• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For all those reloaders out there wondering which manual to buy...

I was at the Cabela's in Scarborough last night and bought their last pound of H335- on a more related note, I noticed Hodgdon released their newest reloading manual (I would call it more of a magazine form but who cares, right?) so I decided to pick it up in-store for $9.99 (cheaper than most online stores have it).

What an awesome manual. They have a really concise section that describes all the powders that the Hodgdon group manufactures (Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR) in addition to 5000+ loads for pistol, rifle and shotgun. Additionally, they have a really cool writeup of their new CFE223 powder (which I am going to try myself soon) that has some pretty phenomenal results in (hint, they borescope before/after using it).

If I had to recommend a reloading manual, I would recommend two manuals: Speer's latest (I have the 13th edition and love it, so the newer one is probably just as good) in addition to this Hodgdon manual. All told, you're probably $40 into a reloading manual setup that is a comprehensive guide to reloading steps (Speer guide) and an extensive list of potential loads (Hodgdon guide). You can get both of these at Cabela's (I know for sure) and I think probably at Bass Pro as well, if you don't want to order online.

The 2013 Annual Reloading Manual is the 10th consecutive from Hodgdon Hodgdon-2013-Annual-Reloading-Manual ? AmmoLand.com Shooting Sports News
Amazon.com: Speer Reloading Manual Number 14: Speer Bullets: Sports & Outdoors

Yes, you're partially correct- however, the articles in the Hodgdon manual, along with the layout of reloading procedures, equipment, etc. are what make manuals worth it, in my opinion. I didn't take a class or anything like that to learn how to reload; I researched it on my own, got a book or two, did some internet research and here I am today, still with my digits and appendage.

With the age of the internet, why bother buying a reloading book? I honestly find everything here, or the Powder MFGs various websites.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Chris

Back
Top Bottom