doesn't bother me.)

10+1 in a 229, with an additional mag. If I'm carrying my 442 I carry a speed strip with an additional 6 rounds. May I ask why you don't carry with a chambered round? I have no intention of flaming you, just curious what your reasons are.

In a semi auto you should always carry an extra mag regardless of round count. The extra mag is the solution to the jam.

10+1 in a 229, with an additional mag. If I'm carrying my 442 I carry a speed strip with an additional 6 rounds. May I ask why you don't carry with a chambered round? I have no intention of flaming you, just curious what your reasons are.

Just from my own experience when I first started carrying a 1911 style firearm I was concerned about leaving a round chambered. What can I tell you I grew up in MA and still had that "it could happen" attitude and was concerned if I was ever to drop or some other accident causing the firearm to discharge. It took me almost a year of CC before I got comfortable enough to keep the gun in its ready state. Soon there after I decided I could not conceal it well enough so I moved to a snubbie. Just my own 2 cents on the question.

I'm not looking for a debate or your personal opinion. You're also taking some of what I said out of the intended context. Bottom line: You don't know my story/history so don't judge or presume and tell me that my carrying of a firearm is worthless.

When I said I never intended to use it I was referring more to the intention to NEED to shoot it. Should that situation arise, your chambered G17 will fire faster than my unchambered G21. I highly doubt a time will arise where I'll not have time to chamber a round real fast given my experience vs. the average idiot out there. If I should have a shoot out with you, sure you'd win. I'll take my chances against a random Joe though.

OMFG.

i dont care if your Todd Jarrett (sp) himself. whats the point of carrying an unchambered gun and being complacent?

how old are you?

No +1 due to the lack of a reliable safety on the g21. I'm very athletic and do a lot outdoors activities / rock climbing, ice climbing etc.. I've had more than a few occasions where the firearm gets banged up and the trigger is pulled back when I get home despite the trigger safety.

So basically, if I carried the damn thing chambered I'd probably end up shooting myself with it. If this didn't occur, I'd carry it chambered. I'm also not much of a handgun guy; I only own the g21 and a .357 DE Mag I inherited.

Perhaps I just need a better Holster.

Regardless, thanks for the mature comments guys :)

No +1 due to the lack of a reliable safety on the g21. I'm very athletic and do a lot outdoors activities / rock climbing, ice climbing etc.. I've had more than a few occasions where the firearm gets banged up and the trigger is pulled back when I get home despite the trigger safety.

So basically, if I carried the damn thing chambered I'd probably end up shooting myself with it. If this didn't occur, I'd carry it chambered. I'm also not much of a handgun guy; I only own the g21 and a .357 DE Mag I inherited.

If the trigger is being depressed during daily activities, you seriously need a new holster.

I carry mine with one in the chamber + 1 extra mag.

I have tossed around the idea of using one of those Santa Cruz gun locks to secure an AR in my Trunk. That's just for shits and giggles though. I think it would look cool when I popped the trunk.

Like this:
images

Knowing my luck though, I'd scare somebody and end up in jail. I hate this state.

I've had more than a few occasions where the firearm gets banged up and the trigger is pulled back when I get home despite the trigger safety.
You either have a defective pistol or an inadequate holster.

But instead of fixing either, you revert to a substandard carry method.

that_guy_tshirt-p2355405289221734874xmd_400.jpg

Yes, you need a WAY better holster.

-Mike

Or you didn't have the striker back when you inserted your magazine. The one time I've found my M&P sear unloaded unexpectedly was my brain fart, not a discharge.

complacency.jpg

Just from my own experience when I first started carrying a 1911 style firearm I was concerned about leaving a round chambered. What can I tell you I grew up in MA and still had that "it could happen" attitude and was concerned if I was ever to drop or some other accident causing the firearm to discharge. It took me almost a year of CC before I got comfortable enough to keep the gun in its ready state. Soon there after I decided I could not conceal it well enough so I moved to a snubbie. Just my own 2 cents on the question.

I was the exact same way, and I feel no shame in admitting it. Honestly, the weapons training I received in the USMC taught me to be extremely paranoid about a "hot" weapon. The ONLY time you chamber a round is on the firing line, and if you have no prior experience with firearms it really conditions you to almost fear condition 1 weapons. When we were gearing up for a deployment it took FOREVER just to learn how to transition from a rifle to a pistol, because it involved letting the loaded rifle hang freely by it's sling while you drew your pistol. Everyone gets trained to always have one hand on their rifle whenever it's in condition 1, so that was a huge mental hurdle for us to get over. MPs and even DoD civilian police aren't even allowed to carry their duty pistols in condition 1. The military is retarded like that when it comes to safety. It took several months of carrying as a civilian before I realized that a) there weren't any staff sergeants around to yell at me for having a round chambered and b) having a round chambered is actually perfectly safe and it won't just go off on it's own. Now, I feel foolish for having been so concerned about it. That's why I asked the OP for his reasons. Not everyone feels comfortable with condition 1, but becoming comfortable with it should be your objective.

