Food storage...

OK, so this thread by Adam_MA got me thinking I need to do something about getting more food in the house. One of the "problems" is that storage in my house stinks... It is difficult to get room on the shelves for much and still have them be usable. We don't have a pantry, so that would mean storage in the basement which my wife (primary user and re-stocker) just won't use, not to mention it is more than I'm up to storing.

So I started looking around for options and was pleased to see that there ARE options out there for cabinet based FIFO systems, at least for cans.

Here's what I've found:

From YourFoodStorage.com, there are a series of products that are cabinet based, as well as stand alone. Prices start at $37 and go up to $400 for standalone units: http://www.yourfoodstorage.com/storage_shelves
thumbnail.img

There are two sizes of this one available. It looks like it is adjustable/expandable by buying additional parts.

Not FIFO, but allows you to pack in some more, there is this on Amazon for $34:
41K1%2B%2BU-a5L._SL500_AA275_.jpg

ImprovementCatalog.com offers this unit that holds 50 cans for $40:
can-storage-rack-330944.jpg

www.organizeit-online.com seems to have many of the above products at more reasonable prices, plus a couple of others. www.FIFOStorage.com is another one that offers a variety of the above items including some massive storage.

I've been unable to find anything suitable for boxes except for slide out shelves for cabinets. This seems to be the place with the most reasonable selection of DIY cabinet accessories.

So, how do you handle your food storage? Any suggestions? Anyone use any of the above items?

ETA: one thing I like about the above FIFO racks is it should be easy to make a shopping list to restock what is missing: Just glance at the rack and see where there are empty spots.

Last edited:
OK, so this thread by Adam_MA got me thinking I need to do something about getting more food in the house. One of the "problems" is that storage in my house stinks... It is difficult to get room on the shelves for much and still have them be usable. We don't have a pantry, so that would mean storage in the basement which my wife (primary user and re-stocker) just won't use, not to mention it is more than I'm up to storing.

So I started looking around for options and was pleased to see that there ARE options out there for cabinet based FIFO systems, at least for cans.

Here's what I've found:

From YourFoodStorage.com, there are a series of products that are cabinet based, as well as stand alone. Prices start at $37 and go up to $400 for standalone units: http://www.yourfoodstorage.com/storage_shelves
thumbnail.img

Not FIFO, but allows you to pack in some more, there is this on Amazon for $34:
41K1%2B%2BU-a5L._SL500_AA275_.jpg

ImprovementCatalog.com offers this unit that holds 50 cans for $40:
can-storage-rack-330944.jpg

www.organizeit-online.com seems to have many of the above products at more reasonable prices, plus a couple of others. www.FIFOStorage.com is another one that offers a variety of the above items including some massive storage.

I've been unable to find anything suitable for boxes except for slide out shelves for cabinets. This seems to be the place with the most reasonable selection of DIY cabinet accessories.

So, how do you handle your food storage? Any suggestions? Anyone use any of the above items?

ETA: one thing I like about the above FIFO racks is it should be easy to make a shopping list to restock what is missing: Just glance at the rack and see where there are empty spots.

If you do buy one of the FIFO ones, take some detailed pictures. I'd like to build myself some custom ones for my storage system.

The drawer racks/cabinet acessories can be found at Lowes. They have a big selection of things like that.

Anyone know what I would need if I wanted to be making things out of metal like those shelves? I assume a welder, source for metal, and metal cutting tools? Anyone here weld a lot and want to give leasons?

I found one place that had plans. Can't find the link now.

I was considering building my own as well. Should be pretty simple with some luan and particle board (cut slots on the particle board with the table saw to accept the luan, some supports along the way). I may yet do this, but I'm more likely to do this if I just buy them.

Good find Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Doobie, dig around a bit on this site I found plans for built in can racks there but can't find it now. its been a long day for me if can find it tomorrow I'll post it here.

Unless someone else find it first.

Last edited:
Good find Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Doobie, dig around a bit on this site I found plans for built in can racks there but can't find it now. its been a long day for me if can find it tomorrow I'll post it here.

Unless someone else find it first.

At the above site, under Site Index, click the first listing 'Preparedness Information'. Scroll a little over half way down; there's an article 'Rolling shelves'. A pretty good storage idea if you have the space.

I made a shelf out of wood over the weekend I'll try to post pictures it. I'm willing to part with it for my material cost (~$16). It can hold about 28 cans (in two paths); it works ok, cans get stuck sometimes going between the two levels due to friction between cans, but it hasn't collapsed yet.

I'm willing to part with it because it was a rough plan, and doesn't hold as many cans as my current setup for the footprint.

Last Day today for discount on foodsaver vacuum sealer:

from Survival blog.com:

o o o

Just a few days left! More than 400 SurvivalBlog readers have bought Foodsaver vacuum packers at the special December sale price. We get a little "piece of the action" for each one that is sold. So this a is a great way to save money and to support SurvivalBlog! Don't miss out on this sale! You can buy a FoodSaver v2830 for $59.99 (originally $169.99) with free Standard Shipping for orders over $100, directly from FoodSaver.com.Use code L8FAV28 at checkout. This offer is valid during the month of December, or while supplies last. By buying foods in bulk and re-packaging them in more handy (single meal size) vacuum bags, you can save a lot of money on your grocery bill. Buy a FoodSaver. You'll be glad that you did!

http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=s&cid=0&pid=443

Back
Top Bottom