• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FOPA, specifically in a minivan, when travelling through MA with handgun

Sorry if I confused you, I was first asking about carrying concealed (glock 27) but while on the subject of guns in cars I went off subject a little and asked about transporting my AR. All good info, thanks for the replys.

Last I looked, the Ruger 10/22 was not considered to be large capacity.

Depends on who you ask. Some dealers think they are and thus won't sell them to a FID holder. Score another win for ambiguity!

The last time I purchased a pistol I brought my own lockable case for transporting it home. I have a Chrysler minivan that has "stow and go" seats and just put the case in the storage area in front of the seat and put the floor mats in place. Everything is lock up and out of sight.

The last time I purchased a pistol I brought my own lockable case for transporting it home. I have a Chrysler minivan that has "stow and go" seats and just put the case in the storage area in front of the seat and put the floor mats in place. Everything is lock up and out of sight.

I don't think floor mats would be considered a "lock" by most of our fine constabulary.

Depends on who you ask. Some dealers think they are and thus won't sell them to a FID holder. Score another win for ambiguity!

Yup. From a literal reading of the statute I think it is large capacity. But EOPS/GCAB preferred to use convoluted logic instead...

Last I looked, the Ruger 10/22 was not considered to be large capacity.

Some models do ship with the 25 round Ruger-branded magazine.

As I recently posted in another thread, this is an issue which also impacts the Ruger Mini-14.

Originally, both were shipped from the manufacturer with only 10-round magazines, and were therefore FID compliant. Recently, Ruger has started shipping some models with magazines in excess of 10 rounds.

The unanswered question is whether the models that ship with 10-round magazines are still FID compliant, or are both rifles now considered large capacity, making FID holders who own one instant felons.

It's become a gray area.

william_b_ruger_sr.jpg

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun." -Bill Ruger

(He must be spinning in his grave.)

As I recently posted in another thread, this is an issue which also impacts the Ruger Mini-14.

Originally, both were shipped from the manufacturer with only 10-round magazines, and were therefore FID compliant. Recently, Ruger has started shipping some models with magazines in excess of 10 rounds.

The unanswered question is whether the models that ship with 10-round magazines are still FID compliant, or are both rifles now considered large capacity, making FID holders who own one instant felons.

It's become a gray area.

I did get an answer from Ron Glidden on this, but he and I both agree that the DEFINITIVE answer will be what any DA considers it!

So it's a gray area now.

I did get an answer from Ron Glidden on this, but he and I both agree that the DEFINITIVE answer will be what any DA considers it!

So it's a gray area now.

And that would be just peachy for the folks with FIDs who currently have Mini-14s or 10/22s.

And that would be just peachy for the folks with FIDs who currently have Mini-14s or 10/22s.

I know!

Let's face it, legal gun owners are "easy pickings" when any DA looking to "advance his/her career" wants to "look tough on crime" by going on TV with a news conference (and preferably lots of photos . . . shades of Alice's Restaurant upgraded by technology) about arresting someone with an illegal evil assault weapon!

GCAB, I was told, has no intent to put the 10/22 on the large-cap list. However, they put the M&P 15-22 on the large-cap list and the situation is exactly the same for both wrt what is shipped and to where. So there is no logic to these decisions.

I don't think floor mats would be considered a "lock" by most of our fine constabulary.
The mats are put back in place to hide the fact there is a storage underneath. As I said the firearm is in a locked container and in the storage area. Out of sight out of mind so to speak.

Not to be pedantic, but what you got was an opinion.

OK, it is the "opinion" of GCAB that it is still FID compliant.

Not to pick nits, but what you might get from a DA is an indictment! [thinking]

The mats are put back in place to hide the fact there is a storage underneath. As I said the firearm is in a locked container and in the storage area. Out of sight out of mind so to speak.

Yup, sounds fine to me.

In case it wasn't obvious I was making a joke. [grin]

OK, it is the "opinion" of GCAB that it is still FID compliant.

Not to pick nits, but what you might get from a DA is an indictment! [thinking]

Yeah, if one mistook Glidden's opinion for fact and possessed an "evil high-cap 10/22," one most certainly could get an indictment. Add it to the list.

What we need is a list of what it's OK to have.....I'm sure that's a novel concept......

/sarcasm

I have that list for you right here . . .

- A thought to move out of MA as soon as humanly possible . . .

That's it, all inclusive. It's the only thing that someone can't nail you for if they wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom