For anyone that thinks bird shot is "good enough"

Officer takes 41 bird shot pellets to his shoulder at point blank range, doesn't even phase him.
WARNING: Video is graphic if anyone here is sensitive to some blood or gunshot wounds.

So there's Bird shot and Buck shot, who makes Man Shot...?

Oh, and that guy needs a Waaaambulance...

Last edited:
The Harrell-enator has a series on birdshot for home defense. There's a vast difference between trap and skeet low velocity loads and magnum turkey loads.
Yeah I would hate to get hit by a 1 1/2 oz field load of any type of shot. It would be a different story if the cop caught that in the face.

Yeah I would hate to get hit by a 1 1/2 oz field load of any type of shot. It would be a different story if the cop caught that in the face.

I've read a case where a delivery truck driver got shot in the face by a 12 gauge at a distance of three feet. Truck driver lived. Mitchell v. Archibald & Kendall, Inc., 573 F.2d 429, 431 (7th Cir. 1978). Had to have been light loads.

I, personally, would not want anything less than 2.75" 00 buck for home defense.

I've read a case where a delivery truck driver got shot in the face by a 12 gauge at a distance of three feet. Truck driver lived. Mitchell v. Archibald & Kendall, Inc., 573 F.2d 429, 431 (7th Cir. 1978). Had to have been light loads.

I, personally, would not want anything less than 2.75" 00 buck for home defense.
I’m with you. I wouldn’t want anything smaller than #4 or better yet #1 buck.
That being said if you caught a field or trap load in the face, yeah sure you could survive. Most likely going to take the fight out of you when you’re missing your eyeballs.

I love this comparisons video.

View: https://youtu.be/rhZf_x8Esms

I’ll leave this here for the people that love wound ballistic data. These articles are amazing and are the science and studies behind most of what we know and trust for terminal ballistics.
It’s also awesome to see the industry changes and the trends over the decade. To see myths dispelled and liars called out.
Lots to read but if you want to know what it’s all about these are the articles.

Perhaps more important than the fact that birdshot sucks as an anti-personnel option; did anyone else catch the bungled reload?
Forgetting to drop a mag in that situation is somewhat excusable. Still slightly better than the cop who rolled his firearm on its side as if he was going to throw another 6 shots in his revolver before realizing it was a semi auto last year........

Forgetting to drop a mag in that situation is somewhat excusable. Still slightly better than the cop who rolled his firearm on its side as if he was going to throw another 6 shots in his revolver before realizing it was a semi auto last year........
+1 I'll give him the pass on the reload. He was hit, not sure how bad it was, and the BG was still in the fight as far as he knew. He identified the problem instantly and he got the blaster back in action in a couple of seconds

Great reaction by the officer. If anything, he was too easy on the perp when dragging him out of the car.

I learned to love the Federal Tactical w/ Flight-Control Wad 00 Buck 8 or 9 pellet. Sooo more accurate, and with tighter groups than anything I've ever shot.
1585266572935.png

And for slightly further away...
Federal Hydra-Shok 1 oz rifled slug.

1585266828000.png

Both performed exceptionally well in a Defensive Shotgun Class in:
Mossberg 590A1
Rem 870 Tac
IAC HAWK 982

+1 I'll give him the pass on the reload. He was hit, not sure how bad it was, and the BG was still in the fight as far as he knew. He identified the problem instantly and he got the blaster back in action in a couple of seconds

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not talking shit. I found it immensely interesting to see such a presumably simple task go wrong like that. I didn’t know if anyone else happened to see it.

My wife did a funeral for a kid was killed in a drive by with birdshot. All depends on where you get him.

Location, location, location.

Also going to get a little morbid here..... My best friend killed himself with a .38 special and it never left his skull. Bullets do strange things when they hit flesh.

Last edited:
I learned to love the Federal Tactical w/ Flight-Control Wad 00 Buck 8 or 9 pellet. Sooo more accurate, and with tighter groups than anything I've ever shot.
View attachment 342129

And for slightly further away...
Federal Hydra-Shok 1 oz rifled slug.

View attachment 342132

Both performed exceptionally well in a Defensive Shotgun Class in:
Mossberg 590A1
Rem 870 Tac
IAC HAWK 982

luckygunner has a great 00 buck video and this load was the best IIRC. Hornady makes a similar load with a flight control style wad that was right there too.

Officer takes 41 bird shot pellets to his shoulder at point blank range, doesn't even phase him.
WARNING: Video is graphic if anyone here is sensitive to some blood or gunshot wounds.

That close hes lucky it did not hit a larger body mass drectly. Might not kill you but is going to be NFG. At that distance alot of the shot is still traveling with the wad.

My wife did a funeral for a kid was killed in a drive by with birdshot. All depends on where you get him.

Location, location, location.

Also going to get a little morbid here..... My best friend killed himself with a .38 special and it never left his skull. Bullets doe strange things when they hit flesh.

Damn...

I've been hit with bird shot but it was at a decent distance and didn't pierce skin. Didn't really hurt either but I was in motorcycle gear and a full face helmet. Getting hit point blank with a Daisy pump pellet rifle that did break skin hurt a lot more.

Damn...

I've been hit with bird shot but it was at a decent distance and didn't pierce skin. Didn't really hurt either but I was in motorcycle gear and a full face helmet. Getting hit point blank with a Daisy pump pellet rifle that did break skin hurt a lot more.

I can’t recall all the details, but I remember saying damn what a way to go by bird shot. I mean get hit in the neck the right way in an artery and you’ll bleed out real quick.

I thought the point of having a shotgun was so you can go outside and shoot TWO BLASTS into the air, and that will make the bad guy go away.

Also its nice to see one of these videos where its not an obvious and sick overuse of force.

Last edited:
What if you got multiple kids in the house you are defending with a shotgun. While bird shot not ideal, you don't want shot or bullets going through walls right?
Whats the best option?

You could load the shotshell with dimes...

Back
Top Bottom