For anyone that thinks bird shot is "good enough"

What if you got multiple kids in the house you are defending with a shotgun. While bird shot not ideal, you don't want shot or bullets going through walls right?
Whats the best option?

After watching lots and lots of video tests, I've come to the conclusion that anything that will reliably puncture a human being with a reasonable expectation of heavily damaging that human will go through several walls. It is what it is. Know your target and what's beyond.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not talking shit. I found it immensely interesting to see such a presumably simple task go wrong like that. I didn’t know if anyone else happened to see it.

Work a match as an RO or SO. You'll be amazed at how people screw up reloads, keep pulling the trigger while at slide lock, forget to flip safeties off, forget their stage plan, etc, etc. The buzzer goes off and the brain stops working. That's a very low stress situation compared to what he was dealing with. I can only imagine the adrenaline level in his bloodstream at the time.

What if you got multiple kids in the house you are defending with a shotgun. While bird shot not ideal, you don't want shot or bullets going through walls right?
Whats the best option?

Everything that I've read, and every instructor that's covered this say that in your home the first thing you do is get everyone in a "safe" location or locations. You need to know where your spouse and kids are and ideally get them behind you. The classic problem is that bullets don't know the difference between "bad" people and "good" people.

It really is "know your target and what's behind it".

Perhaps more important than the fact that birdshot sucks as an anti-personnel option; did anyone else catch the bungled reload?
Well.......he had been shot. You can train and train but until your bleeding and the adrenaline is pumping nobody knows how they will perform.

I do give him some props for the initial return of fire. Definitely on target and took the fight of the guy. He did his job and got to go home.

Work a match as an RO or SO. You'll be amazed at how people screw up reloads, keep pulling the trigger while at slide lock, forget to flip safeties off, forget their stage plan, etc, etc. The buzzer goes off and the brain stops working. That's a very low stress situation compared to what he was dealing with. I can only imagine the adrenaline level in his bloodstream at the time.
Some say he fumbled the reload.....but after actually being shot at a couple times myself.....he did just fine in my opinion. You can train and train on those tasks......but once it's real it's very difficult to manipulate small motor skills. My thought is the training still helps.......imagine if you had never trained at all how you'd do in the real situation.

I learned to love the Federal Tactical w/ Flight-Control Wad 00 Buck 8 or 9 pellet. Sooo more accurate, and with tighter groups than anything I've ever shot.
View attachment 342129

And for slightly further away...
Federal Hydra-Shok 1 oz rifled slug.

View attachment 342132

Both performed exceptionally well in a Defensive Shotgun Class in:
Mossberg 590A1
Rem 870 Tac
IAC HAWK 982
I use Winchester Super-X OO buckshot and 1oz. slugs in the modified 870 that I use for home defense. Six rounds in the mag tube and six more in a sidesaddle carrier.

The cop was a true hero in those circumstances. And he saw it all the way through even after his backup cars arrived . . . amazing.

Two critiques (of course): As mentioned know what is beyond he was taking all kinds of shots with no idea where they were going
and around15:30 it looks like he muzzle sweeps the female copy I see a red dot on her at one point.

Back
Top Bottom