FOPA Question - Traveling Through No-Go States

Wouldn't 84 put you in NY for only about 75 or 80 miles (state line near Danbury CT to the PA state line)?
I drive that chunk several times per year. Lots of speed traps, but keep it under 85 and you will not be pulled over. It's a 65 through there now and has been for several years.

It's a low likelihood, but but high potential threat activity. Being smart about it reduces the likelihood ever more. The few outliers make the news, which is what you want to avoid.

You people worry more than my mother about shit that has a very low probability to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the problem comes in when you have a breakdown or even worse, an accident, the car gets hauled off somewhere, and someone calls the cops saying "i found this case that looks like it has guns in it...."

Who would be going through your vehicle? The tow companies aren't supposed to do that. I know some do, but it would probably be considered a B&E of a motor vehicle. I've had a number of vehicles towed over the years post accident (my kids, not mine) and I've never seen any evidence that any of them searched through the cars before I sent my tow guy out to retrieve them.

the problem comes in when you have a breakdown or even worse, an accident, the car gets hauled off somewhere, and someone calls the cops saying "i found this case that looks like it has guns in it...."

Doesn't happen. Tow companies generally mind their own business. Hell when I wrecked my 2009 camry on rte 2 the tow guy just towed it, done. I came back a day later and took the toolcase out of the trunk, which had a couple of loaded 40 round AK mags I had stashed in it for some
reason.

Unless your stuff is sprayed out all over the road it's a non issue, and in that case, you have bigger things to worry about (probably survival) than frilly shit like FOPA compliance.

In a typical break-down case, if you're really paranoid, just pay to get the guy to tow you out of the hot zone. Done.

-Mike

Doesn't happen. Tow companies generally mind their own business. Hell when I wrecked my 2009 camry on rte 2 the tow guy just towed it, done. I came back a day later and took the toolcase out of the trunk, which had a couple of loaded 40 round AK mags I had stashed in it for some
reason.

Oh my, things must have changed a lot in the last few decades. [rofl]

It was "well known" that if you got towed after an accident everything you had in the car/trunk was just gone.

...I want to print out a copy of the FOPA legalese to have with me through the no-go states so could someone help me with a link to where I can find a good copy of this?
Can I stop at a rest stop for gas and a candy bar? Or is stopping limited to stop signs and traffic lights only?

All the links you'll need can be found at the website handgunlaw.us

Once there, for the links to federal laws, click on the "USA" icon and, for the links to each respective state's law, click on the icon for the respective state.

well, when you have had as many "conversations" with NY staties as I have over the years....it comes naturally. They are pricks, go way out of their way to speed trap you.

This is true. We travel I-84 to PA all the time, and they will set up speed traps around the 65mph->55mph switches all the time. Newburgh, especially. Drive the speed limit and you'll be fine.

Also, I wouldn't bother printing out FOPA, or trying to. If you actually need FOPA, that trooper is not going to give a royal **** what you have printed out from your computer - you'll be lawyering up at that point.

Back
Top Bottom