• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For all the empty chamber guys

The best video was posted by Derek years ago. Owner of a jewelry store is shot to death trying to chamber a round.
Maybe someone can find it.

I think 5 years old is plenty old enough to teach kids about safety. Shooting really depends on the individual kid. My son started shooting with a single shot pellet gun at 5. He used to stand on a milk crate and rest the rifle on the deck railing. He also started to recite the safety rules. He got his first 22 rifle at 6. One daughter did not shoot until she was 11 and my youngest is 15 now and has no interest in shooting.

But all of them learned about firearms safety as soon as they were old enough to understand "NO". As in " NO! Don't put your hand on a hot stove!" or "No, Don't put a fork in an electrical outlet!"
I think they teach kids "stop, drop and roll" and "stranger danger" in pre-school and kindergarten.

Carry gun, nightstand gun, shit hits the fan rifle, all have one in the pipe and spare magazines handy. All are secure and kids taught not to play with guns. More worried about other peoples guns than mine. Guys that take firearms seriously are not the issue. It's the guy that doesn't, that keeps a gun in a shoebox in his bedroom closet that you have to worry about. He thinks his kid will never find it. He is wrong.
The 870 that we keep for home defense has 3 rounds of slug and 3 rounds of OO buck in the tube along with 6 more rounds of slug and buck in a sidesaddle carrier mounted to the gun. Speedfeed stocks and. buttstock carriers are OK, but not an option on this shotgun because it has a top-folding stock and pistol grip. Chamber empty and stored in a V-Line quick-access safe along with a Mini-14 with 10 round magazines (I have FID only). Best compromise between fast availability and MA storage laws plus two very young daughters at home.

Reviving an old thread for a story that I never heard/read.

Story is from 2018, seems to point to a fatality during a bear attack as a result of Israeli carry and someone unfamiliar with firearms under stress.

Someone butchering an animal in the wild where there are known predators should always have a weapon close by at all times.

Bear attack

Reviving an old thread for a story that I never heard/read.

Story is from 2018, seems to point to a fatality during a bear attack as a result of Israeli carry and someone unfamiliar with firearms under stress.

Someone butchering an animal in the wild where there are known predators should always have a weapon close by at all times.

Bear attack

Yes, close by, large enough in caliber, loaded and in the hands of a competent shooter keeping watch while the other is doing the butchering. [thumbsup]

Sort of like if you buy two lottery tickets you have twice as good a chance of winning. Can't argue with that. He should have had one in the pipe. Can't argue with that, either. But now that we have that out of the way, I like neither his execution nor his tactics facing multiple armed attackers. I don't think the outcome changes much when you tweak the circumstances by putting a round in the chamber and resetting the scenario. He might get one.
But if you buy 2 lottery tickets you don't have twice as much chance at winning. You have two chances in 13,983,816 (mass mega), instead of one chance. Off topic, but kind of a numbers and grammer nazi here [puke]
fwiw, I was taught not to trust a safety,and to treat every firearm as if it's loaded, so of my 10 pistols, only the M9 and 1911 have a safety, and I don't carry those, or use the one on my M9 as I hate DA. I also don't plan on buckling my seatbelt while skidding towards the lightpole, thus there's always one in the chamber when carrying. Keeping the finger straight is my prime directive.

Last edited:
Yes, close by, large enough in caliber, loaded and in the hands of a competent shooter keeping watch while the other is doing the butchering. [thumbsup]

That is how we used to pick blackberries in the large blackberry field years ago. The field had to be 15+ acres in size and was always full of bear getting their fill. When a group of us went to fill tubs with berries, one person was put on watch up on the hill to keep an eye out for bear and shoot it if need be. One day, a F&G officer said "Smart move on your part" and even took watch for a little while.

This is why I carry my 10mm when at our NH house. There have been plenty of bear sightings over the years, and between family and pets, I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Wife gives me crap about carrying up there all the time...

Seems funny to me how the people who think they aren't skilled enough to carry a round in the chamber also think they are somehow skilled enough to carry a gun in public and fire it safely with friends, family, and other "no shoots" downrange and in the immediate area.

What kind of accuracy do you get out of that method?

At SD range of typically around arms length? I'll hit you with all six unless you start running after the first few. At which point I would transition to my normal CCW while getting the f*** OOD.

My winter coat is a 3/4 length P-coat. Getting to my CCW under it is at least a 5+ second process if the coat is closed. So I carry a shrouded hammer snubby in my pocket. I have practiced it at the range with a few shit jackets that were past their prime. Train it the same way you would firing a semi from the hip. Plant the base of the gun or your wrist tight against your hip or side to stabilize the gun. It is a much easier with a revolver since there is no moving slide forcing you to roll your wrist to keep from getting hit. Just plant it against your body tight.

Of course the range is the range and real life isn't so in RL it'll be what it'll be. But that's how I approach it and how I train for it. As for the original thread topic, one in the chamber at all times.

I don't necessarily go for the whole my way or the highway attitude in regards to "carry hot, or carry not", I always think something is better than nothing. It's just a matter of understanding that, like anything else in life there will be pros and cons to your decision. I don't think it's anyone elses place to tell anyone else how to carry. I do, however, think it's your job to understand certain ramifications that may arise from your choice. Like it or not, this can be a consequence of carrying empty, much like ND's can be a consequence of carrying hot if not practicing safe handling.

Did they explain in the video why he got in a gunfight in the first place? (Instead of just taking the loss of the money?)

I see in the video that the robber was wearing rubber gloves. That's a bad sign, I'd guess.

Was this a gang hit on his son (masquerading as a robbery) and the guy knew it, so he had nothing to lose?

This is why I carry my 10mm when at our NH house. There have been plenty of bear sightings over the years, and between family and pets, I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Wife gives me crap about carrying up there all the time...

This is NH. You should be carrying all the time. That is the way of life here. My wife gives me crap too, but it is because she gets tired of rolling over on the AR. 😝

If you don't trust yourself with a loaded weapon, you should not be carrying one />Close thread

[thumbsup] or if it is the pistol, get one that is tested, proven and you have trigger time with. I have heard some will not carry cocked and locked, won't carry without a thumb safety for instance.

Back
Top Bottom