Wow dude.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a younger guy and sure I'm not perfect and I'm admittedly fairly new to firearms. This is just what I'm doing, and I have my reasons for doing it. I apologize that I've not gotten a new Holster as I'm not perfect. Thanks to the guys who have advice for me and know common courtesy/respect. I actually do value and appreciate your opinions and come to these forums because of it. I've already met a couple REALLY great people IRL from this forum and plan on continuing to do so.

So bottom line: I don't carry my firearm chambered due to not having a decent holster at this point in time and PERSONALLY don't think it's that big of a deal right now -- that's my choice.

But damn guys. Why do you feel the need to hate so much? You don't even put it in full words to elaborate -- you throw out blanket statements and some picture conveying me to be a complete idiot because I personally don't care much that my firearm is carried unchambered. You'll probably go ahead and elaborate now, but I don't care.

I'd just like to politely request that you guys keep your comments to yourself and leave me alone -- It's not like my unchambered firearm effects anyone but myself in any way/shape/form.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a younger guy and sure I'm not perfect and I'm admittedly fairly new to firearms. This is just what I'm doing, and I have my reasons for doing it. I apologize that I've not gotten a new Holster as I'm not perfect. Thanks to the guys who have advice for me and know common courtesy/respect. I actually do value and appreciate your opinions and come to these forums because of it. I've already met a couple REALLY great people IRL from this forum and plan on continuing to do so.

So bottom line: I don't carry my firearm chambered due to not having a decent holster at this point in time and PERSONALLY don't think it's that big of a deal right now -- that's my choice.

But damn guys. Why do you feel the need to hate so much? You don't even put it in full words to elaborate -- you throw out blanket statements and some picture conveying me to be a complete idiot because I personally don't care much that my firearm is carried unchambered. You'll probably go ahead and elaborate now, but I don't care.

I'd just like to politely request that you guys keep your comments to yourself and leave me alone -- It's not like my unchambered firearm effects anyone but myself in any way/shape/form.

i appoligize.

your unchambered firearm actually DOES affect me, my family and innocent bystanders because you openly admitted to carrying w/o one in the pipe due to a crappy holster.

then, IF (god forbid) the need arises, you would be fumbling to rack the slide... possibly a stray round or two, get killed, BG makes off with your gun? again, i appolgize for being "mean" ... chilax, it's the internet.

think about the Glock design: http://www.glock.com/english/index_safety.htm

then get more familiar with your gun. shoot it!

how many rounds have you shot through it?

ETA: correct link: http://www.glock.com/english/index_safety.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you feel the need to hate so much?

Because you're doing it wrong. There's either the right way to do something or the wrong way to do something and you're doing it the wrong way, know you're doing it the wrong way, but choose to consciously keep doing it the wrong way. No one is holding anything against you, do it the right way and all will be forgotten and everyone can move on in life.

Edit: I was probably in your shoes myself when I got my license only 3 years ago. Now I'm a fully certified instructor and have taught more students at MFS than I can count. Slow it down, do a lot of reading/research, and LISTEN to those who KNOW what they are talking about. That's pretty much the key to be successful at anything.

Last edited:
Bad stuff happens real fast. If (God forbid) you ever need your gun, you're going to really need it. It won't do you any good unloaded.

I carry a spare mag (or 2) for my carry gun and always keep one in the chamber. I'd keep two in the chamber if they'd fit.

Wow dude.
Yeah, what he said. And its a tough crowd from the jump. Especially when you dangle "wrong" like a target.

I carry what I carry, every day, with spare rounds. Vehicle carry depends. I haven't found a reliable/secure manner to do so that gives quick access.

Because you're doing it wrong. There's either the right way to do something or the wrong way to do something and you're doing it the wrong way, know you're doing it the wrong way, but choose to consciously keep doing it the wrong way. No one is holding anything against you, do it the right way and all will be forgotten and everyone can move on in life.
Reps for this. I honestly never really thought about it, but you're right. I'll make it a priority to get a top notch holster that can hold up to my demands. Just being such a rifle guy and not caring about handguns much I've really slacked in the department and honestly neglected to put thought into it.

To Wolf: I have about 2k rounds through the G21 -- a reasonable amount, but not a ton. This is the only sidearm I fire frequently, period. I honestly just need a new holster for it so the tigger doesn't get pulled during physical activities. The only time I ever have it chambered is when I'm going through a bad area or have a lot of cash on me (I take deposits on motor vehicles and often have upwards of 5k~ in cash on the way to the bank).

I'd just like to apologize myself if I came off as an ass or arrogant defending myself -- I'm not used to harsh criticism but I probably deserved it. It's a character trait I need to work on.

I hope we can squash the back and forth on this matter and get the OP back on topic --

I'm going to edit the original post so the debate can end as I'm really curious as to how the poll turns out. If anyone wants to make a topic about people carrying unchambered firearms I'll chime in with my sadface and you're all more than welcome to bag on me there :)

Back
Top Bottom