• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FOPA in Massachusetts

Just want to confirm, from what I've read on here, but not from what I understand by reading the MA codes...

I have a CT carry permit and CAN leagally transport my handgun with its 7 round magazines and a box of 40S&W ammo from CT to VT in my car as long as it is unloaded, locked in either my trunk in a sedan or a separate locked box in the back of my Outback wagon. I will only stop for gas and quick snacks along the way.

Last edited:
Quick edit:
separate LOCKED box in the back of my Outback wagon

That's supposed to be how it works. But there may have been successful prosecutions (ie; people who plead guilty to some charge or another) by coming through and getting caught. Each of the cases died on the vine with no public acknowledgement of what happened. Each of the cases where there was a prosecution, the person failed to follow the FOPA storage guidelines and/or had some other weapon with them. In both of those cases, there was some indication in the passenger compartment (or pickup bed) what was in there.

So, don't speed, don't agree to a search of your car if you are pulled over and don't say anything about guns when in the state. Oh, btw, welcome to MA and enjoy your time here.... [rolleyes]

If you're in compliance with FOPA regulations regarding the condition in which your firearms are stored, you will have no problems. The cases I've seen all had persons who were out of FOPA compliance.

The case that get cited most frequently as an example of Mass ignoring involved someone who started out in compliance (i.e., his gun unloaded and in a locked storage compartment separated from any occupants. Unfortunately he removed the gun from that compartment and put it under the driver's seat due to an accident that resulted in damage to the storage compartment. At that point, the gun had only a trigger or similar lock installed, which doesn't satisfy the requirements of FOPA. Yet another reason to use locked cases rather than relying on a locked trunk or similar compartment.

Ken

Thanks for the well-informed responses. I assume the box my Sig came in is sufficient for storage, as long as I place a lock on it. Or does it need to be less obvious as to what is contained inside?

Mass is 53 miles from CT border to Vt border up 91. (if i remember correctly)

Better to pack a cooler and full tank of gas and make a run for it than stop in Mass.

Thanks for the well-informed responses. I assume the box my Sig came in is sufficient for storage, as long as I place a lock on it. Or does it need to be less obvious as to what is contained inside?

If you use a sig box and put it into an outback, DO NOT leave it in the open. Place it in a duffle bag or something else. You don't want to hand PC to a cop.

I noticed that you mentioned a 7 rd mag.

FOPA allows you to transport guns that are not legal in MA, through MA, provided they are legal at trips point of origin and destination.

No need to leave the hi-caps at home.

Don

Mass is 53 miles from CT border to Vt border up 91. (if i remember correctly)

Better to pack a cooler and full tank of gas and make a run for it than stop in Mass.

I noticed that you mentioned a 7 rd mag.

FOPA allows you to transport guns that are not legal in MA, through MA, provided they are legal at trips point of origin and destination.

No need to leave the hi-caps at home.

Don

I completely agree with both of the quoted posts above.

As others have suggested, keep the gun, ammunition, and all related paraphernalia OUT OF SIGHT! Put them inside your luggage.

Even if you end up getting saved by FOPA, I'm reliably informed that getting arrested, even by a misguided State Trooper, will ruin your whole day.

I usually stop for gas in MA since it is cheaper than CT or VT, but will skip that stop when transporting my handgun. No Dunkin Donuts stop either. Great advice from all who have responded, thanks.

While an encounter with a trooper with a mistaken conception of state and federal firearm laws can always be a serious problem, bear in mind that no one has yet cited a single example of such a Mass state trooper. The mistakes have all been on the part of the gun owners. While Mass has a deservedly shitty reputation for gun friendliness, there's no reason to believe that you're more likely to have a Mass trooper fail to grasp FOPA than you are an officer in any other state.

Ken

While an encounter with a trooper with a mistaken conception of state and federal firearm laws can always be a serious problem, bear in mind that no one has yet cited a single example of such a Mass state trooper. The mistakes have all been on the part of the gun owners. While Mass has a deservedly shitty reputation for gun friendliness, there's no reason to believe that you're more likely to have a Mass trooper fail to grasp FOPA than you are an officer in any other state.

Ken

They (cops or prosecutors) haven't given people the benefit of the doubt in the cases we have heard about either so that reputation appears well deserved.

