For all those who are considering a revolver

At the muzzel of a snub the .22 lr produces about 150 ft lbs of energy-the .22 mwr about 320 ft/lbs (40 grains) -I- submit to all that in skilled hands any civilian with either is well protected from both physical and legal threats- my opinion only of course.

We routinely practice with and carry either a lcr in 9/.22 wmr depending on the environment; the wmr for human concerns, the 9 when in the woods.

As for the .38 , can't go wrong.

At the muzzel of a snub the .22 lr produces about 150 ft lbs of energy-the .22 mwr about 320 ft/lbs (40 grains) -I- submit to all that in skilled hands any civilian with either is well protected from both physical and legal threats- my opinion only of course.

We routinely practice with and carry either a lcr in 9/.22 wmr depending on the environment; the wmr for human concerns, the 9 when in the woods.

As for the .38 , can't go wrong.

According to BBI the 22 Mag does not have any increase over the 22 in a snub. They yield essentially the same velocity with the same weight bullets.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Results

Never thought about that before. Just thinking about it... Without moon clips, when a round goes off, the casing slams against the recoil shield. The other rounds, however, are only affected by the movement of the gun. With a moon clip, at least the adjacent rounds would be backed into the recoil shield to some extent along with the casing of the round that just fired. The rounds on the opposite side of the cylinder might be spared by the moon clip bending slightly. Anyway, as the recoil kicks in, the rounds would be pulled back the other way as without moon clips. The bullets are going to want to be stationary during all of this, so the movement of the clip backwards into the recoil shield when firing might have an additional pulling effect on the bullets. Slamming into the recoil shield would have the opposite effect, but the pulling, pushing, and then pulling again might have more of a loosening effect, tending to overcome friction between the casing and the bullet, than just the normal pulling of the recoil on an unclipped round in another charge hole. Of course this doesn't quantify anything. The added effect might be insignificant. Furthermore, with moon clips there's no chance of sending a round through more recoil cycles than there are charge holes (minus one for the round itself)...unless you go out of your way to make that happen.
whole lot of over think...you win! [banghead] [laugh]

Michael, tnks for catching that error I had intended to compare .22 lr at 50+ and 9mm at about 320. Speer has a self defense .22 wmr for short barrels (2") and will, according to the Company, yield 98 ft big difference over the lr but no where near the 222 ft lbs for .38/Speer/self defense for short barrels which gets trounced by the Speer 9mm at 320 or so ft lbs.

Michael, tnks for catching that error I had intended to compare .22 lr at 50+ and 9mm at about 320. Speer has a self defense .22 wmr for short barrels (2") and will, according to the Company, yield 98 ft big difference over the lr but no where near the 222 ft lbs for .38/Speer/self defense for short barrels which gets trounced by the Speer 9mm at 320 or so ft lbs.
No prob. Thank you for the detailed info and the good conversation. This forum can be lacking unless you like cat memes and political bashing.

Back
Top Bottom