IMHO, I would say if you can, print the FOPA and bring it with you, as it pertains to you. Then follow the recomendations that M1911 stated. So long as you are not a felon or disqualified from owning firearms, and you follow the rules regarding FOPA, you should be ok. I agree that you should keep the firearm unloaded and locked up in a lockable case, out of sight, in a duffle bag, or suit case. I would recommed that, if you can, also lock up any ammo as well in a seperate container, if you decide to bring any with you.

As far as stopping in Ma. Well their is no law that I know of, that prevents you from stopping for gas while in transit. Me, I would have no problem stopping for gas and coffee, if I was in compliance with the law, which if you are, and you have taken the precautions mentioned, out of sight, out of mind, and your not speeding as to get a charge of reckless driving or being an idiot behind the wheel, you should have a nice quiet trip to VT.

If you do get stopped for speeding, the chances of them asking to search are very slim, unless you have other things that make you interesting to the police. In other words, don't paint your self as a target, and wear your seat belt, and just cruise in your car like you didn't have a firearm.

Hope you have a good time in VT, it is beautiful country up there, wish I never left. Shoot safe, drive safe, and have fun

Last I knew trying to tell a cop the laws was the dumbest thing anyone could do in any situation.

They are in command when they pull you over and stop you. Trying to tell them how to do their job by whipping out a print out of FOPA will get you something...most of the time not what you expect.

As far as stopping in Ma. Well their is no law that I know of, that prevents you from stopping for gas while in transit. Me, I would have no problem stopping for gas and coffee, if I was in compliance with the law, which if you are, and you have taken the precautions mentioned, out of sight, out of mind, and your not speeding as to get a charge of reckless driving or being an idiot behind the wheel, you should have a nice quiet trip to VT.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but that stop for coffee and/or gas could be construed as a "destination". [thinking]

If you do get stopped for speeding, the chances of them asking to search are very slim, unless you have other things that make you interesting to the police. In other words, don't paint your self as a target, and wear your seat belt, and just cruise in your car like you didn't have a firearm.

Of course, but for any reason, you get pulled over.

Officer: have you been drinking
you:no
Officer: any weapons in the car
you:yes, but they are all locked up in the back.
officer:...has a choice

This is where murphy either steps in and ruins your day or not.

I agree with the sentiment. I've traveled through mass a dozen times with everything locked up in the back in separate hard cases.

But I also know that things don't always go the way you want them to or wish that they would.

i go straight up 91 at the most 70mph, with em locked in my trunk, and breathe easier when i see "Welcome To Vermont" and stop in B-Boro or maybe that rest area....Is gas much cheaper in Mass then VT or NH??..Anything is cheaper then CT..haha..

I wasn't sure about that one, so I omitted it in my response. Thanks for the addition.
If you are driving from MA to WY, you can't do it in one day. Stopping for the night in OH is not against the law.

Spending a week with your relatives in OH? That I dunno.

In general, though, if you're driving that kind of a distance, the place you stop is likely to be a place where no license is required to own, possess, and transport firearms. Unless you drive through Illinois for some reason. Most of the states in the middle of the country are firearms friendly.

FOPA wouldn't cover it... but since Ohio law allows firearms possession by default, you would be legal there anyway. And then the trip onward would become covered under FOPA again since you were leaving from a legal origin.

Let's suppose you are not a Mass resident and are on RT 91 in Mass on your way from VT to CT with a gun properly locked in the trunk per FOPA when you encounter a bona fide, life or death, self-defense situation. (Imagine that there are bullet holes in your car and witnesses to prove it.) You skid to a stop and remove your gun from the trunk.

Is Massachusetts going to prosecute you for a gun crime? Does it matter if your gun was handgun, or rifle?

I'm not concerned here with any consequences to firing the gun, or injuring anyone, or damaging any property. Only with removing the gun from the locked compartment for self-defense.

Let's suppose you are not a Mass resident and are on RT 91 in Mass on your way from VT to CT with a gun properly locked in the trunk per FOPA when you encounter a bona fide, life or death, self-defense situation. (Imagine that there are bullet holes in your car and witnesses to prove it.) You skid to a stop and remove your gun from the trunk.

Is Massachusetts going to prosecute you for a gun crime? Does it matter if your gun was handgun, or rifle?

I'm not concerned here with any consequences to firing the gun, or injuring anyone, or damaging any property. Only with removing the gun from the locked compartment for self-defense.

Are you "permitted" in CT?

Back
Top Bottom